Tiny Paint Chip on Scorpius XM

Hi,

I have a tiny paint chip on the top of the cockpit area exposing the black carbon inside of my Scorpius after huliing and my paddle clipped it. Does someone know if it is a gel coat chip, or just a paint chip. And would you just fix it by sanding small surrounding area, reapplying gel coat, and sanding to smooth surface?

Thanks!

Submitted by sjli1 on Fri, 01/16/2015 - 9:55am

Paint chip. What color? The black, red, met. silver and the white Krylon spray paints are good matches. Not sure about other colors. Spray lite as directed on the can and put on a few coats. Mask off and protect (newspaper) other areas from overspray before spraying. Once dry, sand lightly with 1500 wet/dry sandpaper and it might look like new. Have paint thinner handy incase you want to start over.

#1 Fri, 01/16/2015 - 6:40pm

Thanks paddle fast.

Do I need to sand area prior to spray paint?

Thanks!

#2 Sat, 01/17/2015 - 11:34am

I'm not positive on this, but aren't the Kai waa Scorpius XM ( Maui built) gel coat, and the Ozone XM ( China built) paint? So it would depend on where it was made. The easy way to tell them apart is by looking at the tiller. Is it exposed or covered? Also Kai waa has 2 footwell drains, Ozone has one central drain.

#3 Sat, 01/17/2015 - 1:43pm

Kalikikopa it's ozone made. Do you by any chance know if I need to sand the area before spray painting the area? Or can I just apply spray paint right first thing... and then sand to finish?

Thanks

#4 Sat, 01/17/2015 - 2:32pm

Best to sand carefully with 350 grit to eliminated tiny ridge at the chip but overspray the sanded area. That Krylon sticks well to any clean surface. I know you had a Ozone built because you have carbon iakos. The red isn't Krylon, it is Rustoleum 2X (sticks to plastic)- I just checked. What are your canoe colors? Also Ace epoxy appliance white works well. You can also run clear over the dried paint and then sand that so you aren't sanding off the color. Do not mask close to the repair as you'll leave ridges.

#5 Sat, 01/17/2015 - 3:07pm

Paddlefast,

The part where the paint chip is white. So white krylon spray paint is the best option?

Also what do you mean "do not mask too close to the repair". Shouldn't I mask and protect the surrounding surface from overspray with masking tape and newspaper like half an inch from the repair area?

Thanks

#6 Sat, 01/17/2015 - 7:25pm

Paddlefast,

The part where the paint chip is white. So white krylon spray paint is the best option?

Also what do you mean "do not mask too close to the repair". Shouldn't I mask and protect the surrounding surface from overspray with masking tape and newspaper like half an inch from the repair area?

Thanks

#7 Sat, 01/17/2015 - 7:30pm

If it is a small chip, I would email ozone for the paint code chart (the emailed to me but I accidentally deleted it) and find an automotive touch up paint with the same ral code. Then just follow the directions for that.

#8 Mon, 01/19/2015 - 9:57am

Krylon does great- perfect match if it is white or black. or try Ace appliance epoxy white. I tried Rustoleum 2X white and it did not match but the Rustoleum 2X red is a perfect match. I will try the yellows and report what is closest. I can't find a metallic blue. The Rustoleum Metallic aluminum is very close to the Ozone Metallic silver. When you mask off an area, it can leave a bit of a little ridge unless you remove the tape immediately after spraying or spray clear over it. If you are coming up against another color, you need to mask it off of course but if you have a white hull and the repair is away from another color, mask several inches away from where you are spraying so you don't get a ridge. Spraying takes a bit of practice so have the paint thinner ready if you get a drip, wipe clean and do over. The clear is good to spray over the colored spray so when you sand you are sanding the clear and not the color. practice to get the spray technique perfect as possible. I will get the RAL color codes again- I misplaced that info as well..

#9 Tue, 01/20/2015 - 6:03pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.178 seconds.