Using mono for cables

Steel cable broke on me this evening and couldn't find my roll of backup, all I had was some 350-400lb mono from my speargun supplies. Any reason mono is a bad idea? Ok for temp. Replacement?

Submitted by zumapop on Fri, 01/06/2017 - 3:24pm

I do know there will be some stretch, but other than that

#1 Fri, 01/06/2017 - 3:52pm

My old Holua surfski was equipped with a wheel and monofilament, which lasted a few weeks until it broke off at the crimp at the pedal. Replaced it with new monofilament and lead crimps, which worked fine, until it broke again in the middle of the Kaiwi Channel. Crimping the mono sugi creates a weak spot, so recommend switching to Spectra line instead and tie off. Or switch to higher grade stainless wire?

#2 Fri, 01/13/2017 - 9:49am

I also changed to SPECTRA. It is being almost one year. I applied tapes in the parts that would be in contact with the tubes inlets to protect from wear. It is working fine. It also strechs. I can push both pedals all the way to the front, but I never felt any loss of control.

#3 Sat, 01/14/2017 - 2:50pm

where do you get Spectra or equivalent such as used on Epic and other skis locally? and what size, etc. Looked at West Marine but not sure if they have the right cord.

#4 Sat, 01/21/2017 - 9:08pm

Try Ozone for Spectra or for Epic try Go Bananas.

#5 Tue, 01/24/2017 - 12:39am

I wouldn't recommend using mono, it stretches, and has poor UV resistance. You can crimp mono, if your a fisherman, then you know you need to use the correct sized crimp and you don't crimp near the ends of the connector. Might be okay for a one day quick fix, just for that day in particular but not for longer term use, no way.

Spectra isn't hard to find, or Dyneema, both are braided line with hardly any stretch compared to mono. Stainless cable is tried and true, but has the worst corrosion resistance compared to braided Spectra/Dyneema

#6 Fri, 04/07/2017 - 7:47pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.176 seconds.