2 Questions about the Hurricane

Aloha, bought a slightly used Hurricane 3 years back, it was in amazing condition. However my left leg goes to sleep when I paddle it. Coach tells me its a balance issue. Other guys tell me to get an after market seat.

My second question is that when I catch bumps or try to surf it, As soon as Im on the wave the nose buries under the water and the boat drags. Paddlers have told me that the it could be the boat, or maybe Im too big for a Hurricane. Im 6'2 and 195 lbs.

I recently took out a buddies Hurricane, (the exact same model!) and not only did my left leg NOT fall asleep, but I caught a ridiculous amount of bumps on it, and the nose stayed up when I was surfing it. And all this time I just thought I was a terrible paddler!! Is it time for a new boat, or is it just me???

Submitted by tako808 on Tue, 10/25/2011 - 12:57pm

The seat is a good idea. I had Hurricane and got a seat from Kai that was great. I also got a surfing rudder from Huki that helped. and you could adjust your ama. it could help. they say 190 the high end but what ever floats your boat. you could get into a bigger canoe and pack more weight but have better balance and be able to give more pull. and every different maker has different styles and you could be more comfortable in one more than the others. all the top canoes are so close there's not that much difference. I would say comfort is important.
have a good day

#1 Tue, 10/25/2011 - 9:44pm

A friend of mine just got a used, well-loved Hurricane. It came with both the original seat and a replacement ( made by Huki I think, but not sure). Just sitting on the 2 seats was a huge difference.

I never knew a good seat could make such a huge difference.

#2 Thu, 10/27/2011 - 6:41am

Thanks. Borrowed a buddies aftermarket seat and it made a huge difference on my boat. I love my Hurricane so Im gonna get a new seat for it and see how that goes. Maybe I wont scrap my boat just yet!

#3 Fri, 12/09/2011 - 1:34pm

anyone know the secret to getting water out of a hurricane? Forgot to close my vent cover and went out for over an hour. the run was nice and bumpy- now there is all kinds of water sloshing around inside the body- tried lots of shaking and rolling, all different angles and got 1/2 cup or so out...afraid there is that much or more still inside. suggestions?

#4 Fri, 12/09/2011 - 7:55pm

paddly- seal the vent and drill a regular plug hole in the back. It is the only way to really drain all the water out of your Hurricane. Even when you have the vent turned the correct way, there is no guarantee you will not get water in your boat. I loved my hurricane but i was always having to drain water out that small hole in the back, once I sealed it shut with a waterproof silicon and drilled a real plug hole it was all good, I never got water in my boat again.

#5 Sun, 12/11/2011 - 6:03am

on the hurricane . is there any difference with the new huurrican vs the old other than the seat change. I haven't seen the new model.

thxs

#6 Sun, 12/18/2011 - 1:08am

Only change I notice is the rudder was moved about 6 inches forward and it doesn't have a removable plastic cover over the rudder tiller anymore.

#7 Sun, 12/18/2011 - 1:39am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.294 seconds.