Iphone apps for tracking

What're the best iphone apps for tracking? I'm mainly just looking to keep my wife informed when I'm doing a run alone. In case of a broken boat, it'd be nice for someone to know where I'm at.

Submitted by luke on Thu, 04/16/2015 - 8:44am

Find my Husband, only $13.43 dollars on the mytunes store.

other than that you could use Find my Iphone, and she will be able to find you as long as theres battery & signal.

Cheers

#1 Thu, 04/16/2015 - 10:02am

Edomondo, maybe for Iphone? We use an old waterproof droid with Glympse app in the ocean, and track and view with Iphone on land. Worked great for Oahu's and State Champ's. Only problem is that it tracks for four (4) hours max. If could extend the tracking time to 6 or 8 hours w/o stopping and resetting would be great.

ps: no forget float and tether for the phone.

#2 Thu, 04/16/2015 - 5:01pm

Use Find Friends app on iPhone. It's free. Runs in the background. If you and your buddy or wife or homie both log in and allow your friends to track you it's pretty accurate and updates as often as you refresh it.

#3 Thu, 04/16/2015 - 9:40pm

Two options are already built in:
1. Find My iPhone would be the most reliable, and also comes in handy if your phone gets lost or stolen. It would require her to log in using your Apple ID and password either from the iCloud website or from the app on her own phone.

1. Share my location. This requires she also has an iPhone. Open up a text message chat with her, click on the details button at the top, and click on Share My Location. You can share for an hour, a day, or indefinitely, and turn it off whenever you want. While you're sharing your location, she can open up a chat with you in Messages and click the details button and see a map of where you are.

The crappy thing about either of these is that they are too dumb to get lat/long coordinates. If you are lost she won't be able to relay your coordinates to search & rescue. She can screenshot it and send a message to their phone though.

#4 Sun, 04/19/2015 - 11:45pm

the Find Friends one is also built into the iphone. It works by using the pings that your phone already sends to cell towers all the time. you don't have to actually search or log in. just open the app and it tells you where your friends are on a map. Also tells you how far they are from you. You can set alerts too. For example if someone is doing a hawaii kai run you could get a notification when they get to Kaimana, home, etc. The major problem, as with all of these, is that it requires cell reception.

#5 Mon, 04/20/2015 - 8:44am

The major problem, as with all of these, is that it requires cell reception.

Get one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Fast-Find-Personal-Locator-Beacon/dp/B008M64COO/re...

Mine fits in the pocket of my board shorts. The only difference between this and an EPIRB is that it doesn't float but it's a lot smaller, so I loop the lanyard through the key loop in my pocket.

#6 Mon, 04/20/2015 - 10:25pm

It is unfortunate that a great Droid app, like Boat Coach, discontinued the tracking feature, which could keep track of all racers using the app, during a race via Google Map. Glympse can only do one paddler per outing, but being able to drop off paddler, shop Costco and monitor on iphone at same time is really convenient. Especially, when you can see where the paddler is and how fast they going out in the ocean.

#7 Tue, 04/21/2015 - 11:57am

I've been using Find Friends, and it works amazingly well for my purposes. No more grumpy wife waiting for me at the end of a run because I'm an hour later than I told her… she can now time her arrival to perfectly coincide with mine. Find Friends may be the greatest technological achievement of all time.

#8 Tue, 04/21/2015 - 1:49pm

Try RoadID app on the Iphone. Comes in handy and you can assign anyone to track you. Its geared towards road bicyclists, but not limited to. I have limited use with this app, but seems to be working just fine and simple for users on either end. I believe there is an emergency alert if you are non active, but that may only work if you are on the side of the road, not moving with the current and the wind.

#9 Wed, 04/22/2015 - 5:55am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.229 seconds.