Shell Vaa

No question Shell Vaa paddled one hell of a race. Impressive is putting it mildly. Congratulations to the Tahitians and all paddlers who competed.
We will never know for certain what might have been, but how was Primo doing and feeling when one of their paddlers
was injured?

Submitted by MikeA on Mon, 10/11/2010 - 3:09pm

Part of the problem is the old elite paddlers is still in charge of setting the crews and see themselves and their old buddies as the best hawaii has to offer. So until control is taken away from them the young up and comming paddlers will never get the chance to prove themselves. What happens is these guys will grab one or two young paddlers to help them move faster, but keep saying the young guys don't have the experience even though the young guys are doing more molo solo's then the old guys. What the hva is doing is great and they should be gettting more support from these older paddlers. I think they are afraid of seeing the young guys do a better job at competting with tahiti. Time to pass the torch and get out of the way. make room for the next generation.

#71 Mon, 10/18/2010 - 2:21pm

I believe the oldest Shell racer is 28, going as young as 19. Definitely a young crew. And in incredible shape.

#72 Mon, 10/18/2010 - 2:41pm

Do you really think there is resistance towards the younger paddlers in Hawaii, or are the younger guys simply not up to the task? I've known John Foti all my life, and even when he won his first channel like 15 years ago he wanted to "pass the torch". Unfortunately, there hasn't been anyone to pass it to. I think the old dawgs would be stoked to have someone fill their shoes. Do you really think guys like Kai or whoever chooses Team Primo pick old guys out of prejudice? No, it is because this is the best they can come up w/ under the circumstances.

#73 Mon, 10/18/2010 - 2:59pm

@ jim, that is jus one person and there wasn't anybody in his club maybe but lot of guys besides that but they won't go motivate other kids from other clubs to paddle with them to learn and grow. Primo is hand selected group of guys not really a club. I've been around many clubs and its not prejudice and the young guys are up to the task but clubs and coaches will go with wats more familiar. First races of this year regatta had no name guys racing and winning while the older all stars arnt out yet then come end of season states by now the all star guys is out and they r racing in those other guys seats the others don't get their shot the even tho they were winning. The role model paddlers need to go and motivate the youth and push them to be where they r at. I don't see much veterans doing that they are either selective or won't help others from other clubs.

#74 Mon, 10/18/2010 - 6:51pm

Shell Va'a team for the 2010 Molokai Hoe was actually a pretty good combination of experienced and younger paddlers. Bruno Tauhiro, Lucien Tara, David Tepava, Moana Mairau and Roland Teahui have been paddling with Shell for at least 5 years, and they're all late 20's- early 30's with the exception of Roland Teahui, who's already early 40's, and is still a top 10-20 V1 paddler in Tahiti. The other team members are the current 'cream of the crop' Tahitian V1 paddlers: Taaroa Dubois, Yoann Cronsteadt, Clovis Trope and Roland Tere.

For the last 5 years, every time the Tahitians win the Molokai Hoe, I read very similar topics/comments posted on this website. It's not "rocket science": the bigger is the number of practicants, the higher will be the level of the top athletes, whether you're looking at football (soccer) in Brazil, swimming in Australia or gymnastics in Russia, just to name a few. In Tahiti, 5 year old kids are already paddling ruderless canoes which develops a whole different feeling on the water.

In my opinion, there are also a lot of intangible factors to be analysed in this sport. Va'a is much deeper than just a sport to all Polynesians, but the level of missionaire's influence was different in each island. In French Polynesia, it's their national sport and they all have a very deep spiritual connection with the natural elements. Throughout my trips, I was personally impressed to see how friendly are some of the top Tahitian paddlers, but at the same time how arrogant and egomaniac are some paddlers in different parts of the Globe that don't even know what is the true cultural background of this sport, and paddle only to compete when is the off-season of another sport.

No matter how fit or technical is the skill set of a team, unless they share a good 'mana', they will keep loosing to those six paddlers who paddle as one and in harmony with nature.

Aloha

#75 Mon, 10/18/2010 - 7:11pm

"No matter how fit or technical is the skill set of a team, unless they share a good 'mana', they will keep loosing to those six paddlers who paddle as one and in harmony with nature."

absolutely true!

#76 Mon, 10/18/2010 - 8:24pm

I think an appropriate analogy when comparing the Tahitians vs Hawaiians (and the rest of the paddling world) is to look at what Brazil is to soccer. The U.S. simply does not have the dedication to the sport and desire to win like the country of Brazil.
The same goes for paddling...the Tahitians grow up surrounded and immersed in V-6 and V-1 racing. I have been to Tahiti in the past and the star paddlers are idolized by the youth. Here in Hawaii, we are surrounded by NFL, NBA, MLB, etc and paddling is considered a recreation (by the masses).
Shell Vaa just won 5 Molokai Hoe races in a row and set numerous course records along the way. They are what the "Chicago Bulls" of the late 90's were to basketball. Talent, hard work, and desire got them to where they are...
Having said this, I think Hawaii can still legitimately compete. Unfortunately, the traditional "club" program may suffer because of this desire to get better. Recent history supports this statement. Over the last four Molokai races the 1st Hawaii finisher has been a "team". NZ/HI in '07, Lanikai in '08, Team Primo '09 and '10. But wait, Lanikai got 3rd in '08...yes, but the crew was developed with the idea of bringing in talent to challenge the Tahitians (Karel, Kai, and Dolan did not race with Lanikai in '07).
Why is this happening? Tahiti has raised the bar so high that Team Primo and teams like Kamanu (Pa'a E'ono winners) are going to continue to flourish in the future in order to legitimately compete. OCC, Hui Lanakila, and Kailua have great talent...but is it enough to win in the next few years?

#77 Mon, 10/18/2010 - 8:28pm

Again my thoughts are that if the paddlers that can move to 40's or masters crews don't then they hold back the younger paddlers from getting a shot at the open seats. The clubs or sponsers put money into helping some of the crews cover expenses. As I said before the lead paddlers in the crew chooses their friends so their friends get the free ride covered by the moneys from the club or sponsers. How can the sport proggress if the younger paddlers get discouraged and stop competing for a seat. They got it right in tahiti. keep bringing up the cream of the crop and next year there will be new cream of the crop paddlers to move up.

#78 Mon, 10/18/2010 - 8:50pm

I also agree with akeo...the older guys need to move up into masters where appropriate...however, the younger guys must earn it as well. If a 40 year old if still beating a 25 year old, he/she deserves the seat. If they are similar in talent and conditioning, let the younger guy race...look toward the future.

#79 Mon, 10/18/2010 - 8:59pm

when was the last time brazil won a world cup? anyways, the opt team are much younger, i think the oldest would be patete ropaina? most of team opt are juniors,mainly opt b.

#80 Mon, 10/18/2010 - 9:03pm

Last World Cup Brazil won was 2002.

In both 2006 and 2010 the main problem was lack of Taho'e (Unity) and hunger...Too many egos, millionaires, etc. Next World Cup on 2014 will actually be held in Brazil, hence they better be ready to win otherwise some 'Brazilian Nuts' will put a bomb on their bus...hehe.. Imagine what would happen if Tahitians would lose the Hawaiki Nui Va'a to a foreigner team...

OPT A is not that young: Georges Cronsteadt, Heiarii Teakura, Tainui Vairaaroa and Eric Deane (steersman) are all late 20s-early 30s. OPT B has younger guys, just like the new no.1 in Tahiti - Steve Teihotaata, who is the current Super Aito Champion. Patete Roopinia, who is an ex- Shell Va'a paddler, was paddling last year for a Raiatea team. I don't know if he was hired by OPT for the 2010 season.

#81 Mon, 10/18/2010 - 10:18pm

Perhaps there is a dvd for sale that shows the entire race (start to finish) of only Shell Vaa? If such a dvd exists, I wouldn't mind buying a copy. It sure would be a pleasure to only watch these paddlers race. From what I can observe, their canoe never slows down. It continues to move, even during the changes. Surely, by studying the film (like football coaches do of their opponents), we will learn quite a bit?

#82 Mon, 10/18/2010 - 10:31pm

studying a film of a great crew, sound technique, and efficient stroke will only do so much. yes nine guys can have all of that but as stated earlier, if those nine don't work together, and put in the work as a crew then the canoe will not move like shells does. the Tahitians work hard not only as individuals but as a crew. they all have great techniques from paddling rudderless so that is not the big concern. yes it may take some tweaking when they enter a six man but since their techniques are smooth so all they really need to do is blend. they put in hours a day doing this as well as more hours on top of that as individual conditioning workouts.

as for the youth, there are many great talented young paddlers in Hawaii. on Oahu the past few years high school programs have put up some great times. school such as Nanakuli, Kalaheo, Anuenue, and Radford in the OIA and many ILH and outer island schools give off talented young paddlers. other programs like HCKT, HVA and many canoe clubs also have talented athletes. i think that when a club finds a talented young paddler, coaches are not willing to let them go and become great paddlers. for those who start with a club when they are in elementary and middle school, they find it hard to leave especially when their coaches give them a hard time.

club owners and coaches need to encourage those young paddlers ages 18, 19, 20 to go out and learn. there is only so much one can learn having the same coaches for 5-10 years. those youth also need to be motivated to learn the sport of paddling. but i feel it starts with the veterans, encourage the youth to go out and learn, and compete, and all in all, encourage them to become a better paddler then their kapuna. that will give the youth a goal to press for. whether they do or do not become a better paddler then their coach, the work they put in will still make them a good paddler.

once hawaii can find a set of youth who are lead by the seasoned and experienced paddlers. hawaii can begin to climb the rankings more and more.

#83 Tue, 10/19/2010 - 12:42pm

I don't know if growing the spot and bring more people into paddling will make Hawaiian teams faster. It has not worked for triathlons. Triathlons have gotten much more popular the past 10 years and races here in So Cal regularly sell out. There are so many more triathletes now then be for. The thing is times from 22 years ago would still be competitive today and times from 15-18 years ago were faster. Not just for the pros but even more so for the age groups. When you take into account that bikes, wetsuits and nutrition are much better now then before I really feel the talent has gone down not up. It is also the same way for 5K and 10K races here. There are a few runners that are faster then before but you could almost count them all on 1 hand. For the most part 5k and 10k times for the elite are about the same. For the age groups they are also slower then before even though races have more people. I think looking at how the Tahitians train would be better.

#84 Thu, 10/21/2010 - 8:51am

So, to recap, our excuses for Hawaii getting crushed again this year are:
- our paddlers are way too old.
- we don't train in 'rudderless canoes'.
-the population of paddlers is insufficient.
-we're lacking in funds.
-we're technically inept.

Does that sum it up?

#85 Thu, 10/21/2010 - 7:10pm

moloka'i times from around 22 years ago would not have won the 2010 race. here are the winning times. granted equipment has improved some but the canoes have at least stayed within HCRA specs. my guess is the athletes in paddling are much improved.
1983: Outrigger Canoe Club, Oahu, 5:45.09
1982: Offshore Canoe Club, Calif., 6:08.35
1981: Offshore Canoe Club, Calif., 5:25.01

this year
2010: Shell Va'a 4:38:50

winners from those three years would have finished between 27th and 52nd in this year's race.

@grasshopper, watch the first 20 seconds of this vid and you'll see a reason, not an excuse.

#86 Thu, 10/21/2010 - 10:41pm

Variables like conditions will obviously effect times. One thing good about using sanctioned canoes ...we always have a yard stick. The main variable in play are the participants. Shell should get that perpetual trophe that is sitting somewhere under wraps...they deserve it. This is not an Hawaiian club thing anymore and has not been for the last decade when looking at the race as a whole. Club versus club still works but that is a race within a race...final results are what count as far as international standing. Tahitians will likely dominate due to their training and they train as a crew throughout the year.
Not the canoe...they are all the same. Oh...how about the paddles they use ? Auwe...they are on steroids..the buggahs ! they so young ! they use more then 9 guys !... No.. they are just the hardest working paddlers out there.
Maybe better mana ? nah. Hawaiian crews in their home waters will always have that advantage.

#87 Thu, 10/21/2010 - 10:03pm

#88 Fri, 10/22/2010 - 7:18am

.... Or whatevers in that trick hydration system @ 1:03

We have one of those heavy Scupper Pro kayaks ... My 5 year old sitsin the back and can steer a mean course across the breeze with a cross quartering swell for us using his mini SUP paddle. The future generation is on it.

aloha,
pog

#89 Fri, 10/22/2010 - 9:07am

Nice video, mc9er.

#90 Fri, 10/22/2010 - 9:47am

#91 Sat, 10/23/2010 - 5:45am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.216 seconds.