Scorpius XM

new scorpius seems to fly!!!

Submitted by mauidave on Thu, 09/10/2009 - 7:20pm

did you sample? How does it compare to XL?

#1 Fri, 09/11/2009 - 11:25am

wait, theres two? are they different sizes?

#2 Fri, 09/11/2009 - 1:56pm

obviously one is Extra Large and the other is Extra Medium.

#3 Fri, 09/11/2009 - 5:06pm

A lot of guys testing it out here on Maui....nothing but good comments!! Can't go wrong with the Scorpius any size!

#4 Fri, 09/11/2009 - 8:16pm

Anyone on Oahu have a demo yet?

#5 Fri, 09/11/2009 - 8:25pm

Heard one was just paddled over

#6 Sat, 09/12/2009 - 10:28am

Kai paddled the demo over from Molokai recently so there is one here on oahu!

#7 Sat, 09/12/2009 - 8:24pm

Anyone have any photos?

#8 Sun, 09/13/2009 - 12:31pm

Why are we finding out about the "XM" here and not from Kai's website? Not that this isn’t an excellent medium for OC talk. It's just that I feel like..... when Detroit rolls out a new model truck and covers it with paper and plastic until the unveiling, trying to keep the paparazzi and speculators at bay! Has the rival to the Pueo been created?
Marara

#9 Sun, 09/13/2009 - 12:51pm

I believe it has something to do with the fact that they are overwhelmed with orders as it is. I too wish there was more accurate info on their website but if they are already behind then can you really blame them?? Im looking forward to reading the comparisons on here.

#10 Sun, 09/13/2009 - 4:15pm

aren't kai wa'a canoes produced in china? if so then they shouldn't be overwhelmed by workload. of course if they are producing boats in hawai'i, then they are probably smashed with orders...

all canoe builders don't bother updating their web sites and there's no need to. paddlers can spread the word faster than any advertisement could. telephone, telegram, telapaddler.

#11 Sun, 09/13/2009 - 5:14pm

I think everyone is referring to a new model not yet coming out of china. But I agree, who needs updates when you have OCP!

#12 Sun, 09/13/2009 - 5:52pm

Are they different volumes or just longer cockpits to suit the taller paddlers? I know we had a few tall paddlers here in OZ who ran out of room the push the seat back to gain legroom on the China Scorps we get here.

Rambo

#13 Sun, 09/13/2009 - 6:02pm

Im told it is pretty much a miniature scorpius with just a few small differences.

#14 Sun, 09/13/2009 - 6:49pm

Yup...he pinched it down. Fits in the bump better. I'm sticking with my "Original Gansta" Scorpius though...I wish Kanaka Ikaika or PA'A would make a "Clydesdale" class...

#15 Sun, 09/13/2009 - 8:35pm

Kai's website does suck. He needs to bring it up to speed. Common Kai, get a video up on the web site for this new XM or whatever you want to call it.

ScarySlow...according to my friend that lives on Maui, a fews years ago the Maui one man season had a Tugboat division for paddlers 250 lbs. and over. I don't think they have it anymore, but some kind of class for us plus size paddlers would be nice.

JawsOut.

#16 Tue, 09/15/2009 - 1:49pm

so would the scorpius xm be better fitted to paddlers around 130-170?

#17 Tue, 09/15/2009 - 5:00pm

I believe its close to that range. Not sure about 130 but its 21 ft and probably a little higher volume than a Pueo since its a little brother to the Scorpius. Ive gotten some of the scoop from Tom but still havent seen a photo.

#18 Tue, 09/15/2009 - 5:06pm

Doug Lock has the Scorpius XM demo, I hear, as well as the China Pegasus and Scorpius . His cell is 366 5505. Kai is making a Scorpius XL for the taller guys who don't fit in the standard Scorpius ( more than 32" inseam I'm told). His website now has video of the Pegasus and Scorpius in action (you still need to navigate thru the Scorpius promo spot and then find the header that has the other two action videos). Check it out - the webiste is getting better but still has a long way to go.

#19 Tue, 09/15/2009 - 9:06pm

So is the new Scorpius MX a replacement for the Pagasus? This is gettin' confusin'....

#20 Wed, 09/16/2009 - 2:28pm

hasto...I would venture to guess that the MX is in between the Scorp and Peggie. If I was Kai, I would call this boat Aquarius....keeping with the constellation theme. Instead of Aquarius, the water bearer, it can be Aquarius, the WATER TERROR!! Hows that.....

RatchetJaws Out.

#21 Mon, 09/21/2009 - 9:39am

The site has been updated with new video "A 70 Mile Paddle Adventure" by Jacques

Kai Wa'a Outrigger Canoes

#22 Thu, 09/17/2009 - 1:41pm

Went and saw the new Scorpius jr. Pretty impressive. Took some pictures but the camera got ruined in the Maui to Molokai race today, which was fricking awesome!

#23 Sat, 09/19/2009 - 8:24pm

I'm considering buying a Scorpius, but haven't seen any dealers in California. Is the Scorpius a special order boat...or how would I go about getting one?

#24 Sun, 09/20/2009 - 9:19am

You can either order one made by Kai but itll take awhile or you can order one made in China. I know his and OC's china quality is supposed to be pretty good. Call Tom Bartlett, 808-652-0406

#25 Sun, 09/20/2009 - 12:45pm

Hey Vids...wait for the Scoprius XM....that's the one to get if you are a regular sized guy. Get the regular Scorp if you are 180, 190 plus pounds...or if you can paddle like Kai.

JawsOut.

#26 Mon, 09/21/2009 - 9:41am

I'm 185lbs and paddle a Pegasus. Am I too heavy for it and should be riding a Scorp?

#27 Tue, 09/29/2009 - 12:21pm

you need to paddle what feels good. i loved my zephyr so i never demo'd a pueo for the longest time cuz I didnt wanna know what I was missing.

#28 Tue, 09/29/2009 - 12:48pm

Hasto..if you're 185, on a Peggy, and considering moving up to the Scorp, then DON'T do it. Just go to the XM. All the guys in your weight group are raving about XM. If you're not a strong 185 lbs., the Scorp might make it a bit harder to pull over bumps. The XM will take care of that. From what I heard, full production of the XM has started.

JawsOut.

#29 Tue, 09/29/2009 - 12:59pm

RatchetJaws, thanks for the advice. Will check out the XM when (if) it arrives in Oz.

#30 Tue, 09/29/2009 - 1:14pm

There is a demo on the way to Australia right now. Eventually im sure this boat will be made in China as well considering the wait list is already 23 or 24 weeks.

#31 Tue, 09/29/2009 - 1:53pm

A little clearity(as i understand it):
The Scorpius XM is made on Maui at Kai's shop. You can also get the Original Scorpius and Pegasus made on Maui at Kai's shop. All three are made in Hawaii. However you can also get, for a lil cheaper, the China Made Scorpius and Pegasus. You cannot currently get a Scorpius XM made from China.
As I understand it the XM is a smaller version (Volume wise) of the Scorpius. And is more similar to the Scorpius than the Pegasus.
Everyone who I have spoken to on Maui that has tried the XM and the Original love the XM even more than the Original.
As far as size/weight of paddlers I think paddling the Original and XM Scorpius is more about the proper stroke rather than your size/weight. Look at Felipe Gomes who is about 5'8"? (maybe shorter) and weighs 150something, who came in 9th in the Molo Solo this year on an Original Scorpius.....in a headwind!!!!!!!!
So I think the key is to ask around when trying new OC1's on what kind of stroke works best on that particular OC1. Every boat isn't like a Hurricane where any stroke will work.

#32 Tue, 09/29/2009 - 2:33pm

I recently took delivery on a China made Scorpius. I've been on a Pegasus for the last two years. I run about 190-195 lbs. I've only had the Scorp out in ocean/surfing conditions a few times (it's going to be my ocean/rough water boat). I'm finding it a bit more difficult to get up on bump compared to Pegasus (I'm having to muscle it more), yet once I'm on...it just glides and connects to other bumps with ease. It seems to me that the "sweet spot", or that pivot point to get up and on a bump is a little more aft on the Scorp than the Peg. I really want to have both the Scorp and Peg out at the same time so I can compare them in the same conditions. I have a buyer for my Peg.....but I'm holding on the sale until I feel that the Scorp is the canoe for me. What do you guys refer to when mentioning the "proper stroke" for the Scorpius? Re: Scorpius XM...it sounds to me like the transition from Fusion....to Fuze....to Zephyr tried elsewhere...

#33 Sun, 10/18/2009 - 2:38am

I Had one and loved my Peggy . its was a all around fun boat . but I recently traded to a Hurricane .I'm supposedly way to big for these canoes at 220 but I don't care I love the ride. they are all great canoes but I did realize one thing , It takes a while to settle into a new canoe before it feels like home.

#34 Sun, 10/18/2009 - 5:21am

A different canoe takes a bit of adjustment to find the sweet spot. I'm 160 had a Pegasus for years and am getting used to the XM. It is for me an all around faster canoe, especially in the surf. I feel like I am not getting into the wave as easy but I think it is the feel only as I am faster now than the guys on other canoes that were beating me before- the XM seems to stay at the top of the wave where I guess you want it to be anyway and not in the bottom where a canoe will lose momentum. No need to muscle in as much as finesse it- find the pace of the canoe. I find when I try to muscle it I don't do any faster, maybe slower but find getting the canoe to go with the wave does the trick. I find it now difficult to paddle the Pegaus - it seems so small. Good luck with the Scorpius- it is probably the right size canoe for you once you get used to how it runs in different conditions.

#35 Sun, 10/18/2009 - 9:36am

I felt right at home the moment my butt touched
the seat of my pueo. Then I got on a V1...

#36 Sun, 10/18/2009 - 1:38pm

So I picked up my new XM today. All I can say is wow. Ive only paddled it once but it felt like the boat wanted to just sit on top of a bump, then when you see smthg comin up just a few strokes and your flying down to jump over whatevers in front of you. Ill put some photos on tomorrow if anyone is interested.

#37 Tue, 10/20/2009 - 6:21pm

Thank in advance for pics Jpi ... Want to see them.
Edit ... Possible to show rocker from side + bottom contour in pics ?
aloha,
pog

#38 Wed, 10/21/2009 - 12:35pm

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/creativeapps/photoPicker/albums.jsp?...

Hope this link works. All the pics were too big for OCP.

#39 Wed, 10/21/2009 - 7:31pm

jpi92109,

The link goes to the Kodak gallery home page with no reference to your album. In other words, no pics.

Upload them to http://imageshack.us or http://photobucket.com/ for hosting and post the links.

#40 Wed, 10/21/2009 - 10:40pm

So I picked up my new XM today. All I can say is wow. Ive only paddled it once but it felt like the boat wanted to just sit on top of a bump, then when you see smthg comin up just a few strokes and your flying down to jump over whatevers in front of you. Ill put some photos on tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Please please show me those Pics, I've bought a canoe I've never seen!!!!!!!!

#41 Wed, 10/21/2009 - 11:30pm

Nice, thanks !

You can just tell that thing is out of fresh molds.

aloha,
pog

#43 Thu, 10/22/2009 - 12:41am

Great pics Jpi! JUst what I need....another canoe to ponder! although I don't think we'll be seeing this boat on the east coast U.S. for some time... From the pics, the only real difference I'm seeing from the top side is a little less volume in the XM compared to the base Scorpius. As Pog points out.....how do the two compare under the water line?

#44 Thu, 10/22/2009 - 1:50am

From what I could tell, the XM is an exact replica of the Scorpius, only its a few percent smaller, Kai didnt just chop 3 inches off both ends and go from there. Anyone considering either a Pueo or an XM is going to have a tough decision on their hands.

#45 Thu, 10/22/2009 - 6:17am

I just saw the picture of the cockpit area and noticed that the bungee cords are positioned on the sides. Is the purpose of this arrangement to allow the rudder to snap back to center when you take your foot off the pedals?

#46 Thu, 10/22/2009 - 9:50am

The bungee's attached to the pedals do pull the pedals back once pressure is released. Not really necessary but its nice.

#47 Thu, 10/22/2009 - 11:01am

I just saw the picture of the cockpit area and noticed that the bungee cords are positioned on the sides. Is the purpose of this arrangement to allow the rudder to snap back to center when you take your foot off the pedals?

On previous models (Polaris, Arcturus, Spica and Pegasus) the foot pedal bungee cord was attached to a center molded bump. Moving the bungee cords to the sides alleviates not having to make that "bump" or putting a screw and cable guide. On other OC-1's having a center bump may get in the way of using the front bungee system or hinders being able to put one up front.

As long as there is a bungee for the foot pedals, they work the same whether they are centered or attached to the side. The ones used look a lot thicker than what's used on most OC-1's so they should work better.

The Scorpius XM looks really good. Hope to see some in the coming races.

#48 Thu, 10/22/2009 - 7:14pm

I wonder if the ama and iakos are interchangeable with Pegasus and /or Scorpius

#49 Fri, 10/23/2009 - 4:22pm

Yes. Thats the reason I gotta keep a lock on that thing!

#50 Fri, 10/23/2009 - 4:23pm

gottagetit!!!!!

#51 Fri, 10/23/2009 - 10:26pm

Wow this thing looks really sweet. Any confirmation on the availability for us east coast people?

#52 Mon, 11/09/2009 - 10:20am

Scorpius XM are custom order only. Pretty sure they can make arrangements for shipping. Best to call and ask what their rates would be or contact one of the OC1 Dealers on the East Coast for what they usually pay for shipping from Hawaii to get an idea.

http://www.kaiwaa.com/

#53 Mon, 11/09/2009 - 11:05pm

Hey JPI92109,

What boat did you have before the Scorpius? With the ama shape and the overall design, I wonder if it is not similar to the Fuze/Zephyr in its feel? You said that the ama is skimming the water, does that mean it is out of the water a lot like those boats (and unlike a Hurricane)?

What made you choose it over the Pueo you had ordered and how are the two boats different/similar?

#54 Tue, 11/10/2009 - 4:33am

I ain't JPI92109 but the fuze ama and zephyr ama are different. Those two ama in comparison to kai wa'a ama, kai wa'a ama has more volume and a larger, flatter, wetted surface, with less trail on the back end. They both run, feel, and release very difrerently in every kind of water (flat to big surf).

Pueo and Scorpius are waaaaay different. Only similarity they share is that they both float. Owner's of both will swear by them...However, I prefer my Scorpius...and am waiting in line for an XM.

#55 Tue, 11/10/2009 - 7:53am

As far as the ama goes, I was more referring to the sound it makes. Kai's ama makes a sort of pinging sound. I had a zephyr before this and I do agree with scary, both amas feel very good but very different.

Time for a paddle

#56 Tue, 11/10/2009 - 9:28am

What boat should I get the Scorpius XM, The Pueo, or Outrigger Connection new Osprey. I have a old Viper that I been using for a year now. Want to compet in some OC1 races. I am 6'2" 180lbs. What you all think??????
What boat????????

Mahalo!

#57 Tue, 11/10/2009 - 10:42am

Another to consider as well.

http://www.channels.com/episodes/show/7119618/The-Ma-a-Afi#/episodes/sho...

#58 Tue, 11/10/2009 - 10:56am

What you all think??????
What boat????????

Best to try and demo each one to decide which one you feel better with or like.

#59 Tue, 11/10/2009 - 1:52pm

Bro you gotta paddle em to find out. Not every canoe feels good for everybody.

#60 Tue, 11/10/2009 - 2:12pm

you think someone under 160 but close to it could run that boat?

#61 Wed, 11/18/2009 - 1:07am

I weigh 150, probly get close to 155 sometimes. Im no kai but im not the back of the pack either. I feel like I push the boat around pretty well. Depends on whats on the frame of the paddler. Its all about strength. My XM is roughly within a 1/2 lb of a double carbon Pueo so its pretty easy to push around.

#62 Wed, 11/18/2009 - 3:17am

Is your XM the double carbon version?

#63 Wed, 11/18/2009 - 4:20am

Yes. I think the standard model is supposed to add a little over a pound?? Im not sure so id double check that but the Pueo is supposed to be about the same difference from standard to double carbon.

#64 Wed, 11/18/2009 - 6:53am

Jpi92109,

I think you should be getting a t-shirt or something from Kai, as you are doing some good rep work for them here.
Not ball busting here .... nice job.

aloha,
pog

#65 Wed, 11/18/2009 - 9:40am

I dont get squat from them. Dont mean that in a bad way but im just a guy who loves to paddle and has way too much time on his hands so I find myself on OCP way too much. I did it the same way when i was stoked on my Zephyr but the Zephyr wasnt as good of an all around boat as the XM - or a Pueo - so now I just have way more to talk about! Seems like there were a lot more people getting involved on here a couple years ago?? Or have we just talked about everything??

#66 Wed, 11/18/2009 - 10:58am

Rumor has it XM's took 1,2,3 in the race on Kauai today. Dont know who was on them but it sounds like they are off to a good start.

#67 Sat, 11/21/2009 - 8:28pm

They will be tested big time in Australia next month. Kai Bartlett and Aaron Napoleon are racing XM's and will battle Australia's best, and alot of them have just taken possession of their new Pueo's (the first shipment in Australia). Racing will be at Coffs Harbor, Mike MillsThoms backyard, I think he will paddle a Pueo. There are a few good Scorp riders getting around over here as well.

Then there will be the Booze Hound on his Zepher and myself on China Polly (Pegasus) battling it out down the back somewhere.

All the action at the Nationals will be captured by Cecil B DeRamboscie who has the gig to film it!

#68 Sun, 11/22/2009 - 1:39am

I bet that Mike Mills Thoms would do just as well on a Renegade ski equipped with ama and iako?

#69 Sun, 11/22/2009 - 10:09pm

The guys who finished at the top in Kauai on the XM's were already at the top. So not much to derive from those results. Or is there?

#70 Mon, 11/23/2009 - 9:12am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.251 seconds.