Scorpius XM, The Pueo, or Osprey???

What boat should I get the Scorpius XM, The Pueo, or Outrigger Connection new Osprey. I have a old Viper that I been using for a year now. Want to compete in some OC1 races. I am 6'2" 180lbs. What you all think??????
What boat????????

Mahalo!

Scorpius XM:
http://www.kaiwaa.com/#p0

The Pueo:
http://kamanucomposites.com/canoes

Osprey:
http://occonnection.ipower.com/osprey.php

Submitted by indar on Tue, 11/10/2009 - 10:46am

Here is some great advice -
1. Try the boats yourself
2. Decide whether or not you want to use a star,mountain owl, or a seahawk

#1 Tue, 11/10/2009 - 10:52am

I think so depend on the engine and how much you like spend?

#2 Tue, 11/10/2009 - 11:53am

HOOT HOOT

#3 Tue, 11/10/2009 - 12:06pm

1. Try what you intend to buy.
  2. Find out when and where these canoes are available.
  3. Ask about warranties and how they get fixed in your region.
  4. Ask others what they know and how they like the dealer that sold them the canoe.
  5. No Canoe paddles the same for 2 people so enjoy unscientific reviews but for the most part they are relevant for the paddler in the canoe at the time in those conditions on the day......

From your short list you won't be disappointed with any choice..... Enjoy the paddle....

#4 Tue, 11/10/2009 - 1:26pm

Got to demo them first to know whats right for you.

#5 Tue, 11/10/2009 - 1:54pm

How nice is it to have a choice between these 3 canoes?? You really cannot go wrong no matter how you chose but like just paddle said, there are a few other things to consider depending on where you live and things like that. What a difference from a year ago when there was really only 1 clear cut choice for the 150 - 180 range......in my opinion.

#6 Tue, 11/10/2009 - 2:17pm

You have a VIPER?? Wow, you really going enjoy yourself now. Ditto everything said above, you cannot go wrong with any of the three. Just one more bullet to add....that would be craftmanship and how well the boat builder will stand by his product. If something goes wrong with the boat, and it was due to construction, will the boat builder make an effect to get the boat repaired or will he leave you high and dry??

The good thing about the three boat builders....I can almost honestly say and believe, that each would service and standby their product if it was a manufacturing defect. These guys are pretty good. You might want to ask around about Kamanu, Kai Wa'a, and Outrigger Connection and see if any boat owners have horror stories to share. A la the Foo days from a couple years back....remember those??

JawsOut.

#7 Tue, 11/10/2009 - 3:35pm

Pueo, Pueo, Pueo. The results in races speak for themselves. We all know Kai & Karel could make a 2x4 fast. But when people switch to a pueo they seem to go faster. No offense to any of the other boats or their builders. I'm just speaking on the results. If you look at the placings of where people finished before and after being on a pueo the results will tell you the truth. It doesn't matter if your a slow paddler or a fast one the boat does make a difference.

#8 Tue, 11/10/2009 - 8:49pm

Lets be realistic about all those results. I dont believe the XM or Osprey have even had a chance in a race yet. I cant wait to see how the results change this year now that there is more than 1 boat for people to choose from to race. That is the main reason why the results were so loaded. Kamanu is a good group of people and they built a great boat AND there were no other new and improved canoes on the market.

And dont get me wrong. When I say only 1 boat to choose from, im talking in the midsize range like the majority of paddlers are. Not small canoes - pegasus/hurricane/etc or large boats like regular scorp or Zephyr/Fusion.

#9 Tue, 11/10/2009 - 9:03pm

Can't wit to see what will happen. Lots of people ordering Pueo! 8 month wait list. the race results will tell. Be sure to look towards the back of the field. The top tier paddlers can pretty much make any boat go fast. But as you look beyond 25-30th place you can begin to see what boat makes a difference.

#10 Tue, 11/10/2009 - 9:08pm

Exactly my point.

#11 Tue, 11/10/2009 - 9:26pm

"The results in races speak for themselves"

Let's see - how many molo solos has the Pueo won?

Or even the Kaiwi Relay? How many?

#12 Tue, 11/10/2009 - 9:33pm

Yeah b ut those don't count cuz top guys one those!

I agree the Pueo made average guys faster but it was the latest and greatest design - same as the XM and osprey. See where I'm goin with this?

#13 Tue, 11/10/2009 - 9:46pm

Try them all then buy a PUEO.

It will ultimately come down to you but I would recommend the PUEO based on my experiences on it, and also knowing the guys at KAMANU are all great guys and will stand by their product. (not saying others won't, just that I know they will)

#14 Tue, 11/10/2009 - 9:53pm

I think jpi92109 hit the nail on the head.

Scorpius XM really has not hit the market yet. Most people who tried the the original Scropius loved it, but some found it a bit big. The new XM has almost the same overall dimensions as the Pegasus, which opens it up to a wider range of paddlers.

No doubt the Pueo has earned an irrefutable reputation. I have personally witnessed at least three people move from either Pegasus or Zephyr to become faster on the Pueo. I have ridden the demo one time and the boat felt "natural" right away.

As for Osprey, we have not seen many (if any) on Kauai. So again, it is hard to compare it against the others.

#15 Wed, 11/11/2009 - 8:42am

"We all know Kai & Karel could make a 2x4 fast. But when people switch to a pueo they seem to go faster. No offense to any of the other boats or their builders. I’m just speaking on the results. If you look at the placings of where people finished before and after being on a pueo the results will tell you the truth. It doesn’t matter if your a slow paddler or a fast one the boat does make a difference." - Aukina

First lets say that if Danny were also on any other boat he could go fast, lets even say that if Danny used a 2x4 and was winning in California, the sales of wood might increase.
Next, Let me ask Aukina a question.....How much more did you train this past year while on a Pueo? You went quite a bit faster, but can you honestly think that it was all the boat?
No doubt people are moving faster, but lets take into account how and what they were doing differently.
That being said,
-Were they young paddlers still improving? Usually when young paddlers start one manning their results will be cut in half just by experience and more training.
- How about some of the others who have moved up in the results? Can all of those people honestly say that they did nothing differently and some how the wings of the pueo carried them up the ranks?
No doubt that Kamanu supports their paddlers well and are helping them raise their level, but it is hilarious to think that a boat does everything.
This evenings forecast -flash flood warnings....kind of like the Pueo flooding the canoe market.

#16 Wed, 11/11/2009 - 9:16am

Fist off let me say I am not deriding the Zephyr. I am merely making observations. It seems that boat is geared more for large surf conditions and not the 4 foot wind chop we mostly get around Kauai. Who knows what would happen if you stacked the Zephyr against the Pueo in the channel on a big year?

The 3 people I referred to are all mid-pack paddlers like me. And I am referring to last year's season.

Rider one: Owned and regularly rode a Zephyr. I could easily beat him on my Pegasus. In fact, I can not recall him ever pulling ahead on me. He shows up with a Wai Nui and immediately is hanging closer or even to me. He then moved to Pueo, and I have not beat him since. Yes, it could be he was improving, but the immediate results from changing boats is glaring.

Rider two: Does okay on a Pegasus. Moves to Zephyr and moves several places back in the pack. Moves back to Pegasus and resumes his earlier performance. Moves to Pueo and moves ahead several places in the pack.

Rider three: Does well on a Pegasus. I am even with or beating him. He moves to Pueo and moves ahead several slots in the pack, including me.

Again, these are my observations of people I regularly paddled with.

#17 Wed, 11/11/2009 - 10:04am

x

#18 Mon, 03/07/2011 - 6:07pm

Get a Pueo. As good or better than the others and made in the USA.

#19 Wed, 11/11/2009 - 10:43am

I live in Hawaii, born and raised. I just seen in the last OC1 Halloween race the first 20 boats were all Pueo's. The only thing I don't like about the Pueo is the ama. Looks big and clunky. But it's been winning everything.

#20 Wed, 11/11/2009 - 11:19am

Hey Jim, dont know how you know the Pueo is better than either of the other boats were talking about but XM's are also made in Hawaii. Osprey's you have the choice weather Hawaii or heavy....I mean China.

#21 Wed, 11/11/2009 - 1:11pm

So I am really leaning toward a Pueo. But I cant test one, they are in Maui. I like the Osprey, Jr talked alot about how the seat was really low and you can really set next to the water and feel it. Also the ama center sweet spot was moved up to around your hip to have a greater feel. I know the Pueo is the best right now and everyone is for it but what if the next big boat is the Osprey or the XM.

What do you all think about the Pueo's ama. The fat straight ama?????????

Mahalo!!!

#22 Wed, 11/11/2009 - 2:26pm

You gotta paddle them. Dont buy a boat without testing one. All 3 are gonna feel fairly different from each other.

#23 Wed, 11/11/2009 - 2:36pm

Sad to say but...i can also vouch that improvements in my part can be 99.9% attributed to Pueo.

2008 vs. 2009
- 10lbs heavier.
- less training.
- move up to Pueo.
- 10 minutes faster on the same exact race/course. Compared some of the names of people finishing right around the same time, they have about the same finishing times as the year before...so the improvement is real.

Now I am just kicking myself for gaining all that weight and not training properly...i probably would have done way better.

Looking forward to trying out the XM and see what the fuss is all about.

#24 Wed, 11/11/2009 - 2:33pm

Bottom line for me is that I have no clue if id be faster on an XM or a Pueo. I do know I wasnt super stoked on the Pueo but it was faster than my Zephyr for sure. Nothing surfs like a full size Scorpius in good open ocean conditions, period. So when the XM came out I was all over it. It is so much fun to paddle and thats why I love it. Maybe a Pueo would be a hair faster in the flat, maybe not, but I have so much fun now I dont really care and thats what its all about for me since I wont be competing for a solo win anytime soon.

#25 Wed, 11/11/2009 - 2:41pm

Indar,

You will ultimately have to decide for yourself but while the PUEO's ama may be bordering on horrifically ugly, it is awesome on the water. It has the least drag of any ama I've ever paddled with, and you don't even notice it's there. Also with the way the PUEO seat and gunwales around the cockpit are set up you are very "in tune" with the boat as any motion in the seat is transferred through to the boat by the gunwales that are in contact with the seat over a large surface area.

I'll also add a +1 for Kamanu only producing boats in Hawaii.

#26 Wed, 11/11/2009 - 4:57pm

KDKOORS- I hear you have been working too much at a desk job and have been paddling less lately so that is why these people are faster than you now. They all have been training hard, paddling frequently, doing Molokai and winning their division, soooo... it could be the paddler, and that is where the credit should primarily be due. These 3 guys have been training hard! Pueo is a good canoe - no doubt about it. But get the good paddlers on the XM and you'll see changes this year. In Honolulu most of the good paddlers are on Pueos. On the Big Island, Maui, and Kauai you'll see more top finishes on XMs and Scorpius. Everyyone should try a few canoes before they buy as canoes are different for different paddlers' styles, etc. Many of the responses above are from guys who probably were beat by Lauren and Alana Goo-Frasier in the last MoloSolo on their Pegasus.

A coach once told me "miss a day on the water, you know it; miss two days, your best friend knows it; miss a week, everyone knows it. Another reason why Tahiti is tough - they don't miss many training days.

#27 Wed, 11/11/2009 - 6:59pm

"Many of the responses above are from guys who probably were beat by Lauren and Alana Goo-Frasier in the last MoloSolo on their Pegasus."

Not something to feel bad about i would imagine. Them ladies are fast yo.

#28 Wed, 11/11/2009 - 10:56pm

God don't I know it! The events I am referring to occurred in the fall, winter, and spring prior to May, 2009, before my schedule when to garbage. After that,I agree, I began to move back in the pack relative to everybody. But maybe the Peuo owners I am referring to in the above anecdotes would care to comment?

Again, my observations. And it's not possible to give either an the Osprey or XM a fair shake considering neither are common in the wild yet.

#29 Thu, 11/12/2009 - 7:16am

Hoot Hoot
To be honest i do make people faster. And i am tired, you try carrying Jimmy Boy all year
Iam a mountain owl, why i am doing multiple Hawaii Kai runs?

#30 Thu, 11/12/2009 - 9:08am

The first shipment of Pueos to Australia arrived this week and I had my first paddle on mine yesterday.
I had a big smile on my face for the whole run for it is fantastic.
Had a pegasus which I still really like but the OWL was without a doubt a lot faster for me in the bumps.
My mate who I paddle with all the time and usually beats was on his trusty Hurricane and he couldnt keep up when I had a go. Because it is so responsive It didnt feel big for me at all I weigh 130 lbs.
Will see how it goes tomorrow morning with no wind.
Also I was fortunate to get the best damn looking oc1 that I have ever seen, a huge thank you to the artist and craftsmen at Kamanu, will send you some photos (rambo is coming over tonight will try and get him to film it)

#31 Thu, 11/12/2009 - 8:09pm

First the padller and then the Boat....The Boat is only as fast like the padller.

#32 Fri, 11/13/2009 - 10:12am

It is all about the motor but any motor will move faster in a better chassis.

#33 Fri, 11/13/2009 - 11:30am

Whatever you decide, you better get on a waitinh list. Or else you'll do more wishing and waiting than anything else. Just race the boat you got now, hell with waiting for a newone. PA'A race tomorrow!

#34 Fri, 11/13/2009 - 4:38pm

So do you spend the extra $1000 dollars for the better Pueo???

#35 Fri, 11/13/2009 - 4:47pm

You mean versus a china osprey?? Id say yes to that for sure but demo an XM first. The boat is EQUALLY, yes I said it, equally as mean, costs the same and will probably take the same if not a little less time to get than a Pueo. And when I say this im assuming you live in hawaii so I could be completely off base here.

#36 Fri, 11/13/2009 - 6:41pm

jpnineball, how do you know that osprey and XM are "equally mean"? Is this an opinion, or did you measure them w/ a meanometer?

#37 Fri, 11/13/2009 - 6:54pm

Im talking about the Pueo and the XM. And I believe you said the exact same thing in a previous post above?? Its my personal opinion when I see how I compare to guys on boats now versus how I did before. Same as others have been doing with their Pueos. None of the stuff were discussing on here is fact. The only fact is that the Pueo has some gnarly competition now.

#38 Fri, 11/13/2009 - 7:04pm

You guys are all killing me! I have not trained since Sept. and I will be racing on an XM tomorrow...now, I, the paddler, must live up to the hype of all this new canoe BS. There is a canoe out there for every paddling style. I happen to like and do very well on Kai's products and not on others. I have friends that have trouble on Pueo's and OC canoes, and others who love to paddle them. Bottom line, they are all good products that will make the right paddler happy. You have to try them all before you blindly purchase. I hate having to live up to hype when I have had no time to train!!!!!!

#39 Fri, 11/13/2009 - 9:36pm

indar- why are you including the Osprey- it is a new canoe but not a midsize like the XM or Pueo?

#40 Sat, 11/14/2009 - 8:27am

So did anyone paddle a Scorpius XM in the Pa'a Thanskgiving race? How did they do?

#41 Mon, 11/16/2009 - 6:48am

PAt Dolan did - hasn't been doing much OC1, mostly Surfski. So a good finish for him.

#42 Mon, 11/16/2009 - 7:59am

That Aaron Napoleon....... imagine if that guy would even think about training. NATURAL!!!

#43 Mon, 11/16/2009 - 9:15am

Besides the Pueo Ama what design elements make these canoes so amazing?
Have there been any major advancements in these three boats?
Are people enjoying rocker changes? Radical nose redesigns, tail redesigns, rudder changes?
I'd love to hear your take on specific elements of the canoes.
Thank you

#44 Mon, 11/16/2009 - 9:25am

Hoot Hoot

To answer your question. I just fly like hell

#45 Mon, 11/16/2009 - 9:32am

Anyone got some birdshot, I'm out!

#46 Mon, 11/16/2009 - 6:48pm

I promise you wont need it Clarkie. They will choke on exhaust!

#47 Mon, 11/16/2009 - 6:56pm

Besides the Pueo Ama what design elements make these canoes so amazing?
Have there been any major advancements in these three boats?
Are people enjoying rocker changes? Radical nose redesigns, tail redesigns, rudder changes?
I’d love to hear your take on specific elements of the canoes.
Thank you

#48 Tue, 11/17/2009 - 9:36am

Thank you for asking that dubois....also my question. There are far more similarities then differences. The only major change that is readily obvious is the Pueo's ama. The ama has a flat bottom and I noted when getting any kind of swell or ripple behind it the ama would lift and plane on the water's surface. The boat does not track and maneuvers really well between bumps. Very fun. If speed or racing were not issues- and someone just wanted to "soul" paddle- the pueo would be a good choice because it is so much fun to use.

#49 Tue, 11/17/2009 - 10:54am

I beg to differ. These 3 boats are VERY different....but I don't even want to get into it.

#50 Tue, 11/17/2009 - 11:06am

Hay guys here is some interesting stuff Luke told me about the Pueo Ama. "basically it's designed to be more efficient through the water at all times, no matter how much weight is being put on it. Most amas on the market have a lot of rocker, and they are designed to sit minimally on the water. Imagine a basketball sitting on the water. It would be incredibly efficient with no weight on it because there would be very little displacement. Now put some weight on the basketball, and then try and push it through the water. It would be extremely inefficient yeah? That's what happens with most traditional OC-1 amas. They are incredibly efficient when there is no weight on them, but as soon as you lean left they start to push a lot of water. The Pueo ama, with it's lack of rocker, is basically designed to work as if it's a second hull. When there is very little weight on it, it will skim the surface like any other ama. But when there is a lot of weight on (paddling on your left side) it will still be skimming the water rather than submerging." Now I want one even more.

#51 Tue, 11/17/2009 - 11:55am

Well there you go! Get one! 3,000 satisfied customers can't be wrong!

#52 Tue, 11/17/2009 - 3:20pm

3000 people werent wrong. But they can be frustrated when they see that something new and improved has come along, and it has. Not enough XM's out yet on a broad range of skill levels for it to be obvious, yet. The XM will never be among the masses in my opinion because it wont be produced in the numbers here locally the way Kamanu has produced the Pueo. But just as people got faster on a Pueo over their previous rides, those same folks would be faster on an XM, in my opinion. Ive now ridden this thing in flat, small chop, coastal downwind, open ocean, and different conditions where I was side by side with Pueos and im not gonna say im faster than anyone cuz im not but the boat just moves better. I like stirring the pot, obviously, but I mean this all in good fun so please go easy.

#53 Tue, 11/17/2009 - 5:22pm

If you saw all three canoes side by side- the hull configurations wouldl not be that much different. The only radical change is the Pueo's "ama". Degrees of rocker ? Degrees of cut in from cockpit to stern and/or bow ? Weight ? Etc. We are talking degrees, nuances, refinements- nothing radical. The ski guys have all gone through that. The hulls do not differ that much. Some better in some conditions- some in others. We have amas. That Pueo ama is a major innovation. It would be very interesting to get an ama like that configured to other canoes and see if they moved better. Hats off to the Pueo guys...Kauai boys are always out there on the edge.

i wonder if an ama can be patented?

#54 Tue, 11/17/2009 - 7:30pm

I do see all three boats side by side. Multiple times a week. The group I paddle with includes 2 Pueos, 2 Ospreys, Scorpius, Pegasus, XM, Vantage, Fusion, to name a few. I still disagree with you poidog to the point where I think It's disrepecting these boat builders to say their boats are only nuances apart. Dimensions aside, volume appropriation is way different. One has chines, one has a broad flat section on the hull. Rudders are way different. The tails are all different. That's just the tip of the ice berg. I guess to the less discerning eye, they look the same. I quit on this topic...The Pueo ama I agree with you, is radically different. Kudos to Kamanu on that...To each his own. I love my Scorpius. You love your Pueo. She loves her Osprey. He loves his Mantra. Yada, yada, yada...Indar, get a Pueo. You'll be happy...Then ask what's better, OC-1 or V-1? Those threads are way more entertaining.

#55 Tue, 11/17/2009 - 8:12pm

I couldnt agree more! But it I think its fun to tslk smack about your ride. Its the same in just about any product.

#56 Tue, 11/17/2009 - 8:41pm

My thoughts - nothing new here, more intended for paddlers new to the sport:

Builders test their models before they decide to make a mould and go into production.
The testing is done with GPS, heart rate monitor, many different conditions etc.

Only when the results are promising/ and an improvement, a mould will be built and production will be started.
It is too costly and time consuming to produce a boat that no one wants to buy.

The Pueo is likely faster than the Kainalu, the Osprey likely faster than the Zephyr, the Scorpius X likely faster than the Scorpius.
Some boats are built with emphasis on flat water speed, some with emphasis on medium conditions, some with emphasis on larger open ocean conditions.
If a builder wants, for example, worldwide recognition of a product, he will aim to win the Molokai Solo, and build a boat that does well in channel conditions.
If a builder wants to sell mainly to the local market, he will try to make the boat look good in local conditions, let's say California.

Some boats tolerate extra weight better than others, some boats tolerate extra height better than others.
Some are more comfortable than others.
Some boats take off on the waves a little better, other boats glide a little better down the wave face, etc..
Some have a more responsive steering.

Some are better built than others. This is a question of personal preference, regarding the materials used etc., too.
Do you like absolute high tech or do you want safety first, or tried and proven etc..

It matters a bit in which conditions you paddle and what type of paddler you are, weight and such.
In addition, you may like the looks of one boat better than the other.

Amas have had a straight design in early stages of OC 1 design; it is not entirely new.
I like the Pueo ama. I think its main feature is that it helps to reduce roll of the boat to the left.
And when I see Karel Jr.'s set up and see that his ama barely touches the water, maybe with an area of about two post cards - I like that, too. Don't know about Scorpius.

The boats are usually designed with the help of one key test paddler - maybe 5'8" , 180 lbs. The boat is optimized for
that paddler.
The more you are off that 'test-paddler'-scale, the less likely the boat will perform similarly for you.
Over a three hour open ocean race, such details will definitely matter.

The three hull designs are very different, in my opinion, and behave differently; most important question for me is rather: "am I sitting in the 'sweet spot' of the boat, in other words, how is the trim of the boat when I myself am sitting on it ? ( upwind very easy, downwind not so easy = you're sitting behind the sweet spot, etc.)

I paddle Pueo, Zephyr and a modified Hurricane. How do these boats work for me, tall paddler, 210 lbs ? -
The Hurricane easily wins in flatter conditions up to 10 knots. The Pueo shines in medium and, most of all, side-on conditions and the Zephyr is the best in 'connecting' waves in medium plus conditions.
Your mileage may obviously differ.

Like others said before: one should paddle a boat in favorite/local conditions before buying to see how it works, if possible.

Kamanu lets you have the Pueo for an entire week to test it - I definitely liked that.
Outrigger Connection just needs a call and you are ready to go.
I am not sure how easy it is to test the latest Scorpius on Oahu.

PS:
'China built' often is a quality marker in my experience. Some of the boats I owned were China built , some Hawaiian.
Boat building can be absolute high tech and requires a lot of know how and experience. The numbers of OC 1 in production does not justify the investment needed for true high tech. The China productions are
closely supervised. Epic builds in China as well, most Olympic race boats built in China, most of the fiber glass, carbon fiber etc, used in boat building, are produced in China to begin with.

#57 Tue, 11/17/2009 - 9:09pm

my take on this is that alot of the boat builders are making what they feel is the best, most efficient, and fastest boat they can possibly produce at this time. and i think that through original research and development and refining the boats are coming closer and closer together. and i in no way feel that any boat builder is copying another. its almost that they are finding out the best formula to make the boats perform in their chosen conditions. just like most makana aliis and kia kaha paddles, if you hold two of them up together, their blades are almost identical, but theyre not copying eachother theyre just two original builders that are making the best thing they can possibly put out. one another note when it comes to buying one you should try them all out and get what works the best for you,

#58 Tue, 11/17/2009 - 9:33pm

Eckhart that has got to be one of the most thoughtful and non-biased (besides mentioning what you ride) post I have seen in a long time...I agree. I happen to ride an XM and have tried pueos, zephers, etc. etc. You gotta try um all and buy what feels right and works best for you.

#59 Tue, 11/17/2009 - 9:40pm

Hoot Hoot!

Here I thought that my fellow Bredren' were endangered! 3000 customers? Gosh, Now you guys are really starting to ruffle my feathers

#60 Wed, 11/18/2009 - 7:29am

Its gonna be a sad day for value when all those start hitting the used market, unless your in the market for a great used boat!

#61 Wed, 11/18/2009 - 7:36am

Thank you eckhart.
That's what i was hoping for...

#62 Wed, 11/18/2009 - 9:17am

Welcome back Eckhart I hope you can stick around.

aloha,
pog

#63 Wed, 11/18/2009 - 9:32am

Totally agree with Eckhart on the weight placement ... This is a big one ... Time spent on fine tuning this can make a big dirfference.
Form follows function but I hope the boats never end up look so generic like all the new cars.

Anyone have an XM on Big Island ?

aloha,
pog

#64 Wed, 11/18/2009 - 9:36am

Good to see you have finished your sabatical and have been drawn back into your internet addiction Eckhart.
I know we talked about the importance of trim before and how this is mostly overlooked in the design of canoes. Perhaps the different sizes of the Scorpious is an attempt to address this. Obviously the best way to trim is to have adjustable foot pedals so you can sit your behind in exactly the sweet spot for that canoe. Without that adjustment the "best" canoe may not suit you at all!

#65 Wed, 11/18/2009 - 11:25am

Could you folks provide some insight on alternate ways to rig or trim your Pueos? Mine has 2 pukas in the front of the ama and a twist adjustable connnection at the rear of the ama. What conditions would you use the top puka versus the lower puka? How far out (up) do you like to adjust the rear iako and why? I appreciate hearing all ideas about weight placement and finetuning.

#66 Wed, 11/18/2009 - 12:20pm

ps - great post eckhart

#67 Wed, 11/18/2009 - 12:38pm

Well Indar..... welcome to the wonderful world of personal opinion. Hope you were able to pull out some of the good advice when it surfaced in this thread because I think there was some.

I added my 3 cents early on in this post and after reading all the posts again would simply say get it down to 2 of the 3 you are thinking of and see if you can get both boats out a few times in the same location on the same day. Then if you get a clear winner begin the process tweaking the ride and set-up for you.

Enjoy...

#68 Wed, 11/18/2009 - 1:17pm

pueo

#69 Sun, 01/31/2010 - 11:52am

Lots of good canoes out there. Pueo. Scorpius, XM, Pegasus, Zephyer and more. Look at the results of races on all islands. Looks more like the engine than the canoe.

#70 Mon, 02/01/2010 - 6:51pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.326 seconds.