Shipping OC-1 from Oahu to East Coast

I got a great deal on an OC-1 and am loving it. Unfortunately, my job is taking me to the east coast. I've already found paddling clubs over there, but I'm trying to figure out how to get my OC-1 there.

Work is giving me a moving stipend, and the canoe and my car are the only big items, so I'm not renting a container.

Is there a way I could piggy back on some manufacturer's shipments?

Any advice is appreciated.

Submitted by ChickenSkin on Tue, 12/17/2013 - 1:54pm

Have them pay to get it to the west coast. Then do a cross county road trip with your car and canoe and paddle corncob reef in Kansas. Maybe they'd pay you for gas... Technically it'd be like paying a shipping fee. See what you can of mainland cause according to an article I just read the planet earth will be uninhabitable in 5 to 6 years. So do what you can now and enjoy life. Cause pretty soon you won't be able to go anywhere, you'll be dead. Have fun!!!

In all seriousness you should look into piggybacking on a shipment with a known builder. Maybe Kai, OC, or KC has space in a container for your canoe. But seriously, you should drive across the mainland cause the planet is ending. No joke.

#1 Tue, 12/17/2013 - 4:02pm

talk to DHX and then JD at Northwest Outrigger and see what the options are. west coast is about $550 plus cost of crate (around $200+unless you make it yourself)

#2 Tue, 12/17/2013 - 6:22pm

Where r u going on the east coast?

#3 Wed, 12/18/2013 - 2:41am

I was fully expecting it to be over $1000 so I'm not sweating over the price. I got the canoe for at least $1000 less than what it's worth, which is why I want to ship it rather than try and buy a new one.

I'm moving to Washington D.C.

#4 Wed, 12/18/2013 - 9:06am

There is a club in DC. Washington OCC. You can look them up when you get there.

#5 Thu, 12/19/2013 - 3:09am

From the Kamanu Composites fb page:
Anyone planning to ship anything (as long as it's under 40') to Hong Kong, Vladivostock, or the east coast? We have three containers going out next year from our shop in Kailua, and we'd love to be able to use all of the available space.

#6 Fri, 12/20/2013 - 10:32pm

Attn. ChickenSkin:

My name is Nate Day, and I'm captain of the men's outrigger team at the Washington (DC) Canoe Club, WCC (we have sprint and marathon teams in addition to outrigger). Please feel free to send me a message if you are interested in, have questions about, or want to talk about our program here. Are you one of the guys we met at Moloka'i this fall?

Cheers,
Nate
nathanadayATgmailDOTcom

#7 Sat, 12/28/2013 - 11:22am

Best of luck shipping your OC-1. I was recently with Washington Canoe Club and it is a great place to be and a great group of guys. Definitely contact Nate when you get settled. Aloha.

#8 Sat, 12/28/2013 - 4:51pm

About a year ago I shipped my canoe from Oahu to DC. The moving company built a wooden box for it and it made it with no problems.

#9 Sat, 01/11/2014 - 2:32pm

how much did it cost with a moving company? I"m also making the move out to the east coast.

#10 Thu, 04/03/2014 - 7:13pm

check out the website "row2k.com". They have a classified ad area where you can post shipping wanted..or find shipping available. I had a V1 transported up from Florida in the past AND just shipped a canoe from east coast to west coast..piggybacked on a rowing shell trailer. I've found it to be a great resource AND if you're successful, they just ask for a small donation to keep the site going.

#11 Fri, 04/04/2014 - 3:33am

www.forwardair.com

aloha,
pog

#12 Fri, 04/04/2014 - 6:31pm

Also check out KAS Transport. I haven't used them but people seem very pleased with their service. Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/KAS-Transport/138736252809012

#13 Sun, 04/06/2014 - 2:20am

Agree with Cat. KAS is good as long as you can reach someone in the office which can sometimes be a challenge, you can also put a bid in on uship, they have some delivery services there that haul canoes.

#14 Thu, 04/17/2014 - 12:45pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.206 seconds.