Scorpius carbon iakos

Hi, was just wondering if anyone has heard of the carbon iakos breaking on the scorpius XM. Only asking to compare to why aluminum would be preferred over carbon or visa versa.

Thanks!

Submitted by sjli1 on Wed, 01/14/2015 - 10:40am

I use to have a Storm, one time during a downwind the carbon fiber iakos cracked. Made it back to shore, but I was really lucky.

I have a Scorpius now, and the aluminium are much heavier. MUCH. BUT, they have never cracked on me, and I never stress about them.

#1 Wed, 01/14/2015 - 11:28am

My friends and I go out in pretty good (rough) open ocean conditions often and have never broken a carbon iako other than in shoreline surf. Depending where you paddle, if you feel more confident with aluminum, Kai can make you a set.

#2 Wed, 01/14/2015 - 3:00pm

FWIW.. I'm told All of the latest carbon iako from Ozone are double the wall thickness versus the ones they made a few years ago as there were a few of the first generation iako break in big surf conditions. Even with twice the carbon as before they are still half the weight of aluminum. I still use the first generation iako on an XS and have never broken one.

#3 Wed, 01/14/2015 - 3:59pm

I have broken the rear carbon iako on a Scorpius XM. I got sideways on a wave and went ama down pushing all my weight sideways on the ama. I was told that it would be better to have an ama break over the ama or hull. Not sure if that is true or not. I do know that my front iako mount on hull developed stress cracks, most likely when the rear iako broke. If I get in a similar situation, I now try to get away from the canoe before my weight adds to the problem.
I'm sure the carbon iakos are more than strong enough when they are produced. But I think about how we handle the iakos compared to the rest of the canoe. I know personally my iakos get knocked around when you are grabbing the two and the seat, and your paddle, then put in the back of the truck with everything else I have rolling around in the bed. Then they may even spend a day in there while the hull is safely tucked away in it's bag and carefully placed into it's covered rack. I would think that kind of treatment would degrade the strength of carbon over time.

#4 Thu, 01/15/2015 - 11:56am

Thanks Guys I appreciate the comments!

#5 Thu, 01/15/2015 - 5:08pm

Regarding what kalikikopa said. Even with aluminum iakos, if I see myself about to go ama under, I let myself get launched to let weight off and help try to prevent damage to the canoe. Just did it a few days ago. I think I nicked the gel coat flying over the ama, but digs are much easier to deal with than structural damage. When you go ama under with the full weight of the paddler something is going to have to give no matter the material.

#6 Fri, 01/16/2015 - 12:20pm

I agree as the aluminum iakos are strong enough to split the seam in same situation. Best to stay out of shoreline surf- never had a problem in open ocean but I bet it can happen.

#7 Sat, 01/17/2015 - 3:09pm

A friend of mine with an XS had both break in when going down a good size wave. Luckily she was rescued and so was the boat.

#8 Sat, 01/17/2015 - 3:44pm

Would recommend to any Downwind paddler to have Kai make a set of aluminum Iakos for training and rough water and save the carbon for race day. We'll worth the price and peace of mind.

#9 Sun, 01/18/2015 - 5:35am

The new Ozone canoes have created much thicker carbon fiber iakos. The Hawaii shipment just arrived and you will notice the difference in weight when you pick up a set of the new iakos..

#10 Tue, 01/20/2015 - 6:06pm

Charper, can you give us the price range that Kai charged to get a set of aluminum iakos made?

#11 Wed, 01/21/2015 - 6:56am

I believe the current price for Kai's custom aluminum iakos are $220-, and the replacement cost for the Ozone carbon are $250-. By the way, Paddlefast is correct on the new Ozone iakos, last weekend I came across a set off a new XM and the carbon iakos are greatly improved over last years. Even so, I'd still recommend a set of the aluminum.

#12 Wed, 01/21/2015 - 5:50pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.194 seconds.