OC-2 Stabilty

We are husband and wife OC-6 paddlers with 2+ yeras experience looking for an OC-2 for recreation vs. racing. We are in our 60's and climbing back in after a huli is getting harder and harder. So stability will be part of our decision process in selecting a canoe.

Does anyone have any thoughts on which OC-2's are the most stable? We are looking at the Tempest and the Huki V2-X, but are open to all suggestions.

Thanks, Steven.

Submitted by stc.personal on Fri, 06/24/2016 - 5:23am

Sorry for the "Apple speak". I meant ...years...

Steven.

#1 Fri, 06/24/2016 - 5:27am

In my experience, all OC-2s are pretty stable boats. But, in addition to adjusting the ama to lean the boat as far left as possible, adding weight to the ama makes a very large difference in stability. Mike Giblin recommended this alternative for someone having problems with a Storm that has a super light ama (http://outriggerzone.com/support/questions/storm-oc1-balance/). When I paddle with a beginner, I put ankle or wrist weights around their iakos on top of the ama. They velcro on and can be found in weights ranging from 2 to 5 pounds. Since trying this, no beginner hulis, just big smiles.

#2 Thu, 07/07/2016 - 11:28am

I'd also practice bracing on the right with your paddle as your main huli deterrent. rigging your boat to lean left can wreak havoc on your lower back, sitting there all crooked and such.

#3 Fri, 07/15/2016 - 5:29am

I own 3 OC2's,Huki V2X Tempest and a Viper Duo. I find that putting a strap around Iako's and using it as a stirrup works for older paddlers trying to get back into their canoe's. I have also used ankle weights on Iako's work well also to counter balance the canoe's. another trick is to get a small bubble level as used in motorhomes . affix it to the center line of the canoe so you can see how far you are out of center that way darning practice you can correct your balance points.That is a great training aid. small/ no weight bubble level.about 1.00 at RVsupplys

#4 Sat, 07/23/2016 - 7:29pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.186 seconds.