HELP/ADVICE Needed: Rudder cable inside hull of OC1

Aloha gang,
Hopefully someone can provide some help or advice… One of the black cable guide tubes has slipped inside the hull of my FUZE at the rear of the canoe and now I can not pass new cabling through the boat.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? Can the original exit hole be drilled out a bit larger to find the end of the tube? Does an access hatch need to be drilled into the top deck?

Mahalo nui.

Submitted by SFBayPaddler on Wed, 03/18/2015 - 10:15am

I'll help you over the phone. Call me: 808-443-1180

#1 Fri, 03/20/2015 - 9:28am

Something similar happened to me - the rudder cable snapped, and the tape i used to join the new cable to the old got stuck inside the black guide tube!
so now with old cable out, and tube blocked with tape. Figured i'd have to replace the black tube too, but is it possible without putting access hatch in? It seems like the tube is attached to the hull in some points...

Cheers

#2 Wed, 04/01/2015 - 7:27am

What kind of tape did you use that got stuck inside the guide tube?

Try spraying some Goo Gone or any type liquid that will dissolve the glue on the tape into the tube and let it sit for a while to let it work itself in.

Get some 16 guage steel wire (20 feet or so) and push it through one side to push out the tape to the other side. If it just goes through the tape without pushing it out, push the wire all the way through to the other side and bend the tip back to make a hook and pull the wire back from the side you pushed it through to pull the tape out.

A friend of mine used the same method to clear out a rusty cable that broke and rusted in place in an old Naia. He sprayed WD-40 and 3-in-1 oil in and tilted it to let gravity work it in. Then he worked the steel wire in by hand and an air compressor to blast air to slowly clear the obstruction. Took him a few hours, but he got the cable guide clear to put in new cables.

#3 Tue, 04/14/2015 - 5:58pm

great idea E7M! - i had used some electrical tape. Will let you know how i get on..

#4 Fri, 04/17/2015 - 8:22pm

Use JB Weld on the cable ends to secure the new and old let dry then just pull through after new cable is in place cut old cable off and you are done ...No tape to mess with or get stuck in the tubes.

#5 Wed, 04/22/2015 - 2:41am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.189 seconds.