Pacific Paddler to call it quits

It's looking like Pacific Paddler is done. There will not be a February issue and for all who have a subscription with us I apologies. I started this magazine in 1996 with the thought that those who rely on the paddlers business would be eager to promote their business and would support us but that didn't quite work out, and now deep in the red I have to make a tough decision. A few business did believe in the value of our mission and they made it all happen. You may be surprised to learn of those big names in the paddling world and in the paddling community who didn't want us to succeed and who just resented us, my fault as I'm not a born salesman.

Keeping the magazine alive is all about sales and I am not a good salesman. I am passionate about the sport and sharing the joys of outrigger paddling with as many as I can reach. It truly was a privilege to be part of the paddling community over the last 21 years and working with so many towards our shared goal of making the sport grow.

Who knows, perhaps there is someone out there who wants to take the magazine over or who has a better insight into business than I do. One thing has become clear I can no longer do it all by my self.

It is with sadness I must say aloha, Ropati

Submitted by Pacific Paddler on Tue, 01/03/2017 - 10:25am

It's a bummer that this had to happen Ropati. I enjoyed subscribing to your magazine over the last bunch of years and it will definitely be missed. Thanks for keeping us here on the mainland all tuned in to what was happening with paddling in Hawai'i. Aloha

#1 Tue, 01/03/2017 - 1:54pm

Ropati,

Pacific Padder was revolutionary.It was pre-internet and in the early years paddlers would hide their copy, since the other paddlers would grab it and not return. Most important was the sharing of knowledge. Please know that all of the stress of business and publication was worth it. Millions of smiles, tons of joy, and stories. For the average paddler we would dream of being in a photo and in Pacific Paddler. You made dreams come true.

Keep paddling, taking photos, and maybe more fun and less stress.

#2 Wed, 01/04/2017 - 7:10am

So sorry to hear this, Ropati. I've been a constant and enthused supporter of Pacific Paddler since its inception. Your magazine was a breath of fresh air in our beloved sport, quite apart from the unending bickering, territorial fiefdoms and ongoing paddletics. This is a loss to all paddlers, and we have no one but ourselves to blame.

A huge mahalo to you and your staff, Ropati. It was great while it lasted.

#3 Wed, 01/04/2017 - 12:44pm

"Who knows, perhaps there is someone out there who wants to take the magazine over or who has a better insight into business than I do."

I claim no such better insight, but my friend Franck and I would love to talk to you, Ropati, about how to continue what you have built. I'll PM you as well.

Aloha

Alex

#4 Wed, 01/04/2017 - 11:30pm

Come on advertisers! Step up and help keep this iconic publication alive.

Alex, maybe you are the key to helping Ropati revitalize it. What will we do without Pacific Paddler Magazine?

#5 Thu, 01/05/2017 - 12:00pm

This is very sad news Ropati, for it is your excellent magazine that makes me stop at a paddling shop to pick up a free copy and also look around for new stuff. Yet, when I go to 7-11, I notice SUP magazines selling for $15.00. Crazy! Go the SUP route Ropati in order to subsidize a couple of pages of future outrigger news. Do hope you can continue digitally via your website? Mahalo Nui for all the paddling news and photos these past 20 years.
ps: your gift subscriptions were the best bargain around to send to off- island paddlers.

#6 Sat, 01/14/2017 - 1:11pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.331 seconds.