Diff boat options for someone in the 155-165 pound range

Hi All,

Looking to switch from a Hurricane to try something different and looking at newer options. Other than a Scorpius XS (which my gf already has), what are the attributes of other canoes with a volume around my weight range? There aren't many boats available to tests here on the East Coast so pretty much have to go by the advice here on this forum. From what I can see some of the newer boat options are the Ehukai and Ares. The Pueo seems to be a bit more expensive and out of the price range. Not going to ask which one is "better", rather how do they differ? East Coast water seems to be a lot of chop or flats so how do these boats perform in these kinds of conditions?

Submitted by tsuinami on Sun, 09/18/2016 - 12:29pm

Height is 5'8 if that makes a difference.

#1 Sun, 09/18/2016 - 12:33pm

You should try the ehukai, you and i are about the same size. The ehukai is a great all around boat, with a little less volume than an ares, it does well in flat water like California conditions. In the surf its a very "zippy" boat, does good in the chop because it is easy to make quick direction changes. It also likes to shoot down the bump to the next one, so it's easy to keep surfing. It also helps that they are about 20 pounds rigged, so their isn't a whole lot of boat to carry when it goes flat. We have a few dealers on the east coast so it shouldn't be that hard to contact.

#2 Sun, 09/18/2016 - 4:14pm

Thanks for the info! How do you figure that the Ares has more volume than the Ehukai? Having a hard time finding info on this stuff on the internet.

#3 Mon, 09/19/2016 - 8:19am

I own an Ehukai and I'm pretty happy with it. It's great in the small chop we get in my area. The ama is pretty light and I took a few unexpected spills before I got used to it. I wouldn't say it's a great flat water boat but that has probably more to do with the paddler sitting on it than the boat itself.

I've tested an Ares on flat water. It was very comfortable and I don't think it has a bigger volume than the Ehukai. I'd seriously consider this model if I were looking to get a new boat. Just make sure you get a modified seat if you have a big okole.

Note that the Outrigger Zone boats are all carbon, made-in-China canoes. You can also order Kai Wa'a canoes built in Hawaii (kaiwaa.com) with different layups.

You can read the manufacturer's blurbs on the canoes you are interested in here:

outriggerzone.com
kaiwaa.com
www.puakeadesigns.com

Try contacting them with your questions to supplement any opinions you get here.

#4 Mon, 09/19/2016 - 12:08pm

has anyone tried both? how do they compare to each other in terms of feel?

#5 Tue, 09/20/2016 - 5:29pm

I own a Ehukai & paddled an Ares on Maui a lot at a Kai B clinic.
Flat , small stuff , go the Ehukai.
Surf , go the Ares.
That being said ,I get the Kehakai in a month.
I'm a petite 200lb

#6 Tue, 09/20/2016 - 7:13pm

If you click on my name and then "Track" you may be able to find a write up I did on the Ehukai. I am 5'7", 178 lb.

#7 Tue, 09/20/2016 - 7:28pm

Canoe builders have also found that the trim of the canoe affects performance. CLICK HERE here for reading about it. Your weight and height are both important considerations. You may have to log in to make the link clickable. No this isn't a spam link.

#8 Wed, 09/21/2016 - 5:53am

Rather than make a canoe for a specific height/weight category, why not make a canoe with adjustable foot pedals? The only ones I know about are the Allwaves and the Kaolele which had been built by PSI, but now are not available in the US. The Allwave Helium has the advantage of an adjustable seat as well, so one can really dial in the sweet spot.

Surfskis have had adjustable pedals for at least a decade, and while I think that overall outrigger design and innovation is way ahead of that of surfskis, they're way behind in this one issue.

#9 Wed, 09/21/2016 - 2:48pm

Thanks for the info Alex and JC. Unfortunately the Pueo is a bit over my price range. Sounds like the Ehukai will fit most of my purposes. When we talk about the difference in surfing ability vs flat for the Ares and Ehukai, is it that big of a difference?

#10 Thu, 09/22/2016 - 6:21pm

Alipp: My old Karel Thunder, nearly 20 years old, does have an adjustable sliding seat. The buggah still work.

#11 Thu, 09/22/2016 - 11:17pm

Thunder!

#12 Fri, 09/23/2016 - 3:25am

Saw some video of the Kahekai. Anyone get to try that out? Larger volume than the Ehukai but Johnny Puakea mentions that it works very for people in the 140 pound range as well.

#13 Sat, 10/08/2016 - 6:52pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.207 seconds.