Scorpius XM, The Pueo, or Osprey???

What boat should I get the Scorpius XM, The Pueo, or Outrigger Connection new Osprey. I have a old Viper that I been using for a year now. Want to compete in some OC1 races. I am 6'2" 180lbs. What you all think??????
What boat????????

Mahalo!

Scorpius XM:
http://www.kaiwaa.com/#p0

The Pueo:
http://kamanucomposites.com/canoes

Osprey:
http://occonnection.ipower.com/osprey.php

Submitted by indar on Tue, 11/10/2009 - 10:46am

I think the Pueo is crazy fast, but, I also think the XM is more suited for open water, long distance stuff with any sea conditions. I ride with this guy and we both used to use Hurricane's and I would smoke him every day of the week. Since he bought the Pueo, I have to paddle at 120% just to keep up with him, although I pretend that I am not going all out, I really am, today I took my old Pahoa and he smoked me with his Pueo. However, everyday we paddle together, I see him hulling twice or more times for no apparent reason and he is supposed to be an experienced paddler, I don't recall him doing that on the Huricane. I tried the Pueo and then I tried Wendell's XM in Maui and I bought the XM. What a nice boat the XM is, it feels great for a 6.2 180# guy.

#71 Mon, 10/17/2011 - 5:22pm

So howd ja do against the "guy" ?

aloha,
pog

#72 Mon, 10/17/2011 - 10:16pm

How can Pog? Just saw whodaguy and he now paddle XS.

#73 Mon, 10/17/2011 - 11:53pm

for a very interesting comparison of paddling technique and canoe types,watch Manny K and Aaron N duel on the last leg of this years KWC on the HAwaii Stream KWC video fourth segment. Both great paddlers and both on great canoes.

#74 Tue, 10/18/2011 - 8:22pm

what are the differences in prices between a pueo and a scorpius xm?

#75 Wed, 10/19/2011 - 1:15am

Pueo

#76 Wed, 10/19/2011 - 7:55am

Call Kamanu and KAi Waa. Depends on layup.

#77 Thu, 10/20/2011 - 5:37pm

Scorpius XM has my vote. It is consistantly:

-a 1/2 mph faster than my old Fuze in all conditions,
-accelerates easier and gets me to speeds I can't sustain.
-catches surf more easily and comfortably,
-steers better in all conditions, with tighter linkage,
-has a better configured cockpit, and iako set up,
-and has a better hydration mounting set up.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t33/Heliograph-prime/Outrigger%20Shot...

Isn't Scorpius a zodiac sign and constellation? I know it isn't a star.

#78 Sat, 10/22/2011 - 9:08am

I just paddled an Osprey on a HI Kai run, boo. Any run over 4 feet is going to be a frustrating day. Trying to paddle through the crest of a bump is futile as the top of the swell poured into the foot wells and on my lap. At one point my feet and seat were under water as I tried to connect bumps (I am 165#). I really started taking off between Black Point and DH buoy as the bumps were well defined and about 3 feet. Past Kaimana was fine, the Osprey runs nice in the flat with small wind chop bumps. A less experienced colleague was on a Pueo and he was taking off on everything and it was quite frustrating to see him slide down a bump while I was pearling underwater in the bigger stuff. I really started moving in the smaller, defined bumps past Black Point but how many races present perfect conditions? 3 of the 4 OC1s I have owned were from Outrigger Connection but I am sure that Junior would never race an Osprey against a Pueo or Scorpius.

#79 Sat, 07/12/2014 - 5:55pm

What about any of the Huki canoes?
Also, is there any where or any events where someone could try multiple canoes?

#80 Sun, 07/13/2014 - 5:52am

An older recycled post...I like it. Add the Ehukai to the mix and maybe the new Pueo. I got some grief from this before but will say it again...nothing has radically changed just refinements on the theme. A bit lighter, tweaked here and there. I guess the ehukai gets the thumbs up for a different construction technique.....wondering how their exterior color coat will hold up with time...but that's cosmetic. They appear solid and have been well received.
Have not looked at race times or what canoes have won since the first 5 year old post but that is conditions and paddlers...maybe not the canoes.

#81 Sun, 07/13/2014 - 4:06pm

Ok, so I won't give you grief this time around. If I, or anyone for that fact follow your tune, just paddle anything. Because for the most part all boats are the same.

#82 Sun, 07/13/2014 - 9:34pm

No..not true...I do not think I would enjoy my 1992 Honu...or even the canoes I have had through the first few years of this millennium compared to the canoes built in the last five years. The canoes today are way ahead as far as design and construction. It would be interesting to compare apples to apples...to see how much more speed has been gained with all these refinements....but hard to take out the variables of race conditions and the fact that the top paddlers are just getting faster because of time on the water.

#83 Mon, 07/14/2014 - 8:17am

I'll just throw a new name from a respectable builder.
Pili Pa'a
Pine Ula Wa'a

#84 Sat, 07/26/2014 - 3:21pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.423 seconds.