What are the choices for the bigger guys OC1

General question, Have some bigger guys that have come out to try OC-6 this.
Our club has a few days a week where a lot of us go out on our 0c1/Oc2.
We have some of the bigger guys that want to get on a OC1. Weight range from 200 to 250.
I saw a guy on the Scorpius that was 230 , however I was just told the bigger Scorpius model is not being built anymore.
We have Huki that is local to us and I know Jude can make a OC1 for bigger guys but wanted to gather other options.
Anything you guys can suggest would be helpful.
Mahalo.
esbaypod

Submitted by esbaypod on Thu, 03/27/2014 - 8:22am

Big as in weight or big as in height? Or both?

I am a tall guy at 6'5 and run about 195 and I ride a Storm. Fits me really well.

I am also pretty sure you can get a full size Scorpius still through Ozone.

#1 Thu, 03/27/2014 - 8:49am

Thanks for your respone, mostly weight, it's their first or second year paddling.
None of them more than 6 foot 1 but the heaviest being 245 and 6 foot tall.

#2 Thu, 03/27/2014 - 11:33am

I'm 6'6", 245+,
Kai made me an extended footwell Scorpius that works perfect, only problem is that iakos had to changed a little. Another suggestion-- if you ask for a canoe to be custom built for heavyweights, ask for venturi drains to be moved further toward the bottom of the boat, standard drains leave water in the footwells with the boat sitting further down in the h2o.....
He made it about a year ago, and delivered another duplicate to CA just 4 months ago, I'm pretty sure that he can still make a custom scorpius on maui.

#3 Thu, 03/27/2014 - 11:35am

Thank you for the response, I will post this information on our site. The guys had been looking all over the web for someone that had a Scorpius for sale and we only found one in Florida via Crazy paddles, however it was in South Carolina and one of the guys from my team brought it already and is having it shipped here to Northern California. I will have them look at Ozone to get them a boat and have it shipped here.
Thanks again for your response.

#4 Thu, 03/27/2014 - 12:14pm

I am 6' 230 lbs and have been paddling a huki v1r for the past 3 years. I love this canoe. it works great in our sf bay area waters. it is light and solid, and jude makes excellent water vehicles. I'm selling this canoe because I just bought a scorpius. check out the add on this site. I'm located in marin county and will transport to anywhere in the bay area.

#5 Thu, 03/27/2014 - 4:38pm

Thanks Tasele,
I will have them check it out, just curious as to why you moved from the Huki to the Scorpius

#6 Thu, 03/27/2014 - 10:18pm

Will Pidduck in Ventura Calif has a Ozone Scorpius he might sell. He bought a custom XM with extended footwell.

#7 Thu, 03/27/2014 - 11:01pm

Thanks paddlefast

#8 Fri, 03/28/2014 - 4:39am

I'm the guy Paddlefast mentioned who has the ozone Scorpius in Ventura, I may be willing to part with it. Send me a message.

#9 Fri, 03/28/2014 - 1:22pm

I just read that you can now order an extended footwell Scorpius. i also noticed that the Ozone web page no longer lists the Scorpius so I'm going to assume a new one will come from Maui. In every post about larger paddlers I've seen the Fusion listed, so I'm going to list that one too.

#10 Fri, 03/28/2014 - 2:52pm

I have a scorpius for sale if you want to try it.

#11 Fri, 03/28/2014 - 3:56pm

If you can send me either your email or a link for the boat to see, I will pass the information on
Thanks

#12 Fri, 03/28/2014 - 4:51pm

Yeah on the website the Scorpius is not listed anymore so we tried started calling dealers to see if there were any available. Since we are all pretty new to the sport, we did not know about this site.
We have had more luck finding one on this site than we did calling a lot of the dealers.
The one guy I mentioned in the earlier post brought a Scorpius and he has never done OC1 before and he did not even demo the canoe but it sounds like it will be a solid buy for him and something he can paddle for a while. I was surprised that for such a larger volume boat would be so light. Thanks everyone for helping us as we found so many reviews on the XM or the XS but not a lot on the Scorpius.

#13 Fri, 03/28/2014 - 5:29pm

The Scorpius is still listed on the Outrigger Zone (OZone) website.

http://outriggerzone.com/products/oc1/scorpius/

Contact.
Outrigger Zone, LLC
Phone: +1 (808) 573 7852

Email - info(at)outriggerzone.com

#14 Fri, 03/28/2014 - 5:49pm

Thanks E7, I looked at the Products page but did not see the Scorpius, I did not hit the link to the XM or XS to see that the Scorpius was still listed on the Product page.
Thanks

#15 Fri, 03/28/2014 - 6:53pm

Not sure if Ozone still makes the Scorpious but when they did, it did not have the extended footwell for the tall guys. Those can be ordered as Deppe from Long Beach did from KAi Waa on Maui. The XS and XM from Ozone have the extended footwells. Also available from Maui.

#16 Fri, 03/28/2014 - 9:28pm

on a side note, I have an XM and I've been as heavy as 250#. Although it was tippier, as the hull sinks lower where the ama doesn't, it still performed very well. Even with my limited paddling ability.

#17 Fri, 03/28/2014 - 10:56pm

Well while the weather in the Bay was not really good for paddling today we manages to get a got a 90 minute practice in today and after practice some of the heavier guys did try the XM and it was OK.
We should have one Scorpius to try next week, we will see how it goes. Thanks guys for all your input

#18 Sat, 03/29/2014 - 1:41pm

where in the bay area do you paddle? I'm launching from either the cove in Sausalito or out of 101 surf sports in the morning.

#19 Sat, 03/29/2014 - 5:57pm

We launch out of San Leandro.

#20 Sun, 03/30/2014 - 1:55pm

I am interested in buying a oc1. I saw some of you had a scorpius for sale. I am interested. can you get in touch with me.

#21 Sun, 03/30/2014 - 3:56pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.140 seconds.