Matching jerseys or a time penalty?

Time penalty @ MOLO for not having matching jerseys?
Who else thinks this is a waste of time & energy?
Was every single crew reminded of this new rule @ registration? nope
Can you tell my canoe club is gonna be penalized? yep

Submitted by KONASARAH on Sun, 10/11/2009 - 7:11pm

Funny! I did noticed that all the officials at registration had some nice MOLOKAI HOE official shirts, but many of them had them altered to their liking. Some ladies prefer to cut off the neck area and make it look like a halter top and some guys had cut of the sleeves off to flex the muscles. Where they assessed 10 minute DQ on their official boat for not matching?

If a rule is in place and paddlers are expected to followed THEN it should be modeled by THOSE who want to enforce the rule.

Let the rule go under this year, but really enforce it next year since it has been brought out now.

#71 Wed, 10/14/2009 - 9:40am

Thank you for that, but note, the rules don't come from the organizers they come from the Board of Directors and we are obligated to uphold the rules. We are however, responsible for making sure that the rules are fairly imposed and that any inconsistancy will result in a recall. Our website will be making an update today regarding the results. Thanks everyone for their input. A few things can happen for next year...1) shirt sizes will be closely monitored, 2) late registration will not be accepted so those crews who registered late, make sure you focus for 2010 3) There will be no exceptions to the uniform rule however, it will be outlined explicitely so there are no questions as to what a uniform is and 4) we will continue to work hard on a race that the entire state of Hawaii can be proud of because it is our state sport and we should be the dominating force in outrigger canoe paddling. So for now, thank you all for your input, it has not fallen on deaf ears and for the guy who inquired about the Official shirts and their design, we would love to give you one so feel free to contact me to help with the coordination of the 2010 race. a hui hou...

#72 Wed, 10/14/2009 - 11:02am

Nazarene, mahalo for all the efforts put in to make the Molokai Hoe a premiere event.

A quick comment I have regarding the terminology of "uniform". Rather than say uniform which denotes matching jersey (color, cut, shape, logo etc.) why not require matching "logowear, and color of shirt", which would allow for a paddler to choose between the cut of sleeve (sleevless, short, long) and not be forced to change shirts after the start and before the finish. That I believe is the base of the argument and confusion.

Matching logowear, still shows uniformity among paddlers, and still allows for preference to shirt sleeve cut. That is all most of us paddlers I believe are asking for.

#73 Wed, 10/14/2009 - 1:41pm

dittos to what 3d4mation just said.

Kudos to Nazarene for responding on this forum when she could have elected not to.

Definitely, there is much more we can do to show more appreciation for all the work that Nazarene and volunteers go thru year after year.

I was just reading about the clean up crew for the Ironman where the volunteers wake up at 3:30 AM to start the cleanup of the Kona Iron man race course.
http://tinyurl.com/yz8zvee

Unfortunately, Volunteers don't ever get enough credit for all the tireless effort they put into a world class event such as Ironman, Na Wahine O Ke Kai and the Moloka'i Hoe.

Ocpaddler.tv, Terry and crew have been instrumental from a media stand point as well by providing TV exposure for the sport and, this year, the live video feed of the race given the limited resources at Hale O Lono. Those things have not gone unnoticed by others in the sport:
http://www.surfski.info/content/view/1120/147/

The continued record breaking entries for both the Moloka'i Hoe and Na Wahine O Ke Kai, despite the economic times, speaks volumes about the quality of work everyone involved have made. But also, I would like to think, the kama'aina hospitality that has been shown to visiting athletes who enter these races as well as the level of excitement and competition that all teams have injected into the sport.

Every year, the bar is raised by either an organizer, a team that excels to a higher level, or a company such as OCPaddler.TV that expands the level of access in coverage to an ever larger audience.

The complaints are not a personal attack on you nor your staff. its a reflection of the passion and care most people who participate have for this race. We all have the same desire - to see the quality of this race maintain its excellence. Quantity is nice but quality is even better.

Hence, when results were presented as the following below with no infractions for the first 40 something or so crews, and then about 41 percent of the remaining crews are penalized it makes one bang their fingers on the key board.

If over 40% of race entrants met the criteria for penalty during the race than something has to be said about the way the rules were stated and defined for this year. I support the idea of "Complete Crew Uniform" - just gotz tah know exactly what that entails (including sleeve length)

Is there anything wrong with removing those infractions for this year and then decide a viable penalty for 2010? Or, you could do what i usually do in multiple choice exams when the filled circles don't look random enough. Just change the answers and put more randomness to the teams that incur infractions... imagine seeing the results as they were posted (ignore the highlighting - that was to illustrate the point).

We love all that you guys do. We love the sport. We are all in this together to see it succeed for years to come.
Aloha!

#74 Wed, 10/14/2009 - 3:07pm

My last post on this.....
After the 'official explanation', I'm still waiting for updated results and still do not know if the time penalty was for different colored jerseys or different logos or different sleeve length. I hope it wasn't sleeve length or Primo with a 10 minute penalty would be in 4th place instead of 2nd.

#75 Thu, 10/15/2009 - 8:43pm

Now there are many of us who prefer to paddle shirtless, so let's not do away with this real tradittion.

#76 Thu, 10/15/2009 - 9:24pm

Per Molokai Hoe website that I had come across, the committe had made a decision to NOT enforce the 10 minute uniform penalty. The uniform policy will be in FULL EFFECT for the 2010 Molokai Hoe.

#77 Thu, 10/15/2009 - 9:43pm

Mahalo to Nazarene and Stan for the decision you have made. As a paddling ohana, we may share disagreements and misunderstandings along the way but in the end, we all come together as one to support one another in the endeavor to maintaining the quality and excellence that this race represents.

I support the implementation of the Complete Crew Uniform rule starting in 2010 and hope that others will as well. This will be in line with many other world championship sporting events and allow the sport to succeed and thrive for years to come.

Kulia i ka nu'u

Mahalo nui loa

The followings from the Moloka'i Hoe website: http://molokaihoe.org/Default.asp

A Special Message from your Molokai Hoe Race Committee

Aloha 2009 Molokai Hoe Participants,

Due to the inconsistencies of the penalties assessed to the crews for uniform violations, the Oahu Hawaiian Canoe Racing Association has decided to recall all penalties and reinstate the original results of all crews.

We apologize for the delay of posting these results and for incorrectly posting the winners of each division. Our sincere apologies to the Waimanalo 55+ crew who should have been awarded 2nd place for their finishing time. We will be awarding them silver medals which are on order now.

We can appreciate the input of all crews regarding this violation, but stand behind our decision to have this uniform rule to uphold the standard of our race. Please note, this rule will be fully enforced in the 2010 Moloka'i Hoe and crews will be assessed a penalty for any violation. However, our rules will outline the specifics of this rule so that there will be no question on race day.

Thank you to all the crews for their participation and for your continued support of the Moloka'i Hoe.

Sincerely,

Stan Dickson , Race Director Nazarene Anderson, Event Director

The Oahu Hawaiian Canoe Racing Association

#78 Fri, 10/16/2009 - 1:19pm

Dumb rule re uniforms!
And what ever happened to the crew t-shirts & token medals provided as part of the registration packet in the past? All we got was a paper wristband and weren't even included in the official results.

#79 Sat, 10/17/2009 - 11:09am

Rafael...I can help with that. All participants should have received a bag with crew shirts, back massagers and sun screen from our sponsors. You may want to speak to your club rep or if you didn't receive it let me know and I can assist you with that. Please email me directly : nazarene@molokaihoe.org.
If there are any other crews whose rep did not pick up their race bags after the race please email me.

Mahalo!

#80 Mon, 10/19/2009 - 9:46am

Good rule or bad rule, put it to a VOTE of the participants as well as the organizers. Majority rules.

#81 Mon, 10/19/2009 - 12:10pm

jbe - I don't think it works that way. You either compete under the race rules or you don't race. You can't dictate to the organisers which rules you'll follow and those you won't.

#82 Mon, 10/19/2009 - 12:17pm

funny, i had this rule explained to me pretty clearly yet again yesterday. i was given a great example about why it was put in place. EVERY organized sport in the world uses uniforms. from PAL basketball all the way to the NFL everyone is required to use a uniform. if paddling is to be an organized sport, then why not do the same?

#83 Mon, 10/19/2009 - 1:04pm

What's the problem that used to exist that is now being solved by adding this rule?

#84 Mon, 10/19/2009 - 3:38pm

Muchos Kudos to the Molokai Hoe organizers for the decision and giving us a whole year's notice to get our acts together and get organized. Personally, i think having uniform jersey is a good idea provided that they don't go too nutz over the nitpicky details..a. as someone said above...you can go jerseyless (or can u ? may have to get a ruling on this as if you have a "mixed" crew...might not be uniform :) ).

#85 Mon, 10/19/2009 - 7:54pm

Instead of issuing penalties for crews that don't wear matching uniforms why not give time bonuses for crews that do wear matching uniforms. Make incentives for wearing matching jerseys. Better yet, the better the uniform the better the time bonus. Why don't the organizers make a fashion contest out of the Molokai Hoe. They should have a contest for the best dressed crew. Why not put a runway at the finish line and have the crews walk down it and all the spectators can judge them on their matching jerseys. Victoria Secret would be a great sponsor.

#86 Tue, 10/20/2009 - 9:22am

jbe
So is Victoria Secret the sponsor for men's channel or women's channel?

#87 Tue, 10/20/2009 - 5:46pm

The organizers would probably want to make that decision and I don't know which way they would go on that.

#88 Wed, 10/21/2009 - 7:23am

The organizers should give jerseys to paddlers so there would be no problem... That's how it's done for Hawaiki Nui. You can get your shirts 2 weeks before the race an print your club logo on the back but ou don't have to if you don't have the time, money,... The winners from last year got a different color (yellow). Simple, easy.

#89 Wed, 10/21/2009 - 9:53am

That would be awesome to see the top team where the coveted yellow jersey. It would make for an interesting race to watch as every vies to chase down the top crew during the race! Sorta like the Tour de France - nice idea

#90 Wed, 10/21/2009 - 10:53am

From Kona J: fast forward to July 2010:
Aloha,
I read the rules on http://molokaihoe.org/ and was looking for the final decision on crew jerseys and enforcement for this year’s race. As we know last year there was a lot of confusion about the expectations for what crews needed to wear. The main issue- Was is the rule the same jersey for each member-meaning if long sleeve then everyone has long sleeve or sleeveless then every paddler on crew sleeveless?? Or is it same color and design but sleeve length doesn’t matter??
I just want to prepare, especially since clubs might have already ordered jersey etc for this year’s race. Does anyone have this answer.
Mahalo
Also this announcement is on the race rules. I hadn’t heard about that or seen it. Sounds good to me.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Molokai Hoe under the auspices of OHCRA will be enforcing current doping policies and procedures. Individuals may be subject to drug testing.
Submitted by Kona J on Tue, 07/13/2010 - 7:20am

What's in a uniform?
* all shirtless?
* multiple team colored shirts?
* sleeve lengths?
* "libero" steersman? stroker?

Asking if OHCRA will please advise when the 2010 regulation is posted where it can be read by participants.
Many great ideas in this thread from last October.

#91 Wed, 07/21/2010 - 11:33am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.397 seconds.