Shipping?

Anyone know best way to ship an OC-1 from the Big Island to Oahu. I know Young Bros does. Any others? Do you have to crate it? Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Submitted by PizzaBoyOC on Wed, 11/25/2015 - 6:36pm

Send it mix freight I think? Strap it down to a flat rack with some padding. I've shipped a handful of canoes this way. They've never been damaged and it costed something like 75$? I forget exactly how much though. Could be wrong. Also I may have gotten super lucky on all boats making it damage free. But that's how I've done all my shipping.

#1 Thu, 11/26/2015 - 1:31pm

Thanks. Is that with Young Bros because the quoted me around $275?

#2 Thu, 11/26/2015 - 4:57pm

yes YB. someone who knows better could help more. But if you ship it on its own rack it's $275. If you go mix cargo or whatever it's called it ships same way but costs WAY less. Maybe someone else who ships lots of boats can chime in on this.

#3 Thu, 11/26/2015 - 6:52pm

Cool thanks JC

#4 Thu, 11/26/2015 - 7:37pm

Yeah, it shouldn't be more than $75 if you go on a mixed rack. While they call it "mixed," I've never seen them put anything else on it.

Just make sure to keep the dimensions as low as possible. Take the rudder off and bundle the ama close to the canoe. An extra few inches of height or width can add a lot to the price.

#5 Fri, 11/27/2015 - 12:54pm

If you worry about any damage, Insure it with Kris Speegle, with Allstate- "you're in good hands with Allstate"

#6 Tue, 12/22/2015 - 8:41pm

Just wanted to follow up on this to confirm what others have said.... I just loaded my oc-1 onto a "mixed cargo flat rack" this morning to ship from HNL to Kawaihae. No reservations necessary. Just bring it to YB the day before the barge is scheduled to go out. Bring your own rope or straps to tie it down. I think the rate depends on exactly how they measure the canoe. The person who checked me in did a quick measurement while the canoe was still on top of my car, so I was billed based on dimensions of 20'x1'x1'. Technically I think they are supposed to measure it including whatever soft thing you put it on, so I probably got a good deal. My total came to $55.68.

#7 Fri, 01/29/2016 - 11:32am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.644 seconds.