Roof rack

Anyone use these racks?
http://goodboykayaks.com/
Any other alternatives out there?
thanks.

Submitted by Brianpace on Sat, 01/02/2016 - 8:16am

Funny as I was just going to post up my 'shade tree' engineered rack. It's a 6' piece of 1.5 x 3.5 aluminum square stock drilled to accept my J racks. Not the greatest pic, but it gets you the idea. I bought stainless steel carriage bolts and the hardware store carried plastic wing nuts. We cut some flat aluminum to make the plates for the underside of the crossbars. I put it on, tightened it all up and went to Vancouver, BC the next day. (About a 100 mile round trip). The thing didn't budge. Used it today w canoe on. Freeway speeds, was solid.

#1 Sat, 01/02/2016 - 8:01pm

just out of curiosity. what's the theory behind canoe positioning on the racks? i see people put the canoe hull down, deck down, sideways, and at a 45°.

#2 Sun, 01/03/2016 - 10:24am

I personally use the Thule saddles and my oc1 has the most surface area settled into the saddles when angled at a 45.

In my mind, this will deter as much "slippage" as possible when travelling.

#3 Mon, 01/04/2016 - 6:05am

I use them and love them! Best racks I've used. Super super easy!

#4 Mon, 01/04/2016 - 8:30am

I agree with TI as I wish I had the saddles, but bought the J Racks. I've NEVER seen the canoe slip. My issue was just the short roof line of the Impreza. Last big windstorm, heading for a downwind run, that little blue eggshell was wobbling WAY to much for my liking. The test drive on the freeway this past weekend I felt more at ease with the extra 2.5 feet on each end of support.

Either way you do it, the support length is the key.

#5 Mon, 01/04/2016 - 1:08pm

All I know is that's the rack I see the most K-1 and surfski paddlers use on the East Coast. While I'm going 60 with my surfski mounted deckside down, they're passing me at 80 on the Turnpike. They can also unload their boats real fast and be on the water right away. Also, they're the first to load and leave the parking lot, while I'm still fumbling with my straps. If you got a short roofline, this is the way to go, especially if you're covering a lot of distance on the road with your $5,000 canoe.and don't want to creep along.

Since OC1s are narrower than kayaks, the other alternative is use similar rowing shell racks with narrower cradles, so the stronger center bottom of the hull is in contact and flush with the cradle instead of the fragile sides?

#6 Mon, 01/04/2016 - 3:22pm

I use the Goodboy Kayak racks, awesome! Can't beat the price. My canoe is stable without moving from side to side on the road, loading and unloading is fast! Highly recommend it! I got the detachable model. A few of my team mates have also purchased the system.

#7 Tue, 01/05/2016 - 6:09am

I've been using those racks (GoodBoyKayaks) for a number of years and can say they are awesome!!! I haul my Surfski and OC-1 in them and can go 55-60mph with no problems at all. They hold the ski/canoe perfectly and also because the V-section is wide, it spreads the pressure so your boat doesn't get pressure dings. Cliff who makes them does an excellent job and these things are bullet proof.

Definitely a good buy!
Aloha,
-Rich

#8 Tue, 01/05/2016 - 11:23am

I had a Burnham Boat Sling for five years. The boat travels inverted. No problems with performance.

Now I have a GoodBoy rack in which the boat travels upright.

I drive an Xterra which is tall. The chief selling point of the Goodboy is you can remove the v-sections easily and stow them in the car when you need to park in a parking garage.

With the Burnham Boat Sling I couldn't park in a parking garage because even after detaching the whole sling I had no where to put it since it wouldn't fit inside the Xterra.

#9 Tue, 01/05/2016 - 11:35am

Used Thule grip racks for a few years and those are great as my car has enough spread b/t front and back rails to grab enough of the boat. Got the good boy racks when my better half got a car without a big enough spread to grab enough of the boat. These V racks are nice, through they are higher profile which you have to be mindful of if you're in/out of parking garages a lot. Good news is they take only minutes to put on/take off so real easy to put on for the weekend and take off for the week.

Also for the winter I just break them down and put them in the basement. Not bulky at all when disassembled.

#10 Thu, 02/25/2016 - 2:23am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.141 seconds.