Antares vs Pueo vs XS

Now that the Antares is out and about, does anyone have any input. I have a Pueo which I love. Paddled an XS once and thought that for my size (170lbs 5'10") it felt incredible. How does the Antares compare?

Submitted by 1968 on Mon, 04/06/2015 - 11:47am

any opinions/reviews on this?

#1 Mon, 06/22/2015 - 9:32am

I be interested to hear some input too. To me the Antares looks like Kai waa's version of the Pueo, I could be totally wrong as I have never paddle either.

#2 Mon, 06/22/2015 - 9:51am

@watersledder

Looks like a pueo how?

#3 Mon, 06/22/2015 - 10:12am

they both have two iako, ama, rudder, bow, and carry a single paddler.

they're identical.

wow the google ads on this site are uncanny. i just got one for mail order Russian women. wonder what i looked at in my browsing history that triggered that?

#4 Mon, 06/22/2015 - 12:59pm

@Kauaisurf85 Its got a straighter Ama,higher seat and looks like its slightly less volume then the Scorpius.

I don't know, I live in middle of nowhere and don't get to see any of these boats, just trying stir up this thread since I am curious what the Antares is really like.

#5 Mon, 06/22/2015 - 1:45pm

Sorry, I should have said, it looks like Kai waa answer to the Pueo.

#6 Mon, 06/22/2015 - 1:53pm

Paddled both I feel antares likes to dance in surf with the right rider. Pueo felt like the first generation with more volume so felt better in the surf than the first pueo. The new ama on the antares feels more loose or easier to quarter. The pueo 2 feels about the same. The ehukai is also up there with these boats so the right rider with smart training would make any of these boats good or best. Personally i would buy a fai 3x v1 paddle that all the time. aloha.

#7 Mon, 06/22/2015 - 10:17pm

I've spent a lot of time on all 3 canoes, started out with the Pueo, moved to a season on the XS, and now paddled the Antares for a season. They're all totally different boats, and in no way is the Antares similar to the Pueo. Although it's aesthetic design is slightly different from previous Kai boats, the hulls are very different. The Pueo is a great boat, and I had a lot of success with it, but I believe the Antares is the best boat on the market right now for me, every paddler is different, but to me the Antares can surf easier and with less effort than other designs, and in the flats is a really easy, comfortable boat to paddle. My 2 cents

#8 Mon, 06/22/2015 - 11:41pm

I would be really interested to know how the Antares compares to the Euhkai, if anyone has paddle both. I haven't been on either but choosing between them for my next purchase.

#9 Tue, 06/23/2015 - 3:18am

My friend is about to pull the trigger on an Antares, but she wanted to get a little more info on it. Is there a suggested weight minimum/maximum on it?

#10 Tue, 06/23/2015 - 6:33am

how about rough and flat water experience between XS w New Ama and Antares?

does the seating position of the Antares make it a comfortable boat from the XS?

#11 Tue, 06/23/2015 - 8:33am

There's no weight limit with the Antares, we've had smaller people as well as 200 plus paddlers use it with similar performance and positive feedback, just like pueo's and ehukai's big and small people paddle it all the same.

Seating position makes Antares way more comfortable than XS in my opinion, and the new ama helps the XS in surf with steering and doesn't grab when taking hard angles. In flat it's a smoother ride and doesn't inhibit the hull speed. Just a better ama all around.

#12 Tue, 06/23/2015 - 10:07pm

Just a couple of thoughts for newer paddlers thinking about buying canoes, especially as prices are now $4000 to $5000 plus delivery and taxes.

-It takes an average paddler about a year to dial in a canoe and get comfortable in various conditions.
-There is no such thing as a canoe that is fastest in all conditions. In general the newer canoes work OK/Well in a lot of conditions. Most people can only afford 1 canoe. Think of a professional surfer. They have a variety of boards for different surf and conditions. My Pahoa was faster "for me" in "some" surf conditions than a Pueo, Antares, or Ehukai. A Hurricane is faster in some conditions too.
-Lighter isn't always better. You sacrifice strength. How long to you plan on keeping your canoe? What conditions do you paddle in? Are you hard on your equipment?
-Comfort is very, very important-and that depends on your paddling style, torso, leg, and arm length, back strength and flexibility and many more factors.It amazes me that some canoe manufactures make an awesome product and then provide a seat that is hard as a rock and charge lots of $$$$.
-There will be a Pueo 3, a Ehukai 2, and-not an Antares 2, since Kai will select some other constellation or star.
-For a super novice paddler a used canoe is best bet. But I understand the "new" factor.
-There is no black or white this is faster than that. there is grey area and unknown factors.
-Finally for a new paddler never forget SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY.
-The SUP trend is great and many people are paddling that never paddled before and some are dying because they have no idea about safety, water conditions, or their abilities.

#13 Wed, 06/24/2015 - 6:06am

Will is correct regarding the seating position on the Antares as compared to my Scorpius. When I got the new Ama for my Scorpius, rough water and surfing because a lot more fun, big difference for me going from the Scorpius to the Antates and a big difference for me going between my Antares and my Pueo2. Kona J is right on the money. Ultimately it will be about comfort, you can't go wrong with any of the big3 right now, all nice canoes!

#14 Wed, 06/24/2015 - 9:51am

A lot of great information from Kona J.

#15 Wed, 06/24/2015 - 1:10pm

I hate to enter the fray because I always get slammed by someone. To me the evolution of the canoes have pretty much gone the same way. Nothing radically different...I would love to try the Antares. Looks like a great canoe. One thing I did note with the Antares and with the Ehukai...is that the ama has really gotten pretty close to the design of the Pueo's ama which I considered to be very cutting edge at its time and said so . Please.,,..do not tell me its not true.

#16 Wed, 06/24/2015 - 6:31pm

I believe people are intrigued to hear people's experiences, reviews on the various boats mentioned...instead of the implied "collusion" or "complicity"

#17 Thu, 06/25/2015 - 5:27am

I own a Pueo and the XM as well as V1X ( Huki) I think the Huki is a better all around canoe. The Pueo top speed is not what the Hukis is on flat water and the XM just feels to light it also seems to flatten out on higher speeds. I personally feel the Huki V1X is the best all around boat on the market. I paddle on flat water of Lake Havasu and I do not get to the ocean much , but it seems the Pueo and XS are better suited for the ocean. Just my thoughts on the matter. I do own 6 boats Scorpius XM Pueo, Osprey , (2) Huki's V1X and an OLD oc2 Viper Duo. Will be buying my third Huki soon. We have our whole family paddling in AZ

#18 Thu, 07/09/2015 - 9:39am

I don't doubt that the Huki is faster in flat water than the other canoes, but to deem it a better all around canoe based on its flat water speed seems like incomplete reasoning. Best for your purposes, certainly.

#19 Thu, 07/09/2015 - 11:19am

Moving from the XS, The Anatres has more volume and surfs easier..It seemed that it doesnt take off as quick as the XS but you're able to maintain the glide rather "easier" once you get going. AMA is fantastic. The boat seem to prefer a shorter stroke as it really moves in the beginning of the power phase. I also appreciate the higher sitting position as it makes it a comfortable boat to paddle.

Happy overall. No regrets. Hopefully I dont embarrass the boat.

My .02

#20 Sun, 08/02/2015 - 4:24pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.242 seconds.