Powerboat, paddler decorum?

I was doing the run from DH buoy to Honolulu Harbor buoy the other day, about 15min for HH. A large commercial charter boat came up from port astern converging at about 25 degrees, where he then put his boat across my bow at about 60 yd. He had fishing lines and outriggers set, so I had to either alter course or stop until the the lines safely passed. He'd already seen me in the water, because his route circles around the area. Any thoughts?

Submitted by bluesea on Thu, 02/02/2017 - 6:00am

Commercial vessels always have right of way. Please see Navigation Rules and Regs Handbook International Steering and Sailing Rules 4-19.

#1 Fri, 02/17/2017 - 4:37pm

a fishing boat trolling lines should never alter course to cross in front of an oncoming vessel, to do so would be a complete A-hole move and result in head slaps back at the dock

#2 Sat, 02/18/2017 - 11:15am

This is an honest question, not an attempt at controversy because I found Danalee15's reference helpful. I decided to read, and here is what I found:

—INTERNATIONAL—
Steering and Sailing Rules
RULE 13
Overtaking
(a) Notwithstanding anything contained in the Rules of Part B, Sections I
and II, any vessel overtaking any other shall keep out of the way of the
vessel being overtaken.

AND

—INLAND—
Steering and Sailing Rules
RULE 13
Overtaking
(a) Notwithstanding anything contained in Rules 4 through 18, any vessel
overtaking any other shall keep out of the way of the vessel being
overtaken.

AND in both cases:

(d) Any subsequent alteration of the bearing between the two vessels shall not
make the overtaking vessel a crossing vessel within the meaning of these
Rules or relieve her of the duty of keeping clear of the overtaken vessel until
she is finally past and clear.

There are probably nuances here, but that seems to be a violation of 2 subsections of this rule 13 here. Is this not applicable in this case? I found these at:

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/navRules/navrules.pdf

#3 Sun, 02/19/2017 - 10:00pm

There are nuances...that is why there are attorney's who practice maritime law. The rules of the road notwithstanding....a captain of a vessel that is more maneuverable and faster then a vessel he is overtaking....a paddled craft...should give that vessel a wide berth. In no way should he endanger that vessel unless his navigation is hampered by a narrow channel or shoaling. The captain of the fishing craft that overtook you showed a lack of common sense, seamanship and aloha.

#4 Wed, 03/01/2017 - 9:11am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.164 seconds.