tides, currents, and boat speed....

Regarding tides and currents, where does the water move fastest, shallow or deep water? I usually think think like this when paddling into a current, or opposing tide, find deeper water, because the current will move quickest in shallow water.
For example, finishing the Catalina race this Sunday, boats will be paddling about 3.5 miles into an strong outgoing tide through Newport Harbor. Where is the fastest line, on the jetty, and shallow water in the harbor, or down the middle of the channel and finding deep water in the harbor.

thanks for the imput,

Submitted by jdeppe on Thu, 09/05/2013 - 7:12am

I'll take a stab at this, as a guy who used to swim into China Cove from our anchored ski boat, and having kayaked the Colorado River through Grand Canyon. If the tide is going out of Newport Harbor, and you are paddling against the outgoing tide, the outbound current will be mostly on the Corona Del Mar (east) side of the harbor entrance, and you might find some eddies, currents going in your desired direction, along the Wedge (west) side of the jetty, since the outbound water will be pushed to the outside of the right hand turn looking downstream after it passes Balboa Island and heads out to sea, presuming water current, and not wind direction, is your main concern. You say 3.5 miles? Once in the harbor, the fastest outbound water will be in the center of the channels where the deepest water is. Good luck!

#1 Thu, 09/05/2013 - 10:17am

I believe you should stay close to the shore if paddling against a strong current. At the same time, you don't want to be in very shallow water because that can slow you down more than the current. Caveat: the shape of the shore and the ocean floor can make each situation different. At Newport, your main concern might be dodging the power boats (or riding their wash).

#2 Thu, 09/05/2013 - 10:21am

You'll want to stay to either the west or east side of the channel. The west is more forgiving initially, then make the cross over.

That final 3.5 miles is the worst part of the crossing. The only good part is once you finish, your girlfriend can drop you a cold beer from the bridge :)

#3 Thu, 09/05/2013 - 11:57am

Or a whole bag of cold beers for the whole boat!.....
so let me get this straight, current is fastest in deep water, slowest in shallow water?
And of course, slowest around the inside of a corner......

gonna be hot and flat, paddle fast!

#4 Thu, 09/05/2013 - 12:48pm

could go around the backside of balboa island, avoid that strong tide swing..

#5 Fri, 09/06/2013 - 8:32am

@jdeppe: you are correct in all regards, bearing in mind Ken's implied point that there is a point at which the increasing shallowness of the water negates the advantage of choosing to work against the current in the shallows. (Hi Ken, it's Nathan -- saw your post on FB about Lili -- sounds like a story -- will you be at Moloka'i to tell it to me?)

--Nate Day
Washington Canoe Club, Washington DC
(paddling on the Potomac, which is tidal where we are)

#6 Sat, 09/07/2013 - 5:59pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.187 seconds.