New Race, New Rules?

The Pa’a ‘Eono Hoe is three days away. This race will change our sport. By opening the field to any six-man canoe specifications our sport is taking a step in the right direction. Don’t get me wrong- I do believe in preserving the culture and tradition of Hawaiian outrigger canoe paddling. We will always remember and honor where/how Hawaiian canoe paddling came to be. But we have already stepped away from tradition by changing so many things, such as racing in fiberglass canoes. If there are six people in the canoe with an ama rigged out to the left, is the tradition not alive anymore? Why not open the specifications completely?
http://www.velzyhawaii.com/Velzy_Hawaii/Blog/Entries/2010/5/20_New_Race%...

Submitted by PatDolan on Thu, 05/20/2010 - 3:49am

Great article.
Lets not forget the fun factor, The faster we are able to paddle the more we can surf the bumps and propel the va'a from point A to point B. I paddle because simply put, it's plain fun and I love the excitement. I agree, Increase the fun and the sport will grow both from a spectator and paddler perspective.

As for "tradition" What is tradition, really? Is the tradition the Va'a or a set of rules that govern the weight of the va'a? Look at any old sport, golf, football, soccer, boxing, and even auto racing and visualize at the difference of those sports between now and back then. Now visualize the Va'a or V-6 and for the most part, we (Hawaii) seem to be stuck in a trough between two swells while the rest of the pacific are saying "imua" to the sport of the 6 man canoe.
My point, the tradition is in the V-6 canoe and not necessarily the rules of men. Rules that govern a canoe's form absolutely retard the sport when it hinders the function of the main aspect of the sport. Marara

#1 Thu, 05/20/2010 - 6:20am

Tradition is what we choose to recognize as our foundation. Not all aspects of the past are traditional, not all ideas are recognized as traditional. Does the ama have to be on the left?
Congratulations to Manny and all the participants in the Pa`a Eono. Have a safe crossing.

#2 Thu, 05/20/2010 - 7:24am

I think we honor the traditional aspect of Hawaiian canoe racing during regatta season when we race the beautiful Koa canoes. The materials are (mostly) Hawaiian and everyone has a great time.
This new venue allows the sport to grow. When Manny offered this race a few short months ago, people scrambled to get new designs to race. Kamanu has built two brand new canoes. Old canoes are being refurbished that were never allowed to race before. It allows the canoe builders old and new a way to channel their creativity.
If there is this much excitement now, imagine what we will be seeing in a year's time. This race is going to be huge.
Hat's off to Manny for having the vision to do something new.
Good luck to everyone racing this weekend in this inaugural race. You are making history.

#3 Thu, 05/20/2010 - 9:12am

2nd that ... ALL ABOVE ...

God I wish I had a bigger shop ....

aloha,
pog

#4 Thu, 05/20/2010 - 9:28am

All of those who are eager to jump on the "no rules" bandwagon should bear in mind that the canoe builders have no idea how to build a faster canoe. Certainly they can build a lighter weight canoe that would require less effort to move forward but to assume that they have a portfolio of super canoes in their design folder is a flawed logic. The lack of rules in OC-1 has produced no serious innovations. All of the currently popular OC-1 canoes are very similar in proportions. Length, width, weight are all similar. The marketing strategy for canoe builders is to get a really fast individual or team to paddle their product and to claim superiority based on the performance of that individual or crew in races. I agree that having design rules does limit creativity but the lack of rules opens the door to people (clubs) wasting a lot of money on the newest design which may or may not be an improvement on what they currently are racing. Builders may be quick to copy Tahitian designs but the canoes in Tahiti are all very similar with slight variations. The top crews still finish in the front no matter what canoe they are using. If clubs are willing to throw money around on unproven designs then no rules is a good idea. I don't think canoe clubs have that kind of money and I don't think that builders are willing to invest a lot of money in new canoe designs that will not sell. If some designer/builder happens, by luck, to create a really superior canoe, then everyone will be obligated to buy that canoe and we will be right back where we are now with a one-design class. Is it worth it? If you have the money to throw around, maybe it is.

#5 Thu, 05/20/2010 - 7:50pm

wasn't going to read this thread but then I saw TC commented to I had to.

Interesting comments TC and I want to disagree but can't because your logic is sound.

From what I've been hearing about some canoes entering this weekend, we will test your logic and see how sound it is...

#6 Thu, 05/20/2010 - 8:17pm

By that logic we wouldn't have cell phones, high definition tv, Iphones, DVDs, color tv, solar panels, wind farms etc.... All these were extremely over priced in the beginning, then rich people bought them, then more people bought them then manufacturers massed produced them then prices came down then more people could afford them then you know the rest of the story.

Maybe the people that market better also make better canoes. But if marketing was so important and really had the affect you say it does then when karel was winnin all the kolos everyone would have bought zephyrs, guess what they didn't. If bet if oc offered to give top girls who paid for their pueos free boats they wouldn't race them. If marketing was so influential why aren't we all using apple tv, bing search engine ( when was the last time you saw a google advertisement) bet you've seen a bing advertisement though. I think tha is insulting that you think of us paddlers are smart enough to choose the right boat for us because of marketing. You think we are zombies. I'll tell you why everyone is on pueos......for the most part people go faster on them, then guess what..... They tell their friends and let their friends use the boat. Then that person sees what a great product it is then they buy it. Guess what again.... Word of mouth advertising is the best advertising an 99% of the pueo owners I know love their boat and have moved up substantially in race position.

The pueo might look like any other boat, but it performs like no other.

I don't own a pueo and do t plan on buying one. But, it's a fantastic boat.

#7 Thu, 05/20/2010 - 8:22pm

jus wonderin; if it blows 30 knots on race day and the channel is ropin will the "unlimited" canoes be able to handle? by making them super-light will they in some way sacrifice strength? i fish on my boat alot in the channel and have been out there many times when the wind and seas are just honkin and depending on tide and current it can get kinda nuts out there. it would be safe to assume that each crew would weigh in at least a thousand pounds, a thousand pounds of humanity flying down a 10-15ft. swell must put incredible stress on the boat. again, i'm by no means an expert on canoe design, i was just wondering if any of the experts would be willing to comment on this.

#8 Thu, 05/20/2010 - 8:55pm

Tommy, it would be nice to have lighter canoes - think of the kids, women, seniors and everybody else who has to carry the weight - it can't be good for your lower back.

@ healthyearth - you probably don't know how many OC canoes have been sold world wide - I can assure you that it is a very impressive number, OC 1 and OC 6. There are a lot of reasons for that, ranging from workmanship, over service to constant innovation, and, one of the main factors as Tommy already stated, Junior's being the undisputed best open ocean paddler and Lanikai winning the channel races on Outrigger Canoes OC 6.
So: - "guess what" - they did buy, many of them.

The Pueo fills a need between the faster flat water Hurricane and the faster open ocean Kai Waa, Zephyr/OC and others.
It is a very nice all around boat and I like to paddle it because it is very comfortable to paddle, very well balanced in the waves.

In terms of pure speed - I am not sure that claims of superiority can be made. It depends too much on the conditions, each canoe has slightly different waters where it shines.

#9 Thu, 05/20/2010 - 11:34pm

I think Tommy's comments are appropriately cautionary. There is a downside to innovation and it is $$ expenditure by the clubs, as well as the manufacturers. This will be particularly challenging to the smaller clubs. We've all witnessed the explosion of new OC-1s in recent years. Often, when a new boat comes out, everyone flocks to that product......until the next one is produced. Everyone wants to emulate the leaders, but as a friend of mine said a few years ago, "I could use Lance Armstrong's bike, but I wouldn't produce Lance Armstrong results." There's clearly more to being a champion than the equipment used.

Having said that, I applaud the changes to OC-6 specs. They've been a long time coming. I suspect at some point we'll settle in on a preferred model and design and the competition will once again stabilize. Time will tell........

#10 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 5:24am

There are little changes that can be made to the canoe that could help the performance and ability of paddlers. These changes would not be costly but pivotal in Outrigger Canoe Paddling. We are not trying to reinvent the wheel, but why not make the wheel better! The design is one thing, but what about making smaller adjustments that the rules do not permit?
http://www.velzyhawaii.com/Velzy_Hawaii/Blog/Entries/2010/5/21_New_Race%...

#11 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 6:57am

Eck,

Sounds like you agree with me that people in Hawaii bought the canoe because of good word of mouth marketing (I'm sure you and all your friends bought the boat for the right reasons). But, seems like you believe people overseas bought them because the best paddler was on them (wrong reason). So people in Hawaii are smart enough to buy what is best but people far away are not. I am not sure the what the sales overseas are, but I know that distrubution and business acumen play a huge part in increasing the reach of ones product. From what I can tell OC had better business sense than KW a few years ago. The customer service from OC dwarfed other builders in Hawaii (Post Kamanu). I also know that OC pushed their product overseas better than competing boat builders by sending canoes over and know they would sell and then he would get his money back. Other canoe builders didn't want to take that risk or they didn't have the vision OC had.

In regards to the cost of innovation. How much is it costing OC and KW and other manufactures to not have a boat as innovative as the Pueo. Let's see Kamanu has a 10 month wait and the other canoe builders have boats in stock. I'll spend the extra money to be in Kamanu's postion.

#12 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 7:50am

Completely agree with all these comments, and while the Pueo is a great boat, probably the all around most high performing boat, what is SO revolutionary about it? People have asked this before... I think general comments like this is why people feel like this is a kamanu kiss-ass forum. I am a HUGE Pueo fan, I have owned two, It is well made, innovative ama, great people running the business... but it is not some state-of-the-art Bugatti of the outrigger world. We are all paddling accords, camrys, civics, and jettas.

TC has valid points, unlimited is the way of the future, but what about clubs that aren't as rich... You really are setting up a race for Lanikai, Outrigger and maybe Hui Nalu to win, maybe a sponsored crew (Primo, Pa'a, Kamanu). Will the kids on Kaua'i at my club, or the kids on any island at any small club feel like getting into the sport as hard core as the Dolans, Simeon, Puni? If you don't have money, you can't win... that's not a good way to start, that's half of why these rules are around... so that said, it is GREAT to have some unlimited races, but the answer isn't to suddenly make everything unlimited.

#13 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 8:51am

@healthyearth - they bought Outrigger Connection canoes 'for many reasons', Karel's performance is one of them.

All the other reasons are 'right' reasons. Design, workmanship, customer service, distribution, promptness etc..

While many have contributed to the development of the sport, it seems to me that Outrigger Connection is prominently responsible for the current state of the art: many design features, constant improvement, 'worldwide distribution', the dominant paddler, etc.
In the past that may have been Tommy Connor, Walter Guild, John Martin ea, but over the last decade it has been Outrigger Connection, less Kai Waa, Huki, plus Hurricane and others.

What is different with the Pueo ?

Kamanu Composites seems to have a defined and excellent business strategy. Example - building the lightest and the stiffest canoe - strong selling points; local identity, etc.. If you are cool you paddle Pueo. All that is quite an achievement.

Kai Waa countered this with more aggressive marketing of the Scorpius XM.

Outrigger Connection has been relatively silent in the market, even though they have a stunning recent model, the Osprey.

As per the Pueo - it is a boat that turned out to be a pleasure to paddle. The hull existed before; changes were made to good effect. The eye catching change, and you may say innovative, came about a year later - the straight ama.

Again performance: some time ago race results in Maui always had Hurricane all over the charts - but Kai Waa boats are faster in the open ocean. Thus: not conclusive.
The channel record still stands and you know who owns it.

The above is part of my personal opinion - please disagree and correct as you see fit.

@rules and regulations: you need a 'standard' class for regattas; defined by a few rules. I would like them to drop the weight limit.
Carrying these boats is a health hazard.

#14 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 9:59am

Let me throw my hat into the ring here. My three cents: First, I respect everyone's opinion in this thread, particularly TC's, immensely, and all have valid points. Two, Koa canoes are vital to our sport; that said, if clubs can afford an expensive Koa (in some cases $100,000 canoe) I think canoe clubs should, with extra fundraising, be able to afford an open class canoe. At least that is my hope. Third, I think the pueo is the best boat I have paddled, and there are certain aspects of the boat that make it unique. Potentially, said aspects may be able to translate to a six man. If so, the sky is the limit. Just my thoughts.

ps what about making it purely unlimited: three mans, four mans, five mans? for some arbitrary reason we think that a canoe, more specifically, a racing canoe has to be a six man. anyhow, good luck to all.

#15 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 9:51am

@numerono - do you mind sharing which unique aspects you have identified ?

#16 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 9:56am

Goal of post: probe for specificity and excavate for clarity:

As a Pueo owner (two) and Kamanu fan (of business plan) I am on board...but I still have heard no specifics on these amazing features of the Pueo that make it the best boat ever made, so good we are now going to make 6 man molds from it (exaggeration).

Where are the specifics on why the Pueo is all that and a bag of chips?

#17 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 9:57am

I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but Kamanu Composites' two new V6's were built from scratch, by hand, for about $10K each.

#18 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 10:02am

What makes an Accord a $30k car and a Acura a $60k? Where is the great difference in innovation. Define what you are looking for in great innovation? Are you looking for a tellaporter that is on Startrek, or putting a hydroski on the bottom? They've made a step that is universal among people that have their boats- 99% rave about the Pueo.

The difference between the first place Kentucky Derby Winner and the second place winner is maybe 2 seconds in a 125 second race. So around 1.25%. But the money super saver can make as as stud is probably 25%-50% than the horse that got second. Also, the money that the winner (Super Saver) recieved was 3x (I don't have exact figures) that of the second place horse. My point is that there is grandness in the minor improvements and details.

At a high level fractions make the difference in being idolized or being forgotten.

#19 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 10:42am

Awesome, so they are offering to clubs for purchase at 10k???

Or is their labor, overhead, and profit on top of the 10k?

My oc3 is about $900 in supplies, i made it myself five years ago... they sell for 9k if you buy a professional one (10x's)

These are all great points I agree with, but let's get specific and not so idealistic about Pueos, V6's, unlimited.

There have been massive changes to paddling since I started nearly 40 years ago... T -tops, fiberglass canoes owned by every club, laminated paddles, carbon fiber, kevlar, OC1's...

Let's get specific and talk in reduced-propoganda-fact-based-statements.

#20 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 11:26am

Good point on the Koa's. Insured at $100k, yet priceless.

Having the argument between innovation and tradition is healthy, it comes down to balance, rooted in the past yet embracing the future.

Regarding Kamanu guys, something should be said for the investment (and risk) they are taking to build the sport by taking on the added work load of building 2 v6 from scratch. From here it seems that with the release of the Aukahi v1, the open class v6 and the HVA, Kamanu is carving out a new niche of canoe paddling in Hawaii, that might have the best chance of challenging Tahiti, even if its in future generations. Big picture.

I wouldn't call it a good business plan, but rather a good business philosophy.

#21 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 10:48am

Avoiding a pissing contest...plainly speaking, it surfs better with less effort over a long period of time. It harnesses the power of the wave better than any boat ive paddled. Although not a new concept, the placement of the reserve buoyancy and volume displacement along the hull to maximize wave riding ability with minimum effort has been more successfully applied to the Pueo than other one man designs. Not the fastest top speed, but the best boat.

#22 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 10:51am

Joe...
Agree 100%.
It is a philosophy, that's why they rock! But if it's also not part of their business plan they are not as smart as I think they are. People have to eat and feed their kids.
But still no specifics on these massive innovations on hull design... and like in so many posts that part will die out and then the platitudes on Pueo will come out in the next post and I'll be stuck defending to my paddling freinds why it's my favorite wa'a.

#23 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 10:52am

Basically, our oc-1's are air chambers, and to me the most important feature that was ever developed was the interlocking seams. We take them for granted now a days, but it was a big secret 20 years ago that only few knew how to do. Craftmanship was reflected in the seams and there was a lot of pride doing them until everyone learned the secret.

#24 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 11:01am

How do seams make the Pueo better? How do seam technology of the Pueo transfer to 6 man?

#25 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 11:07am

What is so innovative about tiger woods, michael Jordan? They just perform better than anyone in their genre buy fractions yet get rewarded in multiples. I wish I knew what the exact innovations were that set the pueo apart but I don't. That is something you would have to ask kamanu guys about.

If I knew what they knew I would be a manufacturer instead if a wannabe team rider.

#26 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 11:08am

hahaha true!

Nothing is innovative about Tiger or Michael... they are players
(in this case paddlers)
But if we claimed that their shoes / club made them win, or was a major factor in them winning that would be very different.

I am just longing for specifics about why the Pueo is a good boat over generalities... I think the more generalities about how amazing the Pueo is, the more the non-pueo riders just write off everything we say. I know many people I paddle with are quite turned off by the hype... I would love to be able to tell them why it is true.

Numerouno... that's closer to what I was looking for... but still not really any difference or anything super innovative like many posts claim. I agree 100% with your take on it. However many of my friends claim OC wa'a surf better than Pueo, and many of the claims you make, that I myself make are just claims based on preference.

#27 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 11:33am

hanaleibay1941, touche. I agree with you, great minds think alike. I hate to be modest, but generally, I'm pretty critical of oc designs and skeptical of trends. I was a non-believer until I actually bought one because the list was short at the time. That said I was converted in a short period.

Im not trying to kiss ass either, i even think the Kamanu guys are a bunch assholes. Jus kidding....hehehe

#28 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 11:39am

@hanaleibay1941: specific differences - so I think:

the hull

• the hull is rather round - waves pass under the hull without causing roll ( ball versus flat board; see K1/surfski ); other boats are more 'boxy' - see Hurricane.
    This also allows to paddle down the back of a wave really well - due to better balance ?
    Flies the ama really well, as in OC boats - due to good balance.
  • consistently low weight = layup schedule. Other boats may emphasize other features, such as ruggedness, using Kevlar in the layups, glass to reduce cost etc..
  • stiffness due to diviny-cell core. Allows to use a thinner lay up without sacrificing stiffness.
  • volume/buoyancy distribution seems to tolerate higher weights pretty well. Boat does not pearl.
  • relatively sharp entry; that is good or bad depending on where you paddle and what you want. I guess it causes less sea-sawing, on the other hand it will not push the bow up when trying to connect bumps as much as a boat with a fuller entry at the bow, such as OC models.
  • not able to sit in sweet spot
  • foot pedals not adjustable

the ama

• straightness prevents roll to the left
  • shape has less induced resistance - 'induced' = when the ama is pushed down into the water
  • has more resistance than Hurricane ama in flat water
  • more resistance than an ama with bow up shape due to more wetted surface

the rudder

• simply good; matches the boat very well.

For me the boat performs well because I can control the roll without much weight shift = if I want to paddle ama up or ama light it is easy.
Ama up is when this boat gets quite a bit faster.
Downwind I would like the boat to 'carry' a little longer down the wave face - this may be related to where I sit on the boat, but I think it is also a general design feature. ( my home made surfski is the only boat that can be moved forward by small waves without need for paddle strokes, after moving the bucket forward)

Other canoes have many of these features as well - this is just what comes to my mind while I am paddling the boat.

• we should also mention cost as it relates to materials used

#29 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 2:36pm

This thread started out about a 6-man race and has somehow become the n^infinitieth thread on the Pueo, whether the Pueo is all hype, and if it's the boat or the paddler that makes a difference. I feel compelled to point out all of the blasphemy going on now that Fuzerider is no longer with us. The Pueo will never compare to the chine-equipped divine water rockets coming out of that Holy Temple in Kailua. You guys can talk about designs all day but those are the facts.

I'm entered in Sunday's race in the open tractor pull class. Those Kamanu crews will be seeing my wake all day.

#30 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 1:49pm

Z-rider, you are correct- when the Osprey is away the Pueo will play.

#31 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 2:10pm

Everyone, I am really enjoying this tread and everyone has some valuable input. Finally a intelligent tread without finger point.

We (Team Lanikai Juice) have been lucky enough to enter the Pa'a race with Ryan Pogue's 320lb Bradley Lightning boat. We have done a lot of training on it and have learned a lot with working with Sonny Bradley on how to rig it correctly.

What we learned:
1.) Rigging: The water line is lower (approx 1 1/2 inch) then the 400lb Bradley. It never felt right with the fiber glass ama but when Sonny (specifically Gilbert) got us a carbon fiber ama it matched and felt much better. After three days of rigging and testing we found the tippy or neutral position ( level at seat two and seat five) at front 67 inches and 3/8 shins on both sides and rear 67 1/4 with 1/4 shin on the outside. It flew!!!! Once we found neutral we backed it out to more conservative position of front 68 inches and 3/8 shins on both sides and rear 68 1/4 with 1/8 shin on the outside because of our level of comfort. Typically boats run faster with the Ama closer and if you can reach same stability as a 400lb canoe with the Ama in closer then there is some success.

2.) Weight - After a 24 mile straight run no stopping, six paddler were easily able to carry the boat onto the cradles without a problem. Also Derig and carry to the trailer with 8 people

3.) Surfing - It drops in the bump or swell just a little bit quicker... It does not have as much of a lug or lag before it accelerates or matches the bump. Instead of pushing as hard to catch the bump it makes it just a little bit quicker to catch. It catches the smaller bumps (six inches) easier too...

4.) Speed - It about as fast as the other canoes on glide... Where the increases come is reaching max speed just a little faster and catching smaller bumps that the 400lb can't or dropping in just a little bit quicker or lasting on a bump just a little bit longer. Or connecting...

5.) Strength - We have dropped into some head high swells and felt completely stable. It has some for flex and lengthwise flex then the 400lb Bradley but it feels stable.

6.) Design - It basically is a Bradley Lightning that is eighty pound lighter. It was designed to be able to take the tail off thereby creating a 40ft container able boat. Also there are some countries that do not let you trailer a 45 foot boat because of road restrictions. They went lighter because they did not want to add more filler product that does not add more strength but more weight.

7.) Safety - This was a big consideration for our team... We had to put it through the paces to see if can last a big drop and survive... ITS TOUGH!

From my personal perspective: I feel very fortunate to try this boat out in a competitive environment. Also, It was great to see Kaimanu's composites OC-6 on the water yesterday.

It is important to keep apples and oranges separate... For sprints it is important to keep all boats on a level or standard platform. To the point, Worlds uses all the same designs and weights of canoes. For distance is is important to race canoes of the same class. Traditional (400lb) with traditional (400lb) and 300lbs or less with 300lbs or less and 300+ lbs with 300+..

How many of us know people that have had back injuries or shoulder injuries from carrying a canoe? I really love the fact that we can possible consider using a boat that is lighter and easier for kids, women, older paddlers. It pains me to see four older paddlers not being able to paddle because they are scared that they cannot get the canoe back in the craddles after paddling. The main point is to make the ocean accessible to everyone in a safe manner. THE Main Thing is to get OUT THERE... Coming from the main land not everyone can keep a boat on the sand. San Fran clubs walk the boat a 1/4 mile, and east coast crews have to drop a boat into the water off a river bank of sometimes 6 feet. New York Liberty race you have to carry up a incline of 10 feet vertical distance. Ala Wai paddlers have to tend with the wall... Waikiki Beach Boys and Kam schools.... Okay i will get off soap box..

Tradition is experiencing the manner past elders traveled on the ocean. We dont need to build a replica of the mayflower to experience it. We can rent a modern sailboat and do the distance to experience it and connect the dots to the past.

Many Mahalos to the paddling community and again, thanks to Sonny and Ryan for letting us work with your designs and dreams of a light and faster surfing outrigger.

See ya all on da water!!!

#32 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 2:46pm

@zephyrrider - the content that is not related to the headline is marked with @name_here to make it a personal response. That way you can easily identify what you are supposed to read and what you can skip. There is barely any comment in this thread, including yours, that matches the headline, including the first one :). Nevertheless some interesting ones. There is hardly ever a thread that does not go 'off topic' - you may need to start a new thread for each thought.

#33 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 3:42pm

lliddell, thanks for the feedback on canoes ability to withstand the stress of dropping down a big bump. was jus curious as to how these super-light? canoes would be structurally. guess you should know seeing as how you've been training in one. good luck and have a fast and above all,safe race. myself and many others will be at the finish cheering you and the other crews on!

#34 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 2:45pm

To keep it interesting and continuing, throw the thread wide open, it's good to hear input from people who don't venture here that frequently.

#35 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 2:55pm

@numerouno - "koa canoes are vital to the sport" - can you explain a bit more what you mean ?

#36 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 2:56pm

Pat Dolan is probably not reading this post anymore since it got so off-topic. He had a very valid point about incorporating some simple and inexpensive changes to the six man canoe that would make it more fun to paddle. Current rules only allow manual bailing with a bucket and require that the canoe have a cover in open ocean racing. Anyone who has purchased a cover knows that they are not cheap. If the canoes were built with or retrofitted with a self draining feature then the endless bailing would be eliminated unless the canoe flipped over. You could also consider a battery powered bilge pump. Cost of bilge pump $100. Cost of gel battery pack $200. Cost of racing cover $3000. Do the math.
Regarding the 99% superiority of one brand of anything (pick something). There is a simple law of supply and demand that is taught in every economics class. When demand goes up, the price goes up, not down. If 99% of the club teams are paddling one brand of six man canoe because it is so hot, what will the selling price be?

#37 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 3:20pm

TC how do you explain the cost of HD tv's, cell phones, mp3 players, computers, going down. Everyone has one of these items yet prices continue to fall. If it is simply supply and demand all these items would cost more. If demand goes up then yes immediately prices will and should follow. Then production will increase and get more efficient, now then prices will come down because the business will see that they can sell to larger market and still keep their margin or absolute profit. This scenario leaves out the competition. Competion will come out with a boat that they think is comparable and try to sell it at a price (maybe higher or lower, depending on their strategy, generally lower, unless your are Mercedez who purposely increased their prices without improving anything because they knew people were vain and buyers wanted others to know how much money they had). Now prices start to come down and you still get the quality but at a lesser price. Unfortunately for us paddlers right now no builder has a boat that has the mass appeal of the Pueo. Also, Kamanu doesn't seem to want to come up with more efficient ways of producing boats. If Pueo's keep going up in value there will probably be a backlash against them because peope will feel they are being greedy. Most people wont take the time out to see why their prices are higher ie higher labor cost, better materials, etc.

#38 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 3:44pm

I can see this as being a good starting point for more open class design OC-6 canoes being built for non-Regatta season races. Yes, they won't be considered legal during regular regatta sanctioned races, but for races that are put on for fundraising (Coast Guard Memorial, Kala Kukea Challenge, and others) they may be worth spending the money on to race in. Also, some clubs may already have an older design OC-6 canoe that is not legal under the HCRA rules and just sitting in the back of a halau or even backyard that can now be used again so no extra money need to be spent on a new design/model.

Who knows maybe Manny/PA'A might decide to have some six-man races during the normal one-man season (alternate weekends) where these open design canoes can be used to be raced in. If that happens, I can see people finding/looking for some old canoe builders that no longer build canoes to make a "one-off" six-man for them. If that "one-off" somehow becomes a good design, then they may be sought out again to make another and they may end up back in the business of making canoes or some extra money on the side doing it.

#39 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 4:14pm

Is there any reason why the lightweight Lovell Taylor OC6's aren't racing? I believe at least 2 of them exist at 90kg.

R

#40 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 4:34pm

Healthy. You cannot compare consumer electronics or automobiles to outrigger canoes. A multi-billion dollar industry is not the same as a niche manufacturer of canoes. The price of the items you quoted goes down because there are numerous producers who are in competition with each other. Therefore the supply goes up, the demand remains the same and the price goes down. Right now there are two significant producers of six man canoes, OC and Bradley. If a third producer comes into the market with an obviously superior product the market will shift to this producer in your 99% satisfaction analogy which will create increased demand for ONE product and a corresponding increase in price

#41 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 4:53pm

90 kg? Wow...is there a website for those?

#42 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 5:51pm

90 kg? Wow…is there a website for those?

How about a video

#43 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 6:21pm

Thanks Rambo...a picture is worth a thousand words. I had to do the conversion- 198 lb. canoe for anyone else who is metric-illiterate. Surfed nice. Hope one of those canoes will be in the race.

#44 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 7:11pm

Kamanu vs Outrigger Connection ....I like it.

#45 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 7:30pm

Anyone know the weight of the Kamanu canoes?

#46 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 8:22pm

every person i talk to about ANY light boat is stoked, not one brand or another. so i think weight is a huge part but certainly not the only thing. designers haven't even thought about how to design a lighter and faster canoe because they've never been given a reason to.

all the respect in the world to Tommy for being a great paddler. but i have to disagree on your implication that canoe builders have no idea how to build a faster boat. that would be like saying that a outrigger connection/kamanu/bradley/tahitian boat built today is the same speed as something like a malia mold canoe from the 80's. i happen to be one of the many lucky people that has paddled in malias, hawaiian class racers, bradleys, force fives, lightnings, hawaiian catamarans, and yes even one of the new OC-6 in Kailua. this certainly doesn't make me an expert in design. but i do believe i can say that design in both single person and six person canoes have evolved greatly. not only in construction and materials but also in hull efficiency. to say builders have no idea what they are doing is quite a disservice to all the men and women that have strived over the years (and succeeded!) in dreaming up faster designs for all of us to enjoy. do paddlers honestly think that a HCRA spec canoe is the fastest possible design on the water? really?

i'll be in an unlimited canoe this sunday. no i'm not a designer or builder. just someone who helped put the boat together that will help carry me across the channel. will i win? of course not. will i have FUN? you bet! i'll probably even be beaten by crews in 400 pound spec boats. but for me that's not the point. i strive to have the most fun that me and my crew possibly can.

all the respect to PA'A and Manny for offering us this chance to race whatever canoes people can dream up. also huge respect to the canoe builders and designers that scraped and clawed in a short three months to put together new canoes from SCRATCH. these canoes will be tested in some of the most grueling conditions imaginable. regardless of what happens with these designs and theories, it is an honor to be around and see an aspect of the paddling culture in hawai'i evolve before our eyes. how lucky are we to be present to witness something as fun as this? i've been a mediocre paddler for 20+ years of my life and it amazes me to see a race like this taking place.

see you all out on the water on sunday. it's going to be fun!

#47 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 10:48pm

i think, what really needs to be said is: rules and regulations need to be in place to be fair to "all" participants in races. i'm all for change and evolving the sport, but if only certain crews are able to obtain these "light weight or different" canoes, i think it puts that crew at a unfair advantage to the rest. i like what pa'a is doing, but limits are there for good reasoning. if only certain clubs or sponsored crews are to able to race these canoes, what about the normal every day paddler like myself and the other thousands of paddlers world wide who for some reason can't get or use these boats? i think, showing up to a race and seeing the few clubs and/or sponsored teams with these boats could hurt the sport? the mentality now is, we show up for molokai, and we see the "big" clubs, the tahitians, etc.. and we all racing similar or same model boats with the same weight. what happens if we race with unlimited rules, the faster get faster and the rest of us, get left behind? now, we start killing our own sport? why would i paddle to only see these crews have an unfair advantage? one of the main reasons i race is to see how well we can stand against the elite? i mean common, for molokai, there's only a handful of crews that can call themselves legit contenders, the rest of the field is there for pride and personal achievement. but let it be only a level playing field.

personal note, i think with the explosion of the oc1's, 6 man's are suffering. many rather just do oc1, and in some aspect, i understand why. but in general, even though oc1's are flying off the shelves, i definately see a drop in race attendances? why is that?

#48 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 9:58pm

scoops, i think you might be missing the point as far as this race goes. i don't think it's manny's intention to do away with the current hcra rules and regulations concerning boat specs. he even stated that was not his intention. he just wants to an "iron" molo and have the builders and paddlers bust out whatever thy want as far as boats go. it's not like the kamanu 6man is gonna be used by whatever club during regatta season or during the regular molo. as far as oc-1 race attendance dropping it might have something to do with the economy, plunking down money every week to paddle might be low on the priority list in these tough times. aloha.

#49 Fri, 05/21/2010 - 10:38pm

Pats second sentence from the top post

This race will change our sport.

Maybe not change the sport, but definitely add a branch in an exciting new direction for those that want to pursue it.
Possibly attract a lot of welcome attention and be a better model for export to other countries that are not necessarily bound by the traditional aspects. I say possibly as i personally love the cultural side of the sport, but it has been difficult to promote and perpetuate and is almost non existent now in Australia. It's becoming more a pure sport here than a cultural one which is sad in my eyes. But the good news is even if a tiny bit of culture is preserved, interested people will still look for it's origins and as the numbers grow the connections can still be made.

It certainly gives something that Media can pick up and run with.

R

#50 Sat, 05/22/2010 - 3:14am

I don't know much, but I do know that I just became a masters paddler (yikes), drank a lot of Newcastle tonight and am paddling on Sunday in a brand new canoe. Seat 5 in Kapa'a- Kamanu crew #2. My sophmoric prediction is that the OCP Mafia will shock the world. Not because we are going to crush team Kamanu , but because we will be doing what we love to do- paddling hard, having fun, and pushing the envelope... See you all on Sunday!
Plus I still have lots of beer left over for the Mafia and friends!

Let it be known that I am a bit scared to paddle a canoe made essentially of foam and gorilla glue. But Keizo said it would hold...and I believe him.

#51 Sat, 05/22/2010 - 12:49am

didn't seemt that long ago lightweigth oc1's where frowned apon. I wonder if how many have 30lbers have beeen sold of late. nothing like choice. to paddle not to paddle. O dont think mobile pones where around 1000 years ago, not sure about ther comparsion. dont get real spirtual about my mobile LOL.

#52 Sat, 05/22/2010 - 1:46am

I agree with Pat that this race will change the sport. Outrigger canoe paddling has been ripe for a revolution and I think Manny and the Kamanu guys have lit the fire. Tradition is an important part of this sport but it has also mired it in the past. An iron race plus it is unlimited. This is just fucking fantastic. I am 2500 miles away and rarely paddle anymore but I am psyched for tomorrow.
Does anyone remember about 10 years ago a group of girls ironed the Women's Molokai? They got SO much resistance from the race officials. It was ridiculous. They were local paddlers but had to register as False Creek to get around all the roadblocks they encountered. In spite of it all they did the race and finished.
I hope that this race tomorrow is a new beginning for outrigger canoe racing and canoe design. Imua!

#53 Sat, 05/22/2010 - 6:34pm

I paddled in the Lovell Taylor a couple years back in Maui. Decent sized day - did the Maliko run in it.

Big things I noticed about the lightweight boat:
1 - so easy to carry. Seriously - it's the biggest win of the boat. Humping it around was cake.
2 - not just quicker into the bumps - quicker on them too. Made it easier to link wind chop onto ground swell - working speed up.
3 - felt surprisingly rigid.

Overall I walked away impressed thinking "why the f*** aren't we paddling boats like this?"

Good to see it might finally be happening. We're ripe for a change like this.

#54 Sat, 05/22/2010 - 7:18pm

Rigidity should be no surprise as it's mostly carbon. If you grab the manu and shake a standard Mirage it twists and wobbles, do that to the Lovell and it don't move. Is it still at Hawaiian Club Maui?

R

#55 Sat, 05/22/2010 - 8:22pm

" this race is going to change the sport "
" it is a step in the right direction "

My thought: money changes the sport and that is not a step in the right direction.

What do you think about these two claims ?

#56 Sat, 05/22/2010 - 9:35pm

money changes the sport and that is not a step in the right direction.

Provide an alternative then. Research and development takes money and there needs to be a forum where new designs can be tested (and no, just paddling doesn't count, people like to see comparisons, thus the popularity or races), which also takes money. As sad as it is, money is going to be needed to move forward.

Good luck to all the crews today. Is anyone going to be providing updates from the channel?

#57 Sun, 05/23/2010 - 5:19am

Paddlers will vote with thier money on what type of race they want to do, unlimited or traditional. Manny has given us a choice and I think its great.

#58 Sun, 05/23/2010 - 6:57am

damn, it took waterfun 50+ post to get it right. its about CHOICE. HCRA clubs don't have to buy an unlimited boat. there is a traditional class in the race as well. now you have two leagues to play in. some may not be happy with it but what this race is also doing is giving credit to the underground builders. those who are shunned by HCRA. these guys are out there building "outrigger canoes" not necessarily "traditional canoes" but they are still building a canoe. hopefully the list of builders will expand if unlimited racing continues. and you know there is a bunch of them out there. I give it a couple of years if that, and OC and uncle Sonny will be out there building at least one unlimited them selves. a couple of years after that Eck. will have an unlimited. HCRA isn't going anywhere. if you have money to buy one buy one. if you not want to buy it dont. your CHOICE. its already fun.

#59 Sun, 05/23/2010 - 9:11am

freedom of CHOICE.........but in fact not unrestricted choice, because there must be an ama on the left side, the paddle must be single blade and there must be six paddlers. So anything goes, apart from those restrictions that is???
What I find most interesting is that the new Kamanu 6mans are actually V 6's. They are REAL OUTRIGGERS, with actual rigging not some mechanism to snap-on an ama. Paddlers sit inside the canoe instead of on raised foam seats on the decks, and from what I can tell there is no rudder.

Nice choice guys!

I just hope that paddlers over here are going to want the same freedom of choice instead of support the current one design 6man restriction, which is not even based on a traditional koa.

#60 Sun, 05/23/2010 - 11:28am

@anowara, waterfun, Pat - good points; it should say: "money 'may be' a step in the wrong direction."
@nalunutz - agree; it would be a sit on top Hawaiian outrigger 6 man canoe.

What is the ' new direction' ?

The open class opens a new branch: the curiosity of it will attract media attention, more sponsorship and also more paddlers. It will also be the playground for new design. First with major, later with subtle changes. The weight will drop, the hull will be streamlined a bit, the ama will undergo changes, the seat positions will change, bailers, new deck shapes, integrated drinking system. After a while, a new 'normal' will be reached. A few more builders will enter the market. The successful companies will be able to increase their reach.
All good, definitely an attractive idea.

Is it sustainable to produce new designs often ? Will clubs be able to afford the upgrades ? Who is going to pay for it ? - yes, we are :)
Would this trickle down into regatta season ?

Regattas are done in Koa canoes. They weigh about 400 lbs. That's why fiberglass boats weigh 400 lbs as well, I assume. Nobody wants to change the Koa requirement for traditional reasons. - No change for short distance.

For long distance the weight requirement could be dropped. It may not be desirable, though. You would end up with a heavier 400 lbs and a lighter 250 lbs class. Desirable ? Example: there may be 4 crews with a light boat and 4 crews with a heavier boat in the masters class - enough for real competition ? In the end every club would need at least one light boat for every division. Who will pay for this change ? - Maybe a distant change for long distance season.

Choice: I do not see the point - you can always chose to build a canoe on your own and go paddle it, ama on the left, ama on the right, two amas, no ama etc.. Nobody, - except yourself by not doing it -, has been restricting that.

#61 Sun, 05/23/2010 - 1:27pm

Race Rules (any violation may result in disqualification or time penalty)

CANOE DIVISIONS

Open mold divisions – 1) 300lb.+ 2) Under 300lb. No age divisions for these canoes.
•Length – must be no shorter than 39 feet, and no longer than 45 feet
... why that ? ...
•No foot braces or divots inside the hull for leveraging your body or feet
... auwe, already disqualified before it's even built ...
•Must have 2 iakos, and 1 ama
•Waterline – unrestricted
•Shape – unrestricted
•No mechanical bailers
... again ...
•No sails or other artificial means of propulsion are permitted on the canoe.
•No fins or keels will be allowed on canoe or ama in either division.
... ? ...
•Canvas or other covering on the canoe is MANDATORY.

#62 Sun, 05/23/2010 - 1:39pm

"Open mold divisions – 1) 300lb.+ 2) Under 300lb. No age divisions for these canoes.
•Length – must be no shorter than 39 feet, and no longer than 45 feet
•No foot braces or divots inside the hull for leveraging your body or feet
•Must have 2 iakos, and 1 ama
•Waterline – unrestricted
•Shape – unrestricted
•No mechanical bailers
•No sails or other artificial means of propulsion are permitted on the canoe.
•No fins or keels will be allowed on canoe or ama in either division.
•Canvas or other covering on the canoe is MANDATORY."

These limitations mean that the class is no different to Va'a, except that there will be a possibility of entering V1, V3, V4, V5, V6......etc. etc. ... and of course weight is unlimited except for the 300lb + division.

OC1 has a heel brace facility and a rudder, so will not be elligible.

Niether is it a truly "open" class if kneeler type canoes are not acceptable.

#63 Sun, 05/23/2010 - 1:50pm

Kudos to Keizo Gates. You'll never hear him blow his horn on here so I'll do it for him. Not only did he design a faster canoe, he also engineered it lighter than any canoe I've ever paddled. The crew I crossed with today was made up of 6 good paddlers but I would in no way consider us elite. Kapa'a enabled us to keep up with and finish ahead of many crews that would have otherwise smashed us. Our competition in the open class spanked us but I personally had the funnest crossing I have ever had. To me that was my goal so I'm stoked. I wasn't out there to race other people so much as I was testing myself, my crew, and a new canoe. So what can we take from this? While the current canoes are fast, they will get faster. All 6 paddlers in my crew have decided that we can't really fathom racing in a spec boat again. That's how fun the Kapa'a is.

I find all this talk of expense very interesting. I don't see things getting out of control expensive with these new boats. Once someone finds a new design that works very well it will be molded and mass produced. Total amount of materials required to build one of these light canoes is not out of the ball park or anything. They can still be built light and strong out of fiberglass and foam like the current HCRA spec boats are. Why should they have to cost so much more? Canadian built canoes are already CHEAPER to buy when they are lighter.

Huge thanks to Manny for putting this on. One more thanks to my wife for posting for me while I was out of internet range. :-)

#64 Mon, 05/24/2010 - 7:45am

I guess I was wrong. I didn't think that it could be done, but in just three months, a local builder came up with a new design six man canoe that just blew the doors off of everything else in the water. After more than thirty years of trying to build a faster six man canoe, it took just three months to arrive at the design of the future. Amazing, just amazing.

#65 Sun, 05/23/2010 - 7:43pm

Right on Tommy. I think today was an historic day in outrigger canoe racing and design.

#66 Sun, 05/23/2010 - 7:47pm

ditto on what jc9_0 said. It was really the most fun I've had crossing the channel in an OC6.
It's worth repeating that Keizo is the MAN! Kapa'a did things that I had not seen or felt an OC6 do. I am humbled, honored and amazed.
A huge Mahalo to Manny and Pa'a for organizing the race and making it a great event.

#67 Sun, 05/23/2010 - 9:53pm

Yeah TC, I guess today changed a lot for a lot of people huh? I think it's now very clear that restrictions on canoes does hamper innovation.

#68 Sun, 05/23/2010 - 10:14pm

It is an interesting race result:

Race pace of the first finisher lightweight was about 8 miles/hour downwind.
Race pace for change races 400 lbs is about 9 miles/hour downwind.
Race pace OC 1 relay is about 9 miles/hour downwind.
Race pace surfski is almost 10 miles/hour downwind.

Lightweight OC 6 are slower than OC 1 over this distance downwind.

How did Paul Gay's 'lightweight' do ?

#69 Sun, 05/23/2010 - 10:58pm

a lot of assumptions need to be made to come to your conclusion eckhart. but you may be right.

it's very hard to quantify the amount of fun you have per mile. today set a new standard for me though. kinda like spinal tap... my dial went to 11 instead of just 10.

#70 Sun, 05/23/2010 - 11:30pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.313 seconds.