Why are xylos so under rated?

why are xylos so underrated? they are pretty good! they accually are the most expensive paddles out there i think, they retail for 315$ when other paddles are in the 200s and even a makana ali'i isnt that much when you buy it from les him self, after a 6 month wait.
xylos are expensive but, they are infact good! i love my xylo! i hate to see that they are under rated, Come on guys! give xylos a chance!

AttachmentSize
100_1112.JPG1.3 MB

Submitted by DerrickLiu on Mon, 08/29/2011 - 6:17pm

in my opinion, best paddles out there are makana ali'i, xylo, mana blade, then whatever else

#1 Mon, 08/29/2011 - 6:19pm

Derrick before i started making paddles i used a xylo.. its a good paddle . its the price that hurts. an also shaft is to big for my likeing, thanks for putting my blade as one of the top out there. mahalos.

#2 Mon, 08/29/2011 - 7:09pm

vijion, what kind of paddles do you make?

#3 Mon, 08/29/2011 - 7:59pm

wow, kinda dumb, i didnt look at your picture, haha, MANA BLADES! i still would like to see what "the beast" looks like.

so does that mean, your the maker of mana blades?

#4 Mon, 08/29/2011 - 8:05pm

maybe they're under rated because they cost almost twice as much as all other paddles?

#5 Mon, 08/29/2011 - 8:53pm

Marty has been making and exporting Xylo paddles for over 20years and they are highly regarded by a lot of the top crews, definably not underrated. It's understandable that people buy local made and support their own countries manufacturers, that's only natural. Marty has his ideas on what makes a great paddle based on feedback, experience and that's what makes them unique, just like Makana Ali'i and all the other awesome manufacturers that make with passion and purpose.

Marty also gives back heaps to the paddling community, always has. People like that.

I still have Xylos from 20 years ago (except the ones lost at sea and given away to juniors etc) and every other paddle i've ever bought/acquired. Kinda get attached to them.

#6 Mon, 08/29/2011 - 10:40pm

Makana Ali'i(period)

#7 Mon, 08/29/2011 - 11:35pm

yeah derrick i make those manablades. heres an old pic of the beast. its a 10 1/4 thats with the old edges and old logo we got a new logo and a different type of edge not the epoxy that i used to use . much more durable and not brittle...

@ indar. yep makana alii is the bomb. comig from a paddle maker like me. alot of people dont know that my blades are made the same way as makana alii . in learned so much from les look , he thought me so much
spent hours ands hours watching him and learning. he a awesome guy.

#8 Tue, 08/30/2011 - 6:26am

I have to agree w/ others I love my Mana Blade. the new generation Mana Blades are awesome.

Solid design/build & light-weight yet stable solid & clean entry. I have 2 mana blades a 51 double bend and a new 50.

Best paddle I have owned. I 1st tried to get a Makana, but now that I am paddling with a Mana blade I am more than satisfied.

Danny still handcrafts each one as they have always been made.

Getting a Mana Blade is not as long a wait as is for the coveted Makana AliĆ­
contact Brad Gaines @ www.paddleme.com.

one thing...new logo not as cool..just my opinion. new edges Awesome design change.

#9 Tue, 08/30/2011 - 9:05am

I agree xylo blades are underrated. The only down fall for the xylo is the t top which is too square and does not conform well to the palm for both the regular paddles and, most importantly, the steering blades.

I also agree that Makana Ali`i paddles are totally sweet and badass, but you cannot leave out Broadreach. Top quality craftsmanship made by a paddler, a very good paddler, steersmen, and canoe sailor for that matter. If only he could beat me in a one-man, that would top it off.

In all seriousness, aside from Broadreach's excellent craftsmanship and ability, these paddles are well designed and perform at the highest level.

#10 Tue, 08/30/2011 - 12:52pm

I walked in on Indar making love and rubbing lotion to Gavins Makana Ali'i on Molokai. Gavin saw it also and subsequently tapped Indar out. Don't leave Indar alone with your blade (period)

#11 Tue, 08/30/2011 - 1:51pm

xylos have a "D" grip, dont "D" grips best fit your palm?

also which mana blade is the lighest? which mana blade do you guys think is best?

i think im into collecting paddles? 2nd season and already have a makana ali'i, xylo, a kialoa, i always wanted a mana blade after seeing the xround though.

#12 Tue, 08/30/2011 - 8:42pm

@ DERRICK Xround is my favorite. i mean all my blades are great . its a personal prefrance .if your an animal then the beast is a sick blade i use that just to do sprint training haha.. weight wise the new blades has been coming out between 15 and 18 ounces, we are trying a new wood for the shaft that is lighter than what we use now and is lighter .. so we can maintain 15 to 16 ounces or less we will see.

#13 Wed, 08/31/2011 - 2:24am

Xylo paddles are amazing. The craftsmanship is unbelievable and I personally love the shape of the T top. They are expensive, but well worth it. Maata is very responsive to email and the turnaround time is much shorter than some other makers. Can't say enough good things about them. My paddle of choice.

#14 Thu, 09/01/2011 - 10:27am

Xylo blades come with a serial number, so if you ever lost yours, please let me know what it is and I'll compare it to the one we bought from Goodwill for $60.00 USD.

#15 Thu, 09/01/2011 - 11:53am

i love xylos, but i dont understand why they have such a small blade?

#16 Thu, 09/01/2011 - 8:50pm

Xylo is a big supporter of Pacific Paddler and an advertiser that helps us provide the paddling community with it's own free magazines. Great blades, big hearts. Mahalo Maata and Marty and also Kialoa, Mudbrook, Gillespie and Kialoa for your advertising support.
Ropati

#17 Fri, 09/02/2011 - 7:13am

Indar, you said it all. :)

#18 Fri, 09/02/2011 - 7:29am

Derrick,
You mean 9.25 inches is too narrow width? Or 18" blade length too short?

#19 Fri, 09/02/2011 - 10:34am

Derrick, they make larger blades (the P3 & P4 are up to 19" x 9.75") or Marty will make you one in any shape/size you want. Very helpful & cooperative paddle makers. Cheers.

#20 Fri, 09/02/2011 - 11:57am

yeah i mean its too short, oh they have blades that go to 19inches?

#21 Fri, 09/02/2011 - 5:28pm

Derrick...........
http://www.xylobladz.com/

#22 Fri, 09/02/2011 - 8:15pm

Interesting conversation. I used to be a Gillespie girl for years, I even steered with the angle blade because it was great, my Dad too. Today I have a Xylo for 6 man paddling - so light - I love it. I've had it for qquite a while - refinished it 2 times so far. I have a shorter carbon Makana Ali'i for one man. I don't let anyone borrow it. It is like GOLD. I steer with a Kialoa Foti - swear by it. Xylo's steering blade looks close to a Foti made in wood - very nice. I still have a Gillespie spare blade I use as a steering blade as well as an older paddler made by Maui Kjeldsen that was intended as a paddling blase but it is great for steering. It is good to be well rounded and open minded. I am interested in trying steering blade from Les.

#23 Sat, 09/03/2011 - 5:22pm

ah, gotta admit though, xylos shaft is kinda fat. im totally fine with it, but wouldnt it be lighter if it was skinner? or is that just to keep it strong? ive never heard of a xylo snapping.

#24 Sat, 09/03/2011 - 6:08pm

Derrick, just answered your own question :-)

#25 Sat, 09/03/2011 - 7:41pm

I actually got my xylo because the fat shaft felt much more like my first paddle* than anything else I could lay my hands on on the East Coast (of the US).

*an all-wood Makana Ali'i, now 11 years old, that I bought from the Looks out of the back of their pickup truck with a check made out to "cash" -- man, I miss the Islands.

So some of us like the fat shaft.

, all right, fine... "that's what she said" Are you happy now?

Nate
Washington Canoe Club (DC) -- home of the 1st place Koa Division women's team in this year's Queen Lili iron race -- can't help but crow a little -- so proud of our crew!

#26 Mon, 09/05/2011 - 4:17pm

I love my xylo blade! Love the flex and the fact that the shaft and head have a smooth transition.

#27 Tue, 09/06/2011 - 12:36pm

8#====)

#28 Tue, 09/06/2011 - 4:24pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.192 seconds.