Rig Settings -- Hurricane OC1

I'm just getting to the point in my solo paddling when this is a question:

For a paddler with good balance on a Hurricane OC1, which is faster?
1. Setting ama and iakos at 3 all around to make it easier to fly the ama while paddling (hull on an even keel w/ ama flying)
2. Setting ama and iakos at 1's or 2's for a narrower, lighter, faster rig all the way around (though hull would be "past even" with the ama up, making it tough to fly it while paddling)

Thoughts?

Mahalos,

Nate
Washington, DC

Submitted by Nathan Day on Thu, 04/08/2010 - 3:57am

What water conditions? (flat, surfing downwind, upwind swell, cross wind chop, etc)
How much do you weigh?

#1 Thu, 04/08/2010 - 7:43am

http://rambos-locker.blogspot.com/2007/07/hurricane-setting.html
This is posted on Rambos Locker

#2 Thu, 04/08/2010 - 8:05am

Malachi, thanks for the clarifications --

Me:
I weigh about 175 pounds.

Water conditions:
Well, it's usually 4-6' bumps, down-wind and down-swell in both directions... wait, I'm dreaming. On the Potomac, we call two feet of wind chop a big surfing day. A solo paddler skilled in these (flat) conditions could fly the 'ama pretty continuously on most days when paddling on the right... hence my question about rig speeds: when stability isn't an issue, which is faster -- the lightest rig, or one that makes flying the 'ama while paddling manageable?

cheers,
Nate
(PS: Thanks, kicbac, for the pointer to Rambo -- he's talking about much bigger water than we unfortunately get to see around the nation's capital)

#3 Sun, 04/11/2010 - 2:38pm

Can't resist: if you want to fly the ama continuously - as we all do - why not paddle a surfski right away ?
The advantage is: no ama. If you paddle in mostly flat waters and want speed, surfski really is the answer.
Generally, if you want speed, the surfski is faster. It is not difficult to learn, contrary to what people may think.

This is not to say that it is not fun to surf an OC 1 flying the ama, it's a lot of fun. Especially if you have a good balance like on a surfski.

Flying the ama makes a huge speed difference on the Pueo. I do not remember it making that much of a difference on the Hurricane.
I feel that the Pueo hull makes balancing with the ama in the air quiet easy, while the Hurricane is slightly 'box shaped' and likes to stay the way it is.
Outrigger models such as Fusion, Zephyr and likely Osprey are shaped to fly the ama - you can hold the ama at any height with fine nuances.
Hurricane ama, in comparison, is either up or down.
Don't know about other models.

#4 Sun, 04/11/2010 - 3:27pm

"I feel that the Pueo hull makes balancing with the ama in the air quite easy, while the Hurricane is slightly ‘box shaped’ and likes to stay the way it is." Right: this makes it possible to rig the Hurricane to be "super-stable" such that the hull cants to the left while paddling left, and isn't on an even keel until you bring the 'ama up in the air while paddling on the right.

And that's my question -- in flat conditions would that be faster, overall? Or would it be faster just to run with a narrow, light rig in the first place?

aloha,
Nate

About the other thing: Washington CC canoe racers have a saying about the kayakers on the other end of our boathouse: "Twice the paddle, half the man."

#5 Mon, 04/12/2010 - 11:40am

Nathan, you set any OC1 initially to learn how to paddle correctly, so it should be rigged stable. As your paddling improves, challenge yourself and improve your stability and speed by gradually rigging lighter. You are better off stable and able to apply full power and correct technique, than unbalanced and rushing to take strokes to stay upright on the canoe.

Stability should become second nature after a while, then all your thoughts and energy's can be directed to racing.

R

#6 Mon, 04/12/2010 - 1:49pm

Don't rig it leaning to the left - that may be too far.

You could take a water scale(?), sit on the canoe and check if you are level while you are on the boat. That might be a good starting point.

Initially you will lean to the left; but longterm you will do that less and less.

As Rambo said, you will then fine tune for race performance - getting the ama floating higher and making it easier to lift.

The fastest way to get the ama out of the water is by cross training on a surfski. I have used a surfski for a few months now and my OC 1 paddling has changed into an entirely different experience.

More fun, faster with less effort, better surfing.

#7 Tue, 04/13/2010 - 10:56am

A water scale is called a level.

#8 Tue, 04/13/2010 - 12:41pm

A level to keep it level. Thanks, all square.

#9 Tue, 04/13/2010 - 1:45pm

Eckhart: I'm assuming you're paddling your surfski with a double bend outrigger paddle instead of a double bladed wing? If not, go try. Also, please remove the footstraps too from your surfski and see how it goes. This way, you'll really develop your proprioceptors, especially in the rough.

#10 Wed, 04/14/2010 - 12:25am

I haven't tried to paddle it with an outrigger paddle, that might be a wet experience. I like the wing effect so much ...

The foot strap thing is a good idea. I intend to move to a super narrow hull soon - that will keep the poprioreceptors firing for a while, maybe extra foot straps may be a better choice at this point.

I try to practice surfski with closed eyes, flat to mildly agitated water - that seems to help

#11 Wed, 04/14/2010 - 3:05pm

Wing effect? Well Eckhart, you're actually substituting the double blade for the ama. You're probably using a midwing? Go try a narrow kids wing and see how your proprioceptors react? Better yet, go pad the cockpit so you sit 2 to even 4 inches higher in the surfski. Gurantee your Oc-1 will feel super stable after doing all of these things in your surfski?

Nathan: If you're pretty much experience, then try the tippiest setting? If it is too tippy, you can always re-adjust the settings a little bit at a time till it is just right for you in all weather conditions.

#12 Thu, 04/15/2010 - 1:11am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.264 seconds.