V-1 design

I would love some insight on the top V-1 models out there. I havent had the chance to see the hull designs of the following V-1's and would love if there was a little more info on some of the canoes functions. Of the 3 V-1 canoes I have used (Ah min, Aukahi and Timi Va'a) there seems to be alot of differences.

Canoes I would like to know more about (pictures of the underside of Hull would be epic):

-Pure Viper Venom (non rudder)
-Fai 3x (prob the most popular V1 I have seen through out the world)
-Vaa Factory
-ARE Va'a

Its been quiet for some time on OCP.com any and all info would be appreciated.

Mahalo

Submitted by kauaisurf85 on Mon, 11/17/2014 - 10:40am

I got the chance to paddle a Fai 3x when it first came to California about 3 years ago. I had an Aukahi at the time, so that was the only canoe I could really compare it to, but one thing that I noticed about the Fai 3x was that it had a crazy ability to pick up and run on really small swell (wind chop, boat wakes), but it didn't bury its nose as much as the Aukahi did. Compared to the Aukahi, the Fai almost felt "slippery" on bigger swell because that nose wanted to stay above the water.

At 6'-0" and 190lb, I felt crammed into the Fai like a sardine, but the canoe was super responsive to body position and twisting your hips to slightly adjust your direction.

Unfortunately, I only got the opportunity to paddle it one time so my feedback is somewhat limited. I hope it helps anyway :)

#1 Mon, 11/17/2014 - 12:20pm

@TI Thanks, thats more than I could say about the Fai.

#2 Mon, 11/17/2014 - 12:46pm

Some food for thought. Vee in the midsection could have a big effect if you're high centered like this.

#3 Mon, 11/17/2014 - 2:26pm

You could show hull like this. Good visual. Drape contrasting color rope over your hull. Bango!!!!

#4 Mon, 11/17/2014 - 7:43pm

A hull shot of my old Aukahi and a Fai 3 hull shape:

#5 Tue, 11/18/2014 - 8:56am

A hull shot from the underside would be much more informative. Thanks for the shot though

#6 Tue, 11/18/2014 - 9:17am

Rete Ebb won super aito on a timi vaa i wonder if its the pueo in tahiti! aloha

#7 Tue, 11/18/2014 - 7:02pm

How is the build of the Fai3x that is now being demoed on Oahu?

Stronger than a typical tahitian canoe? built by tiger to Hawaii standards?

Our Ah-min is super soft and flexible which isnt good in the surf, It feels like it absorbs the wave rather than catching it. But it absolutely flys in the river, I feel its an unfair advantage in a river Time Trial.

Very fragile build of my Timi is kind of scary in the crossed up surf, but if the surf is slightly organized I would be impressed to find an easier or faster canoe to control and surf.

In my opinion the largest drawback of the Tahitian Canoes is the build and quality of construction.

My Aukahi is by far the best built canoe out there. Bulletproof, can roll it in the surf (not recommended) and be fine.

If anyone knows of a Fai3x coming to Kauai Let me know! I want to try it.

Happy Holidays

#8 Tue, 12/02/2014 - 9:36am

What is the most aggessive ama setting for the Aukahi? What is the least aggressive setting?

The ama's bow has three holes in a vertical line. The ama's stern has a thumb screw that allows the paddler to insert the iako into the ama either a little or alot.

#9 Sun, 12/28/2014 - 11:28am

YankeeHookele, here's a link that explains ama rigging. http://www.kamanucomposites.com/2013/ama_rig The article uses the Pueo, but the same idea should hold true for your Aukahi.

#10 Sun, 12/28/2014 - 3:40pm

I got the chance to check out the First Fai 3x on Kauai.

The Hull looks like it has slightly more volume than my Timi, with no continuous V through the mid section.
The nose looks like it has a softer entry than most other V-1s I have seen, But the tail looks almost exactly like the Timi. This Va'a seems much smaller than the Aukahi, maybe allowing for a easier control when in surf?

Ama looks like a modified version of the Fai from Tahiti from a strong V to a flattened out section at the rear.

Build quality is awesome, feels much stronger than the average Tahiti built Canoe, but not as quite strong as our Aukahi.

I have heard that it is more maneuverable than Aukahi...does that mean its harder to steer in surf? oooor no?

Hope everyone is safe after that crazy wind storm that blew through.

Aloha

#11 Tue, 12/30/2014 - 8:19pm

looks like there were some fast guys on the Fai3 for the KIRA race.

6 of the top ten on a V-1?

#12 Sun, 01/11/2015 - 11:35am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.189 seconds.