Goodboy Kayaks racks. 1 or 2 for canoe and ama?

I am going to purchase a Goodboy Kayak rack for my OC1 but am wondering if I should buy two. One for the canoe and one for the ama. The ama will not fit inside my jeep grand cherokee. The ama is 9' and the rack is 8'. Cliff at Goodboy has offered to cut off some of the V to make it a better fit and I suggested cutting the overall length to 4'. The distance between my roof bars is 3'. I would rather get a 2nd Goodboy than strap the ama to a padded bar. Any help?

Submitted by JA on Wed, 05/03/2017 - 4:31am

instead of dropping huge dough on a 2nd rack, get some smaller foam blocks from REI for the ama.

#1 Wed, 05/03/2017 - 6:30am

TI. Thanks for the input. I have done that before and am looking for more security. Spending a few hundred dollars to ensure a several thousand dollar OC1 is worth it. I will be on the highway and traveling bumpy beach roads.

I am hoping someone out there has had experience with the Goodboy Kayaks and may have tried carrying an ama in one.

#2 Wed, 05/03/2017 - 7:36am

Do you have a Huki by chance? My V1-R fits fine on the standard Goodboy rack with the stubby iakos.

Your idea sounds fine. My only comment is that I would be tempted to consider a slimmer system so you could somewhat stagger the heights to not take up so much crossbar width - two Goodboy racks side by side take a good bit of width. Maybe you can sort of stagger them since you would have a shorter bar on the ama Goodboy and the Vs could also be a lot shorter.

#3 Fri, 05/05/2017 - 6:49am

I have a Kai Wa'a Anteres. I am pretty sure they will fit side by side. I won't be loading it with the aikos. The aikos will go in my vehicle. I think my best bet is to order one rack and check the fit for the ama. If it needs modification I will reach out to Cliff and see what he can do. Thanks for the suggestions!

#4 Sat, 05/06/2017 - 3:52pm

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
Goodboy kayaks built me a modified 5' rack for my ama. It is mint and works on both my 2000 Chevy S-10 (sliding work racks) and my 2014 Grand Cherokee too racks. I couldn't be happier. Drove on the highway around 60mph for 1.5 hours and everything was perfectly secure. Daily I drive out old bumpy beach roads to get to the ocean, not a problem.

#5 Sun, 07/23/2017 - 4:00am

I have an Antares. I drove back over a hundred miles from the Blackburn Challenge averaging about 80 mph with Goodboy wa'a and ama racks, No problems. Nice not having to jam the ama inside the vehicle.

#6 Thu, 08/03/2017 - 2:43am

Just curious as to how your canoe is now transported with the ama rack: do you now transport it fully assembled (rigged) with the ama and na iako attached? Loading and unloading a fully rigged outrigger is very convenient, if you're transporting only one canoe.

#7 Thu, 08/03/2017 - 11:23am

Can you post a picture of the goodboy rack for your ama?

#8 Mon, 12/11/2017 - 5:24am

My outrigger is disassembled when it is in the rack. Trying to load it assembled with the added height of the Goodboy rack would be very challenging. Windy days can be a hassle. I carry my Antares on either a 2000 Chevy S-10 or a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
I tried uploading photos but it wouldn't work because they are too big. Contact Goodboy as I sent them photos.

#9 Thu, 12/21/2017 - 6:40pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.337 seconds.