V-1 vs OC-1 ?

Certified Old Guy, been paddling surfskis for 10+ years, starting to dabble in OC-1 via this beast: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOIKL0MixlprznLdGdQfKV1TiVusSqeWaZF...

It weighs a ton and it's a pig to paddle, but maybe I see something here; so I might be in the market for a "Real" canoe.

But the place I paddle the most is heavily-infested with weeds as in just-any-old-weed-rudder-won't-work.

Hence the obvious appeal of a V-1.

Can anybody cast some light on the tradeoffs?

One thing right off the bat: I am 6'5", so the V-1 cockpit is already giving me pause...is there any such thing as a more open V-1?

Submitted by PeteCress on Fri, 08/31/2018 - 12:12pm

Awesome thing to sail but NOT to paddle. You may have a hard time being so tall on a v1 (finding one that fits). Tradeoffs are many. The v1 would be better with tons of weeds. They have a steeper learning curve and are very unforgiving in side wind. You can buy an OC1 and take off the rudder in the weeds and paddle it like a v1 then put it back on when you are in better water.

#1 Sat, 09/01/2018 - 2:16pm

You can buy an OC1 and take off the rudder in the weeds and paddle it like a v1 then put it back on when you are in better water.

Had not thought of that - figured the hull shapes would be too different.

You have out your finger on my main reservation: the cockpit & leg length.

#2 Sun, 09/02/2018 - 9:55am

It is not ideal, but absolutely doable.

#3 Mon, 09/03/2018 - 1:39pm

The Kamanu Aukahi V1 had the biggest cockpit that I've seen. Maybe try to get in a demo one of those to see if it fits your frame.

#4 Mon, 09/24/2018 - 5:54am

I put a DK short, weedless rudder on my OC1 and never had any weed problems, even going through major weed patches.

#5 Wed, 10/03/2018 - 6:57am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.174 seconds.