Marshallese Sailing Canoe Best (fastest) design in the Pacific?

i wouldn't argue against it. seen these things go in the lagoon on Majuro. they're unreal fast.

the lagoons are cool because they are super windy when the trades are cranking but there's hardly any fetch. so the boats can be really streamlined and low to the water without having to worry about big seas. not to mention the asymmetrical hulls that are able to track straight without any steering input. pretty radical stuff.

#1 Fri, 04/03/2015 - 11:21am

awesome sailors. When I worked in Kwajalein in the 70's had a good friend named JoJo from Jaluit. He was in his 50's at the time. He used to tell me how he would sail with his father across open water to other atolls,,,,a few hundred miles at times. I asked him what they did when they were hit by the frequent squalls common out there. He said they would drop the mast and sail and let the canoe fill with water so the gunnels were just above the ocean surface,,,,then they would lie down on the canoe and let the storm sweep over them. Once in the clear.,,,they would bale, restep the mast and proceed. No navigational aids, no radios, sailing by instinct.

#2 Sat, 04/04/2015 - 6:57am

Wow! thanks for making and sharing this....should be shown in all our schools...

#3 Wed, 04/08/2015 - 10:31am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.159 seconds.