Garmin watch Mount

Does anyone have a picture of how they mount their Garmin watch to their canoe? Anyone fabricate something that I can copy?
I'd like to place it in front of me so I don't have to look at my arm to see speeds etc....

Submitted by hank1 on Mon, 06/06/2011 - 1:07pm

Duct tape is simple and cheap

#1 Mon, 06/06/2011 - 1:19pm

Previous discussions.

http://www.ocpaddler.com/node/5390

http://www.ocpaddler.com/node/3420

#2 Mon, 06/06/2011 - 1:46pm

I searched and didn't find those links, thanks E7M.

#3 Mon, 06/06/2011 - 2:04pm

I found on eBay a "handle bar mount and watch band" set that Garmin makes for the 305. I don't know how much they normally go for but there around $10-15 on eBay. You can mount the handle bar mount to your front iako, which comes with two sets of zip ties and neoprene padded backings. A simple clip that allows the gps unit to come off and easily connect to the wrist strap. Good luck with it.

#5 Mon, 06/06/2011 - 4:38pm

I'll post some pictures later, I made a simple foam and velcro mount for the garmin 300, and 400 series, but the easiest way is to mount it to your front iako with rubber reinforcements.

#7 Tue, 06/07/2011 - 10:28am

Use velcro attached to the area in front of the seat and back of the foot pedals and betwen the cavity where your footwells are. That lip that separates the right and left footwell is ideal to velcro the anchor unit to. Sandwich the watch's band between the anchor unit and the velcro fastener piece. Great location because the watch is centered on the boat and you can easily get to the watch. In addition, it is very economically priced and holds well. I've gone under a few (many) times and the watch is still there and easy to remove when back on land.

#8 Tue, 06/07/2011 - 2:12pm

I glued the soft side of velcro to the inside of the wristband of my Garmin 305 and glued the velcro grab part on the seat between my legs. That's where it lives for racing. That's the time when I don't want to fixate on data too much but pay attention to the ocean, currents, competitors, the occasional kelp, wind and drafting pretty girls :) Once in a while I check on my current and average speed. For technique and speed work I simply rubberband it to the front iako. Easier on the eye and posture but harder to read with all the droplets of water from changing sides bouncing of the screen. If you want to go upscale duct tape some foam to the iako first so your Garmin "wristband" fits around it. Then use the rubber band which you carry for emergency anyways to wrap around everything because you can't trust the buckle. NEVER trust a buckle!

#9 Tue, 06/07/2011 - 6:35pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.477 seconds.