Ama Roof Rack or Fasteners

A few years back I remember a paddle sports store in Hawaii advertising an ama rack or set of fasteners. Is anyone still selling that sort of thing? I think it used a bit of stretchable rubber to hold the ama on tight.

Submitted by YankeeHookele on Sat, 06/10/2017 - 8:05am

Well, it has been a month, but instead of finding the answer to my above question at a website in Hawaii, I found it in...Pennsylvania. Go figure.

Goodboy Kayaks makes vbar racks for kayaks, surfskis, shells, etc. It has now begun manufacturing ama racks that are a miniature of their full boat standard vbars. The only proportion that changes is the upright that fastens to the longitudinal bar is proportionally higher because amas have more rocker than wa'as. Also the concept is to travel with the ama inverted.

If you're looking for an ama rack built to last, get hold of Cliff Roach 610-287-3344 in Collegeville, PA. I received mine this week in time for the Blackburn Race.

#1 Thu, 07/20/2017 - 7:53am

Years ago I picked up some hard foam/velcro ama carriers from P3 Kona. They were awesome...relatively inexpensive, low profile, secure, and easy on/off. They slide onto your roof rack bars and secure the ama using velcro.

They made them to size...you had to measure the ama girth and send them your measurements.

Anyone know if they still make them?

#2 Thu, 07/20/2017 - 8:00am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.162 seconds.