Sprint Workout

Understanding that there are many different variables that go into programming an effective workout - athletic base, skill, timeline, fitness and so on - I was wondering what teams are actually doing "in" practice. For example - what does a workout for designed specifically to increase top speed look like? Not endurance or aerobic conditioning - simply to get a crew to learn how to move effectively at max capacity.

15 min warm-up/technique (on the water)

[30 sec. max effort/ 1 min. off]x4
10 min active recovery paddle
4 min rest
Repeat x4

5 min cool down

One hour and forty minutes total on the water.

I paddle here on Guam and operate in somewhat of a void - so I tend to come here a lot for whatever guidance I can glean from OCP. I also try to look at other protocols for training and see what translates. In any case - I appreciate whatever insight any of you might be able to share.

Submitted by haggan on Mon, 06/09/2014 - 12:54pm

Yeah, we do stuff like that. A common variation is to use a pyramid structure involving time and/or effort. For example, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 minute pieces with intensity scaling down as the pieces get longer.

#1 Tue, 06/10/2014 - 1:25pm

Intervals can get pretty boring quickly. A drill that we used to do back in the day at Off Shore was to set up a string of boats (e.g. 4-6), with the personnel in each boat switching from each practice to the next practice when we would do the drill again (e.g not every practice). All except the last boat in the string would paddle at medium race pace (e.g. not all out, but not dogging it either). On the coaches command, the last boat would swing out to the side and HAVE to pass ALL of the boats in front of it. We did this 2-3 times in a practice, depending on what we were doing in the rest of our practice. You can be as creative as possible for making the intervals challenging, yet unique and somewhat fun!

#2 Tue, 06/10/2014 - 3:15pm

Thank you for the feed back gentlemen. We also do both pyramid and "Indian run" type workouts.

jerryguy - "Intervals can get pretty boring quickly" - This is exactly why I ask. I'd like to have variety, while not at the expense of an effective, targeted workout.

#3 Wed, 06/11/2014 - 12:41pm

Thank you for the feedback gentlemen. We also do both Pyramid and "Indian Run" style workouts.

"Intervals can get pretty boring quickly" - this is also one of the reasons why I ask the question. I understand that sometimes you just have to put your nose to the grindstone and work. However, variety does help keep athletes coming back.

#4 Thu, 06/12/2014 - 2:10pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.169 seconds.