OC6 underseat hydration set-up

Has anyone found or developed and easy system for holding a hydration bladder (in this case a 100 oz camelback) under an OC6 seat for long distance iron racing? Besides using a whole bunch of duct tape which tends to get sticky in the hot sun and sticks to your shorts.
Thanks!

Submitted by talisman2012 on Mon, 08/24/2015 - 9:38am

I bought a mesh bag (laundry bag) that will hold the bladder and then ran some webbing with plastic clips through the mesh (had to make a couple cuts). Then run the straps around the seat. you just need to make sure that the straps don't cut off the water supply or cause the bladder to turn upside down and the keep the liquid from flowing out.

#1 Mon, 08/24/2015 - 10:13am

one easy way is to rubber it to your seat and just let it hang there.

#2 Tue, 08/25/2015 - 6:31am

you could also attach a plastic bottle(2 litre) with top cut off to the gunwhale of the canoe or a piece of 6" PVC pipe. if you mount it just forward of your knees then you won't hit it and you can slide refill bladders in/out. duct tape across base of pipe will keep bladder from sliding out. if you don't wanna put screws in the canoe then epoxy or poly resin a small wood block mounting point in the boat and put screws in that. maybe you could mount pvc pipe to bottom of seat?

#3 Tue, 08/25/2015 - 6:23pm

Thanks for the input! These are some great ideas. It'll mostly be used when travelling to other places where it's not our team's canoe. So it'd have to be an easy system to install pre-race and then undo. So maybe using the bike tubes/straps, and some sort of laundry bag will do the trick.
Cheers!

#4 Sat, 08/29/2015 - 7:42am

rubber strap works easy and fast! as long as your hose is long enough

#5 Thu, 09/03/2015 - 6:53pm

Take a look at Camelbak's "newer" designed UnBottle Insulated Reservoir system that comes with either a 70 oz (2L) or 100 oz (3L) Antidote bladder with an insulated cover that has some buckles on it that you can run 1 inch webbing straps or rubber straps through to tie it to the bottom of an OC6 seat. The bladder would be better held in place correctly in the insulated bag it comes with than sloshing around loosely in a mesh bag.

I had a setup with a 50 oz (1.5L) bladder in an insulated cover similar to the Camelbak Unbottle that I could strap to the bottom of an OC6 seat for shorter "iron races". Just be careful on how/where you route the drinking tube. I made the mistake one time of running it up the outside of my leg against the hull and it annoyed the hell out of me poking into my hip and leg. Between the legs or up the back of the seat to the side and under the arm worked best for me. I had to get an extender tube for this setup as the regular tubing wasn't long enough to reach coming up from under the seat. Didn't use the whole length of the extender tube as half the length is all a really needed to make it reach for my use.

#6 Wed, 09/09/2015 - 9:37pm

The "Unbottle" does the trick.

#7 Thu, 09/10/2015 - 12:30pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.416 seconds.