Man killed after outrigger canoe detaches, strikes SUV

very sad, please tow with chains everybody

#1 Mon, 09/07/2009 - 9:18pm

Small lightweight vehicles with short wheel bases don`t make very good tow vehicles. Heavy vehicles with a long wheel base are alot better. Tongue weight is important to be aware of too . If weight is too far back on the trailer and tongue weight too light ,the trailer can begin to oscillate side to side untill it tips over on the highway.

This kind of a tradgedy is easy to avoid with a little common sense, education and proper risk management.

#2 Tue, 09/08/2009 - 1:28am

I know this site tends to have a "gearhead" vibe to it and we want to give helpful advice, but as you post please remember that a lot of people are in a lot of pain over this accident. The victim's family and friends, the driver of the truck and passengers, whoever loaded or hitched the trailer, and countless others who think that they could have done something to prevent the accident.

#3 Tue, 09/08/2009 - 7:03am

Fuze, just when I think you hit rock bottom you just go ahead and keep digging deeper.

#4 Tue, 09/08/2009 - 11:33am

Mahalo Kaimiloa..

#5 Tue, 09/08/2009 - 11:39am

Another Honolulu Advertiser article on the accident. Truly tragic for all involved.

#6 Tue, 09/15/2009 - 5:19pm

If you have a chance, read the comments on both articles listed here on this thread.

I am surprised at how people are so quick to judge without knowing the facts. It's really unfortunate and disrespectful to those involved. It honestly breaks my heart how people can be so insensitive and callous.

#7 Tue, 09/15/2009 - 5:46pm

My prayers go out to the unfortunate victim and his family. May God watch over us and bless our canoe clubs.

#8 Tue, 09/22/2009 - 1:35pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.301 seconds.