Anybody use a Kialoa Otoro?

q

Anybody use a Kialoa Otoro? How do you like it and are there particular quirks to this paddle? Would you know how it might compare to an Axel II? Thanks!

Submitted by q on Thu, 01/22/2015 - 2:50pm

I have one, it is very light, in some conditions it is almost too light it can get bounced around by the wind a bit. The blade is a little smaller than an Axel, so it might be best as an OC-1 blade. You would have to adjust to a different paddle shape, as the otoro is narrow, with a longer blade compared to the Axel.

#1 Thu, 01/29/2015 - 7:39pm

I have one, along with a Nehu Double Bend, a Hoku full carbon, an Axel II and a Lanikai. And I used a Holly off and on for many years. I gotta say I love all the Kialoa variety of paddles, but each has its place depending on different variables. The Otoro is a smaller surface area than all the other named above except the Holly, which is discontinued. As AC said, it is a longer and more narrow blade than the Axel II so you have to make a small adjustment to account for that extra length, but it is not overwhelming. The blade is light, thin and super clean in and out of the water, as is the Nehu and Hoku. The Axel II and Lanikai are older molds, so they do not slice in and out as clean as the others, but they are still great blades too. Wahine in the OC-6: Otoro can do, but for men, OC-1 mo bettah. I believe it is only straight shaft as opposed to Nehu and Hoku which come double bend. That's really a preference thing. Anyhow, in summary, Otoro is a great blade.

#2 Thu, 02/05/2015 - 9:19pm

q

Appreciate the input. Glad you guys agreed it's best for OC-1, that's what its for. Got one on order. Much Mahalo!

#3 Fri, 02/06/2015 - 7:20pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.158 seconds.