Storing OC1 properly

OC1: Naia (Fiberglass/Polyester resin)

Garage: about a foot too short, and is the only option at this time to house the canoe safely

Question: if I were to angle the OC1 on the side of a wall, in order to fit it in the garage, would this affect the structure of the canoe? I'm technically not sure why, but I thought this might be a concern, and then when I mentioned it to a friend, he asked me the same question. My alternate plan is to hang it from the ceiling, diagonally, but I'd prefer not to do that.

Anyone with more experience that I have - just bought this thing in October last year - please chime in. Mahalos!!

Submitted by dcha on Thu, 03/06/2014 - 9:26pm

I had to look into this as well at one point... my garage was 19' long and canoe 20'8". Same as you, I thought about mounting it diagonally on the wall.
I found the best method was to have the canoe upside-down, and the main mounts/supports on the cockpit... meaning the foot-well and seat area as those deck walls are the strongest parts of the canoe.

As for the supports, make sure they're sturdy and well padded. It is also a good idea to pad the floor and ceiling where the tips of the canoe point in case you sway a little too far when moving it.

#1 Fri, 03/07/2014 - 7:28am

I also have a 19' garage. I hang mine via $30 bike rack pulley system. Its angled and fits perfectly.

#2 Fri, 03/07/2014 - 3:05pm

Should be fine hanging on the wall at an angle on padded racks. Put the higher rack to go just behind the front iako hole (foot well area) and the lower rack to go just behind the rear iako hole. That way the canoe sits on the racks (upside down) with the hump at the foot well holding the canoe from sliding and the same goes for the rear iako hump helping to hold it. Can also put a bungy cord or two to keep it in place.

Good idea to put a rubber mat, carpet or padding on the floor where the back end would be so you don't bump the end when putting it on or taking it off the rack.

#3 Fri, 03/07/2014 - 7:10pm

OK these solutions sound like what I was thinking and I'm glad to hear it would work. Ideally, the angle rack/bungee cord idea would be my preference since it is fast and easy. I also like the idea about padding the area/wall/floor for added protection. Unless anyone else thinks it would affect the canoe structure (warp? like I said, I dunno, ha!)... but if there are no other objections - I think that is the plan! Shoots, Mahalos!!

P.S. I will post a picture when I am done to make sure I did it right :)

#4 Fri, 03/07/2014 - 7:35pm

Depends on resin HDT ... If you hung it from ends or layed on side on/near ends and your garage gets hot, you could possible see somthing new show up. Also chance of this while sitting on rack in hot sun if the boat is a dark color.

Upside down, supported close to iako the best in all scenarios IMO.

aloha,
pog

#5 Fri, 03/07/2014 - 8:51pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.300 seconds.