OC-2 Comparisons: Outrigger Zone Tempest vs. Huki V2-X

We are looking to purchase an OC-2 for recreational paddling and we have it narrowed down to the Tempest and the V2-X. Any comments on the pro's and con's of each would be appreciated.

Our use will be the NY Harbor, LI Sound and Jersey Shore areas, primarily recreation paddling for a couple in their 50's and 60's rather than racing. The idea is to get out on the water together in an outrigger. Stability afloat, sitting position (OC-2's vs what we are used to in OC-6's), structural durability and ease of transport are all areas of concern.

Thank you in advance,
Steven.

Submitted by stc.personal on Sat, 01/30/2016 - 1:15pm

If all you want to do is rec paddling then almost anything will do. I think you should just look for the most inexpensive boat. Take a look at the Alwave. The OC2 is only 3500.00. http://www.oceanpaddlesports.com/site/index.php/news/index-single/look_w...

#1 Sun, 01/31/2016 - 1:01pm

I've paddled both and used to own a Huki V2-X, my preference hands down is the Tempest for various reasons. In my opinion it is more comfortable, in the Huki my left leg/butt would always fall asleep. I also prefer the footwells on the Tempest. I'm not sure if Huki still has the exterior venturies, if they do they are prone to falling off after time. I do find that the Huki seems more durable but if I was in the market again for an OC2 it would definitely be the Tempest. It's a very sweet responsive ride.

Good luck with your search!

#2 Sun, 01/31/2016 - 7:48pm

Heck! I'd go for a V3 and let the grandkids stroke or steer? "No Ruddah Bruddah."

#3 Mon, 02/01/2016 - 3:19pm

I haven't paddled a Tempest, but my wife and I own a Huki V2-X, and we really love it. We're in our 50's, and while I use it occasionally for racing we primarily use it for outings together (we live in the Midwest). It is a rugged boat, and quite stable (and fast). I like the stub iakos that Huki provides for transporting the ama - it greatly simplifies transportation. We've owned the boat around 5 years at this point; no issued with venturis falling off (other than when I whacked a rock in a river...). I can't compare comfort to the Tempest, but it's comfortable for us. When we bought it new from Huki my wife really liked being able to select a custom paint scheme. We also had a custom front iako fabricated that allows us to use either kayak or canoe paddles. The rudder system on the Huki is a superb system that allows quick and easy removal/installation/swapping of rudders. It's a very nice boat overall, and a blast to paddle!

#4 Mon, 02/08/2016 - 3:54pm

I own a Tempest (actually it's my wife's, but she lets me use it) and our club has a couple of Hukis - though I think it might be a V2-X (?).
I'm 200 pounds, and the Huki doesn't work if it's me and another 200 pounder. The boat is practically a submarine. If it's me and a 130 pounder (not my wife's weight, FYI), it works only with me in the front. The seats are a little uncomfortable over long distance. The overall build of the boat has been very solid. It's a club boat and it gets a lot of use, and not always gently. Doesn't sound like you're interested in speed, but this boat is fastest on flat water

Our Tempest is a very comfortable boat. Seats are great. Paddler weights don't seem to matter as much, though I'm not sure I've tested it with two 200 pounders. I did some time trials with a 120 pound guy and myself swapping seats and there was no appreciable difference in speed. I've done some bigger down-winds (as big as my 60 mile long lake would allow) with me and a 140 pound guy in the front and the boat was amazing.

On a separate note, we purchased a weed-shedding rudder and it is horrible on the boat. The regular rudder is awesome.

And a warning, OC-2's are sometimes referred to as Divorcee-2's. My wife is much happier paddling with her boyfriend than me....

Don M
Penticton, Canada

#5 Wed, 02/10/2016 - 1:01pm

Kahuna - must not be a V2-X your club has; the V2-X works quite well with a pair of 200 lb+ paddlers. A friend who has one raced against mine, and both of us are 200 lb and had 200 lbs partners. Plenty buoyant!

#6 Thu, 02/11/2016 - 7:26pm

You're right. It's a Tandem Z. I've attached a picture of my wife and her boyfriend racing me and my partner (mostly 'cause it's a cool picture showing the rough conditions we race in here in Canada....)

Don M
Penticton, Canada

#7 Thu, 02/11/2016 - 9:53pm

Beautiful place to paddle! Here are a couple of photos of our V2-X; one of my wife and me on a local lake, and the other of a friend and me at a race on Lake Michigan (we opted to paddle "OK-2" in that race - note the oversized front iako to allow the use of a kayak paddle).

#8 Fri, 02/12/2016 - 1:29pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.156 seconds.