OC2 Paddler Technique

I am paddling a Huki OC2 with a 13 year old girl. I am a golden master paddler. She is much shorter than I and I'm asking if anyone has any advice on how to match our stroke given that our arm lengths and paddles are not matched. It seems to me that my reach is much longer than hers and that subsequently - if we are in sync. - which we are - our paddle speeds during the power phase will be much different. Question: Is this really an important issue to address, and if so how. Second question: I sit in the front seat because I am much heavier. Is this an important factor re. hull trim. Thank you to all that have some ideas/answers to these questions.

Submitted by gmortimer on Sat, 02/27/2016 - 6:09pm

As long as you both enter and exit at the same time all will be golden, the paddle speeds should be the same as you're both pulling against stationary water as the canoe moves forwards. Having the heavier paddler up front is generally correct for most OC2's.

#1 Sun, 02/28/2016 - 8:42pm

My past experience with a Huki 2man was that when I sat up front(heaviest) and had a female behind me, very little rudder was in the water. It was about an 80 lb difference. As Rambo shared, all other 2mans, heaviest in front.

#2 Sun, 02/28/2016 - 9:25pm

Yep, thats why i said genally, not having seen a Huki OC2 but i imagine it would be very long, narrow and very little rocker, thus requiring weight sensitive positioning.

#3 Mon, 02/29/2016 - 10:14am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.234 seconds.