Please recommend OC1 for me

I'm new to OC1 paddling - three months ago I took my wife's Naia Iki (by John Martin) out and now I'm hooked. I go out three-four times a week, sometimes more. I feel pretty confident on it and am flying the ama almost at will, and can now surf it out between the Mokuluas in Kailua Bay. Not an expert by any means (maybe an advanced beginner?). But my sense is that the Naia Iki is too small for me. John Martin says it's really for paddlers under 150 lbs. I am 6'0" and weigh 180 lbs.
Which OC1 should I get to call my own? I'm not looking to race (maybe in the future, but now I just enjoy the waves on my own).
Mahalo for your advice!

Submitted by Eldo Rado on Fri, 04/26/2013 - 6:44pm

LOL ,,,, Maybe contact JM and relate your thoughts to him first ?
aloha,
pog

#1 Fri, 04/26/2013 - 9:48pm

Either lose 30 lbs. or get a Hurricane, Thunder, Mantra, Wave Blade, Polaris, etc. Of course you can spend the bucks and pick up that nifty 3 month old red Pueo for $4500? At least you no need wait? But if you one surfah, more cheap for go Costco and pick up them SUPs they get? No worries too when you wipe out.

#2 Sat, 04/27/2013 - 12:21am

Check out the Pueo, Scorpius XM, or Kaolele.

All ideal for your height and weight.

Although those canoes are ideal for a rider your size, they are different canoes and based on your preference you should favor one over the others.

Contact Island Paddler, Surf Line Hawaii, or Foti Brothers.

#3 Sat, 04/27/2013 - 12:52pm

Also, check out the Storm, Fusion, and Torrent... reccomended for riders your size.

#4 Sat, 04/27/2013 - 12:56pm

Sounds like each canoe behaves differently. Will any of the stores allow for a demo to let me try one out?

Anyone recommend the Zephyr?

#5 Sat, 04/27/2013 - 7:18pm

Go visit Karel @ Outrigger Connection. I believe they got some demos available.
Talk to friends and other paddlers... try as many different canoes as possible. They all different and really comes down to what you feel comfortable in personally... like one pair shoes.

#6 Tue, 04/30/2013 - 7:28am

I have a Zypher and its a great first boat. It is my first boat as well and I really enjoy it. It surfs with no issue, big or small. Takes a beating that a first time boat owner can but on a boat. I have been personally eyeing the Storm as my next boat....but still not ready to throw down 4K for a boat.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you ride.

#7 Tue, 04/30/2013 - 8:23am

Eldo Rado, I am currently selling a Kainalu if you want to try it out, im usually out kailua side a lot. PM if you are interested and haven't found an oc-1 yet.

#8 Thu, 06/13/2013 - 1:00pm

My canoe is a Pueo, but, I like to race, it keeps me in shape. If you really don't want to race, and just like surfing, I would not get a Pueo, I would get any one of the Kai Waa canoes... probably an XM. The best surfing canoe I owned was a Wilder Vantage... horrible on flat water... nice big monster surfing rudder... beautiful rocker... good luck finding one. The next best surfing canoe I owned was a Kai Waa Pegasus... turns on a dime, never spins out, but requires you to keep pumping on the waves, and you must fly the ama to keep the nose out of the water. Just my opinions...

#9 Thu, 06/13/2013 - 1:30pm

Contact Surfline. They can get you in touch with demo's for a few boats, such as the scorpius XM & XS, storm, Kaolele, Helium. etc. Also try Kamanu Composites for a Pueo Demo. And also Outrigger Connection for demos of their boats.

#10 Thu, 06/13/2013 - 2:09pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.215 seconds.