World/ Hawaii ranking

What if we did a mock Hawaii ranking? What races would you include? The Solo for sure, Maui to Molo, Olukai? Kanaka Ikaika State Championships? Just wondering

Submitted by thespear on Mon, 05/04/2015 - 11:40am

Koa Nui would be a good one to add.

#1 Tue, 05/05/2015 - 9:46am

rank the paddlers that do the races based only on that year's results and not the whole body of work? that'd be interesting.

what races would be included to make it a "world" ranking?

#2 Tue, 05/05/2015 - 11:50am

Here's how it's done for the World Surfski series.

http://www.worldsurfskiseries.com/2015-calendar/

#3 Wed, 05/06/2015 - 6:18am

Could be done similar to Golf with "Masters" and points, leading to year in and out rankings....The could pick certain events to be "Masters" events, with point attributed to place in these events, the more points you have of course equals to higher rankings.
The questions is, what does it mean to be ranked #1? What benefit is it to a paddler, I suppose sponsorship?

#4 Wed, 05/06/2015 - 7:21am

obviously for bragging rights.

No other reasons needed.

#5 Wed, 05/06/2015 - 9:53am

Sounds cool, I think its safe to say that Thespear would be near the top of the list, along with Travnormous, Daniel, Aukina.

oh yeah, Jamie Mitchell

#6 Wed, 05/06/2015 - 12:52pm

how about this?
only the Hawai‘i solo should count in the 808 toward a world ranking. if you count more than one race in Hawai‘i then you're slanting the rankings to favor only paddlers in Hawai‘i.

then count one race from the other competitive paddling nations in the world. could throw out the worst result in any one race (or a no show, whatever). i think if someone placed well in all those races there'd be no doubt of being able to lay claim to a be a top paddler in the world.

in no particualr order:

Solo (HI)
NZ Aito (OC1 or V1 no matter)
Australian Championships
Super Aito
World Sprints (if it's a world sprint year)

is there a race that has the depth of field that could be included in the mainland US?

EDIT:

i replied in regards to a world ranking because of the title of this post.

rank only within Hawai‘i?

Solo
Championship race on every island

no throw away scores.

the issue with this is that you have guys doing 3 hour training runs before races like Olukai and other things. so the rankings become skewed. pretty safe to say that no one tries to peak training wise for races like Olukai, Oahu Champs, or state champs etc. Maybe only have 3-4 races count?

#7 Thu, 05/07/2015 - 11:08am

hey kauai85, ya see that Jaime Mitchell just won the award for biggest wave paddled into this year? Here's the clip,
https://

oh wait is the forum that holds SUP janitors in higher regard than a real waterman with ten consecutive ka'iwi victories to his name? nevermind then, my b

#8 Thu, 05/07/2015 - 12:09pm

@kauaisurf85...Hana Pa'a with the Jaime Mitchell nomination!!

#9 Thu, 05/07/2015 - 1:46pm

JC9_0 if the North American Downwind Championships at the Gorge turn out how they're expecting, it could be the needed North American race. Conditions are definitely (as you know) bona fide real deal downwind. It's just a matter of whether the best OC-1 paddlers show up.

As of now, most of the world's top surfski paddlers are planning on being there. I'd love to see the world's best OC-1 paddlers give some of those guys a run for their money!

#10 Thu, 05/07/2015 - 3:48pm

yeah, i agree there are plenty of good venues and races.

north american champs should be a fun one... good price too. pay one entry and you get a week of shuttles for downwindering, a solo race, a relay race, a salmon dinner, and a post race lunch... AND a post race party?! damn. i honestly think no one can beat that.

http://www.gorgepaddlingfestival.com/registration/

#11 Thu, 05/07/2015 - 8:26pm

Only 1 OC1 race matters!
Molo Solo.

#12 Sun, 05/10/2015 - 3:56pm

I concur. 1 race to rule them all, and its on 6/13.

#13 Mon, 05/11/2015 - 7:57am

is Jaimie Mitchell racing?

#14 Tue, 05/12/2015 - 12:47pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.198 seconds.