Sandpaper grits/quick and dirty surface repairs

It's been a bad week for my 12 year-old Hurricane OC1 -- scuffed the side of the 'ama on a concrete bridge abutment during a race, and then hit a rock with the tip of the rudder. Some time- and cost-effective repairs are in order, and what I'm hoping for is advice and feedback for the following plans:

1. For the 'ama: Scrape is at and above the waterline, and does not penetrate the paint. My plan is to sand down the gelcoat (?) until the surface is smooth, then cover the scrape with ___________________. I could use some help filling in the blank with something inexpensive and readily available (the two things that have come to mind so far are clear nail polish and a big decal from a local microbrewery). Also -- what grit sandpaper to use?
  2. For the rudder: Leading edge of tip is blunted and a piece of the gelcoat (?) has broken off, leaving the carbon fiber exposed. What grit of sandpaper (or what kind of file) should I use to "re-sharpen" the leading edge, and what substance should I paint on to re-cover the carbon fiber?

This is an old boat, and I am interested in repairs that are cheap, fast, and floatationally and hydrodynamically effective. Let me head off the "Get on the waiting list for a Pueo/Storm" replies by pointing out that that meets neither of the first two criteria.

Thanks,
Nate

Submitted by Nathan Day on Sun, 04/29/2012 - 3:22pm

Aloha e Nathan,

You mentioned that its gelcoat. This video may help, seems very similar to what you're doing.

Good luck and keep us posted. Or take a video ;-)

#1 Mon, 04/30/2012 - 6:23am

1. Since it's just a scrape and didn't pentrate the gelcoat, I'd lightly wet sand the gelcoat on the ama with some 320 followed by 400, 600, 800 and maybe even higher (up to 1500 if you can find it) until everything is smooth. Be careful not too take too much off. Then just polish it smooth with some polishing compound either by hand or with a buffer/polisher. No need to paint over it.
  2. As for the rudder, sand with 150 up 220 grit. Then get some clear 30 minute epoxy and paint it over the tip that's exposed. After the epoxy is cured overnight (for better results) sand any rough edges or bumps with 320 grit.

#2 Mon, 04/30/2012 - 12:13pm

Sorry, cannot pull out as a link ...

go to: http://www.surfskiracing.com/

click on archives

scroll down to contributors and click on Patrick ...

This is real world info ...

Anyone reading this ... PLEASE don't follow that hack job video above.

E7M ... For small repairs with thin coatings start with 320 or 400, get it flat / faired in, then jump right to final grit of 1500 or 2000. Even Ace has it now. Big areas, put 600 in there just to speed things up but stick with above jump to final around edges.

aloha,
pog

#3 Mon, 04/30/2012 - 1:16pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.178 seconds.