XM rudder line help

Need some help from some OZONE XM paddlers. Broke my rudder line. Got a factory replacement with the yoke. The problem I'm having is that the I do not have the old line to pull the new line in. Have tried several different things to pull new line through. Pushed fishing leader through the cockpit and then taped the new line to the leader. Tried super gluing the two together. Problem is that no matter what I do the diameter is too big to get through the tube. Thinking I may switch out to stainless line as I could push it through. Would have to figure out how to clamp the stainless. Any wisdom out there?

Submitted by ericspin on Sun, 07/19/2015 - 6:12am

not sure how to fix it with the line type,but kai does sell a ss cable replacement kit. heres the link
http://kaiwaa.com/products/steering-cable-set/

#1 Sun, 07/19/2015 - 8:46am

How thick is the fishing leader line are you using?

I've used regular 15 lbs test fishing line to pull spectra cable line through Ozone made Hurricanes in the past without any problems. Pushed it through from the cockpit and used hemostatic clamps to grab the line through the large center hole to attach the new line to.
Wouldn't be too hard to poke the fishing line through the new replacement line to tie it together and pull it through without increasing the diameter.

As for clamping as cable, I've found the copper sleeves and stops at West Marine in the cables and fasteners section. To crimp them I've got sleeve crimping pliers from the fishing section.

#2 Sun, 07/19/2015 - 7:22pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.168 seconds.