Kialoa - mirror pond double bend steering blade

I was wondering if anyone has used the mirror pond steering blade yet... I've used makana alii's double bend steering blade & I love it. Interested in trying out this steering blade from kialoa.

Submitted by Ulu_micah on Sun, 03/17/2013 - 10:06pm

I, too, am interested to see what paddles the steersmen and women here like to use on flat/flat-ish water, and if anyone likes the new Mirror Pond blade. Both Xylo's and Mudbrook's are solid, excellent paddles, but I'd prefer to have to swing less lumber during an iron race on the flats. What strong, light steering blades are out there? Kai Ko'o? Pure? Kialoa Mirror Pond? Gillespie S/2Steer? C4 Waterman? Thanks, --Nate

#1 Mon, 03/18/2013 - 8:37am

If it is really flat water, don't use a steering blade, use the same paddle you would chose if you were on seat 1-5.

#2 Mon, 03/18/2013 - 8:47am

I've been using the mirror pond double bend since October and swear by it. If I go to any other steering blade it feels like a piece of lumber. But, a couple of caveats:

1) If you're poking more than you're paddling, it's probably not the best paddle (i.e. rough water).

2) If your entire team isn't using double bends, then it's not necessary for the steersman to have. In my mind, the purpose of the double bend is simply to relax the angle of your bottom hand at the moment of entry. If your team has (or is working towards) a stroke with explosive power at the front, then a double bend is incredibly useful. However, if you enter soft and accelerate through the stroke (traditional Hawaiian stroke), then I don't think the double bend is beneficial.

*edited for grammar.

#3 Mon, 03/18/2013 - 12:18pm

Thanks Luke! One more question would you use it in regattas? I know the site says it wasn't designed for regattas but how do you feel turning with the mirror pond?

#4 Mon, 03/18/2013 - 11:39am

Yes, for sure. Mine seems beefy enough to yank a turn. Not sure if they're afraid of them snapping on the turns or if they don't feel like the blade face is big enough for a turn. But, I don't think it's worth it paddling up and back with a huge blade just for the turn.

However, I've been recommending some of my novice paddlers to get the Biscuit instead. Just because it's going to be more versatile and probably more user friendly. I think the Mirror Pond is good to own as part of a quiver of steering blades. While it has been my go-to blade for the last four months (I haven't even touched my Foti) I would feel uncomfortable not owning a larger blade.

#5 Mon, 03/18/2013 - 12:17pm

Luke, excellent review.

I recently had one of my long time steering customers test paddle the MirrorPond and she echoes your comments made above.

Open Ocean Outriggers
Vancouver, BC
www.kialoa.ca
www.facebook.com/openoceanoutriggers

#6 Mon, 03/18/2013 - 12:36pm

Right on, thanks!

#7 Mon, 03/18/2013 - 2:59pm

Luke, is the Mirror Pond steering blade just the paddling blade with strips, or is it a little bigger? What is the size diff vs. Biscuit? (couldn't find specs on their website, just pictures...)

#8 Tue, 03/19/2013 - 12:15pm

Need to click on the Product Specs Tab to view the specifications.

Foti Hybrid Steering Paddle Product Specifications:
5-degree bend shaft
Surface Area: 145 sq in
Blade Width: 9 5/8"
Blade Length: 20 7/8"
Blade Material: Carbon skin with wood core
Shaft Material: laminated wood
Shaft Shape: ellipticial
Grip: wood Ergo-T
Weight: 25-26 oz.
Made in USA

Biscuit Steering Paddle Product Specifications:
5 degree bend
Surface area: 142 inĀ²
Blade width: 9.25"
Blade length: 20"
Blade Material: Carbon skin with a wood core
Shaft: Laminated wood
Shaft Shape: elliptical
Weight 24-25 oz
Made in USA

Mirror Pond Steering Paddle Product Specifications:
7-degree bend shaft
Surface Area: 128 sq in
Blade Length: 18 1/2"
Weight: 20-23 oz.
Made in USA

Mirror Pond Double Bend Product Specifications:
7-degree double bend shaft
Surface Area: 128 sq in
Blade Length: 18 1/2"
Weight: 20-23 oz.
Made in USA

#9 Tue, 03/19/2013 - 12:33pm

In response to Nate's post, we also make a double-bend steering blade.

http://www.kaikoopaddles.com/Steering_Blades.html

#10 Tue, 03/19/2013 - 7:20pm

I haven't used the double bend yet but am going to get one any day now. I have been yearning for the Mirror Pond to come back. As a steersman (or woman), you need in the quiver a steering blade with smaller surface area and more angle for the flatter days and flat water regattas. Luke said it very well. I endorse this blade.

#11 Thu, 03/21/2013 - 9:08pm

Have you guy's try this: http://www.vipervaa.com/ppr/
Shell Va'a and EDT Va'a use them for Molokai and Hawaiki Nui, they always want the best for there equipment.

#12 Fri, 03/22/2013 - 8:14am

I have a Viper Va'a PPR. It's an all carbon paddle, so very light and sexy. I like paddling with it so much I'm tempted to use it for OC1/V1. When poking, it doesn't have as much "bite" as I'm used to with my trusty old Biscuit. I have the slightly smaller version (20"1/2 blade length) so I might have been better going with the 22" blade, or maybe I just need to learn how to steer. To be honest, I usually blame the crew for causing the boat to diverge from my line.

#13 Fri, 03/22/2013 - 11:45am

Of course. That's always rule number one of steering: the steersmen is never at fault:

Bury the flag: stroker's fault
Huli: two and four's fault
Spin out: the ocean's fault
Finish in the wrong lane: OHCRA's fault

:)

#14 Fri, 03/22/2013 - 1:10pm

thank you for vindicating me luke.

it was the fuvking current

#15 Fri, 03/22/2013 - 3:30pm

I'm keen to try out the Mirror Pond, regular shaft. There's lots of times when I paddle a lot more than poke and it'd be nice to have a paddle that can handle a turn but still a little less beefy for the regular paddling .

So should this paddle be the same length as an OC6 paddle of the length of the Biscuit steering paddle?

#16 Tue, 04/02/2013 - 7:06am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.592 seconds.