Looking for opinions... replacing my busted up scorpius xm

Folks,

I had an accident and busted up my (second gen, ozone built) scorpius xm. I actually had additional (to my homeowners) insurance on my boat so insurance is going to cut me a check after it was determined that the repair cost would be close to replacement cost, and the canoe would never be the same (weight etc) again.

I really liked my scorpius xm - thought it was a good boat.

I paddle once/week in mostly flat water around BIAC in redwood city (SF Bay) with 1-5 summer downwind runs (yes I know that is not enough). I am looking for opinions from folks who have paddled a scorpius XM in comparison to:

1. antares
  2. ehukai
  3. huki v1-r (post 2010 model)
  4. other?

I am 5'10", 45 years old and weigh 200lbs. I have been outrigger paddling for about 10 years now - that said I am no where near an elite, fast paddler!

Thanks for your thoughts.

lndbrusr aka cj

Submitted by lndbrusr on Thu, 11/12/2015 - 8:58am

If you liked your XM, you'll love your Antares.

#1 Thu, 11/12/2015 - 12:18pm

pueo or huki vx1 in that order aloha basil

#2 Thu, 11/12/2015 - 8:00pm

I have never paddled a scorpius xm but I just sold my pegasus and bought a Ehukai. The Ehukai is diffenitly more comfortable and faster then my pegasus was. I am 6ft. 200lbs, so perhaps I was too big for the Pegasus. On really steep waves it can pearl a bit, so you need to lean back, but it glides better and is more comfortable then my old boat, so I don't mind. I have owned a Hurricane and an Huki V1-X too, and I would say this is my favourite boat so far. The hurricane was fast but just not a great boat in the rough seas.

I had hope to purchase a Antares but it was unavailable till next year so I went with the Ehukai, and I am happy. I hope to pick up a Antares next year and sell whichever boat I like least.

#3 Fri, 11/13/2015 - 4:43am

Thanks for everyone's comments and thoughts.

I have decided to give an antares a try!

lndbrusr

#4 Mon, 11/23/2015 - 7:40am

Nice. If you don't mind, post your thoughts on the Antares after you get it. I am interested to here how it compares to the Scorpius

#5 Mon, 11/23/2015 - 7:54am

#6 Wed, 12/02/2015 - 11:22pm

buy Antares

#7 Wed, 12/02/2015 - 11:29pm

I just bought an Antares last month and primarily do downwind runs with it several times a week. Since you had a Kai Wa'a boat already, you'll like the Antares. It carries really well from bump to bump and works great in flat water too. It also has several other improvements like a deeper cockpit so its more comfortable, awesome cockpit drains and a safety feature that will make your rudder pull straight should you ever have a steering cable malfunction.
Buy yourself a Christmas present, life is short and you deserve it.

#8 Wed, 12/02/2015 - 11:10pm

should be coming in mid december!

cj

#9 Thu, 12/03/2015 - 10:55am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.198 seconds.