2014 MoloSolo Predictions

It appears that Danny Ching and Kai Bartlett are not racing. Unless I missed them on the list.

It will be an interesting year for sure.

What are your thoughts?

Submitted by Kona J on Thu, 05/15/2014 - 11:15am

Just cause they're not on the list yet doesn't mean they won't be there.

#1 Thu, 05/15/2014 - 11:29pm

The Truth:

1. New Boats: Winning Boat- Sells

a. Kamanu- Pueo 2,= Manny, Grant,ect.
    b. Kai- New XM and AMA = Kai, Will, Daniel Chun and Kai chong
    c. Johnny- Ehukai= Danny and Jimmy

2. Top Guys have to be there to defend and show off the tahitian on their V1 that
    we know this Water and that this is our playground.

#2 Fri, 05/16/2014 - 6:25am

Oc1- Daniel Danny Grant
V1- Steeve Rete Taaroa

#3 Fri, 05/16/2014 - 7:16am

Tahitians sweep the podium, demand for the Aukahi increases 3x

#4 Fri, 05/16/2014 - 7:22am

All these names mentioned are amazing.

On Maui we have been seeing Kai and Will getting stronger and stronger as time goes on this year. It seems that these guys are building just for this race....if Kai races, expect a VERY strong outing. If not, watch for Will.

#5 Fri, 05/16/2014 - 8:42am

what if Tahitians race V1 with rudder? What category then? or for sure are they racing drag free?

edit: given EDTs close relationship with Viper Va'a and Pure, i'm guessing they'll use Odie's canoe.

#6 Fri, 05/16/2014 - 9:08am

maybe a catergory name change? instead of OC1 and V1 have 'Rudder' and 'Rudderless'

#7 Fri, 05/16/2014 - 9:26am

Hella field, I hope there's wind.

KB Then KH Then some Tahitian

I predict no Tahitian won't be in top 5 if we get 20kt winds plus.

Salty Dog- 3 x 0 is zero demand. Rudderless is getting no traction in Hawaii, time to make a pivot in the strategy.

Will there be dotvision again. I really like that. They need better descriptions of the features of it and they need to be in English.

#8 Fri, 05/16/2014 - 9:28am

Pure V1 removable rudder system? just in case it is flat?

I would love to see Hawaiians in the top spots if winds are in 20kt + range...

But as its turning out I doubt that will be on the menu next week.

Most likely be some what like relay....Lets hope

How ever if it is flat I think Top 5 might be all Tahiti, with some local brahdahs in the mix. Kua get good chance. Danny of course will do damage, Along with the rest of the Top guys.

Anyone know what the German is paddling? 25 foot boat?

Top 20 this year is going to be a big achievement.

Good Luck to All

#9 Fri, 05/16/2014 - 2:44pm

Also V1 is just getting rolling, along with our Unlimited Design V6's.
I am actually really tired of calling them "Unlimited Canoes" We should just call the spec canoes "Limited canoes" Nah nah... But for real Its time they are not set aside as some different species.

V1 No Traction? There are more V1s in Hawaii now than ever before (Good V1's). There is a Hawaiian Going V1 in the Solo! I think its just about to get to another level. Think positive, unless you are a V1 hater give it the respect that it deserves.
V1 builds useful paddlers.

#10 Fri, 05/16/2014 - 3:03pm

the remark about 20 kt winds is laughable… like theres no wind anywhere else in the world or something. i guess i can excuse that remark cause, healthyearth, you weren't even here or paddling when the rest of the world first laid that whole windy race farce to rest.

something to think about. te aito 2012, cause that's what google showed me. 28 k or 17.3984 mile course in 2:22 for the winner. so thats 8.16 minute miles with the course being half upwind and half down wind or about 7.35 MPH average. seems fast to me in a race that features, upwind, flat water, shallow water, reef passes, not to mention having to deal with 600 other paddlers on the same course you're on.

EDIT: for perspective winning time in the solo for 2012, the last year there was considered good surf and wind, was 3:32. So on average the fastest guy did the solo in just a second under 7 minute miles... the guys in the solo were only about 1:15 per mile faster with the advantage of NO UPWIND, non stop tailwind, surf, and 500 less people to tangle with. having timed and paced myself and others up AND downwind on a GPS, paddlers are just a little slower than TWICE as fast going downwind. meaning 30 minutes of upwind will get you around 18-19 minutes of paddle surfing back.... by that measure i think this race is WAAAAAY different than some people are thinking, surf or no surf. the elite pack will be in a dog fight for 32 miles. probably a battle like we've never seen in hawaii. i'm super excited to watch it happen. the closest solo ever basically came down to a race between 3 people. this will have more in the mix, regardless of where they're from or what they're paddling. wind finder is calling 6MPH winds from straight east…this is gonna be crazy.

#11 Sat, 05/17/2014 - 9:18pm

FYI Will is Tahitian!
Rudder canoes just might go the way of the jet ski and surfing.Surfing is back to paddling into big waves,jet ski was instrumental in getting people to accept that it was possible,newer generation is no into towing.Same just might happen with oc-1,instrumental in getting people into the sport and familiar with the ocean,then as newer generation gets into it and back to the (improved) roots,give way to rudderless.My thoughts.

#12 Sat, 05/17/2014 - 12:12pm

whoops sorry, got to stay on subject.

there will be a good mix of the new and old guard. i think all the new Kai Wa'a team guys will make a big push, but the experience and pacing of Kai and others will prove instrumental. The older guard will build throughout the race. BUT, this time everyone will have to contend with the constant attacks from a hungry group of very fast tahitians.

Since everyone is on different canoes its super hard to call. Manutea, Rete, and Steeve will also play a roll in the outcome. Watch out for Manny, Makana and the KC gang…they are all planning their peak around this race too.

this really could be the most exciting solo to watch in the history of the race.

#13 Sat, 05/17/2014 - 3:08pm

I know they probably train in the surf. I just thought a V1 (even with a rudder) would be the major handicap in big water.

In those kind of waters people like JA, Aaron Crepes, Carlton, and few others go to another level.

#14 Sun, 05/18/2014 - 12:19pm

Handicap or not... You decide.
(If the video doesn't pop up try search "Daniel V1R Hana Hou" on vimeo.)

#15 Sun, 05/18/2014 - 12:37pm

Nice. Just watched the vimeo where you are trolling.BAD idea if not in the lagoon in my opinion,you are one lucky guy.Ono get really sharp teeth,you were not ready to handle it,nothing to kill it,all that splashing and you stay dangling your feet inside the ocean,did you watch that video of the guy on O'ahu fishing from his kayak? a couple months ago a guy on Maui was fishing and dangling his feet over the kayak,mano took one, or was it both feet? If you ever check the tiger shark site where they stay tracking them,you can see the same one in Maui waters in the morning and in Kona waters that afternoon.You one good looking guy,keep your feet(and your smile)

#16 Sun, 05/18/2014 - 3:27pm

"something to think about. te aito 2012, cause that's what google showed me. 28 k or 17.3984 mile course in 2:22 for the winner. so thats 8.16 minute miles with the course being half upwind and half down wind or about 7.35 MPH average. seems fast to me in a race that features, upwind, flat water, shallow water, reef passes, not to mention having to deal with 600 other paddlers on the same course you're on.
EDIT: for perspective winning time in the solo for 2012, the last year there was considered good surf and wind, was 3:32. So on average the fastest guy did the solo in just a second under 7 minute miles... the guys in the solo were only about 1:15 per mile faster with the ...
"

Fastest TeAito 2013
AVG MPH: 7.35
Minute Miles: 8:16
Course: Upwind/Downwind

Fastest Solo 2013
AVG MPH: 8.65
Minute Miles: 6:59
Course: Downwind

Thanks for mining the data Jc9, just wanted to see in a list for clarity.

One other factor to consider, the Kaiwi channel is a mind bender of a course, wind line, currents and tides, there is something about the way oc1 can handle that situation that would give it an edge in my mind.

#17 Mon, 05/19/2014 - 8:22am

thanks joe. i understand having a rudder is massively useful, especially in the predominantly rear quartering seas of Ka‘iwi.

so in total fantasy land theory this should be a close race...

#18 Mon, 05/19/2014 - 12:03pm

Totally valid points that the rudder helps 99.9% of paddlers go where they want to go. The Point I think JC is trying to make is that Canoes or Rudders aside, the Paddlers have to endure all forms of conditions in the Te Aito, and do it with no rudder in near 1:16 off record Kaiwi times...so just imagine what they could potentially do with Favorable downwind or quarter wind conditions with a Rudder.

Maitai says that the EDT boys are all on Viper/Pure V1's If its flat they go Rudderless, if its anykind of downwind surf then they run with the Rudder modification.

This will undoubtedly be one crossing for the History Books. Oh yea if anyone thinks these guys cant paddle OC1's Get ready for a Cough and choke on your bagel moment.

#19 Mon, 05/19/2014 - 12:57pm

So if they go rudderless then it will be pointless for them to race, unless of course they came down here just to race against the one local rudderless rider. If they want to race on equal terms as the top Hawaii riders they need a rudder.

Will dot vision be broadcasting.

I hope they use dot vision for the coastal races next season. For the riders that want to use it maybe have them pay a deposit so that the beacon (or whatever they called).

#20 Mon, 05/19/2014 - 1:46pm

so healthyearth, are you implying the rudderless is an unfair advantage? i don't understand your reasoning.

i think kauaisurf is saying they will choose the best craft for the conditions. as everyone would be wise to do...

#21 Mon, 05/19/2014 - 6:07pm

The canoe in video has a rudder.

#22 Mon, 05/19/2014 - 8:54pm

You're making me famous JC.

I'll continue to help you make me look more ignorant than I'm already making myself look.....by answering your question. Yes, at times it is an advantage. That pivot point would be determined by the skill level of the paddler in downwind conditions. This is just the same thing your saying in your second sentence though. But, I thought I would go down this fox hole anyway to see where it leads.

#23 Mon, 05/19/2014 - 9:08pm

Love the way V1's release, I think that is a huge advantage over an OC1 ... See the video above of the ruddered version.

I'm guessing the ruddered version has more tail rocker than most non ruddered V1s.

#24 Wed, 05/21/2014 - 10:33pm

From NOAA:

Scattered showers. Mostly sunny, with a high near 83. East wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Sunday Night Scattered showers. Partly cloudy, with a low around 67. East wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Looks like a painful one, Tahitian will dominate if this does not change!

#25 Tue, 05/20/2014 - 5:45am

I would love to hear Keizo's analysis of the V1 with Rudder vs. OC1, as he has assisted in designing both (A V1 non rudder) and has the technical expertise to talk about the advantages and disadvantages of both in varying conditions.

#26 Tue, 05/20/2014 - 7:02am

You should try one this week in the mirror flat conditions and see how you like no drag. A slight side wind would definitely help out the OC1 but if its 5 East we are going to be sweating balls. I hope Kua can kick some ass this weekend.

Would it be fair to have separate categories if they go without rudder?

#27 Tue, 05/20/2014 - 9:29am

I wonder if anyone considering simply smaller rudders this time.

Even a little 4" one works great ***

Huki has the best system .. Rudder swaps in less than 30 seconds.
http://www.huki.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1&zenid=usf1l4...

aloha,
pog

*** left the door open for thread derail : )

#28 Tue, 05/20/2014 - 12:07pm

healthyearth, had no idea what you were saying and that's why i asked. i don't think any of us are famous.

if it's 5 mph east it'll feel hotter than if there's no wind at all! new forecast is calling for 3-5 mph East/Southeast winds on Moloka'i turning straight south towards O'ahu.

gonna be mental.

#29 Tue, 05/20/2014 - 12:34pm

Mistake above:
Fastest Molokai time is about 3hr 30min.
So that's avg: (9.1mph or 14.6kph)

I agree with healthyearth.
If they race V1 then no comparison to us racing OC1s.
Lets go to Tahiti and race Super Aito on our OC1s. What you think they would say???????

Wont be too epic of a race if this solo is flat.

PS: Please pray for some wind for me guys! Please!!!

#30 Tue, 05/20/2014 - 3:24pm

yes, you cannot compare the v1 and oc1.

v1 is simply way harder.

maybe it's just me, but complaining about v1s competing against oc1s makes you sound like a wuss.

good luck to everyone out there.

#31 Tue, 05/20/2014 - 2:28pm

That guy in the video is not steering with his paddle. He's steering with his feet.

#32 Tue, 05/20/2014 - 6:05pm

"That guy in the video is not steering with his paddle. He's steering with his feet."

Yup, 'cos V1R stands for V1 with a rudder.

#33 Tue, 05/20/2014 - 6:09pm

I cant wait to see the results. These boys don't paddle oc1. so if they did. then it would be unfair. They have island crossings in Tahiti too. They will know the surf, current and wind. They will choose what they know they will be fastest on. Looking forward to this...

Wonder what comments will come up after this?

#34 Tue, 05/20/2014 - 7:41pm

Oh ! Man ! I like this thread !

#35 Tue, 05/20/2014 - 10:35pm

k

Me too I like this thread. I've done Te Aito twice and got smashed and Solo twice and got smashed. The courses and waterform are completely different. BUT with SE light winds it looks really favourable for a V1 (rudderless) surf run all the way to Hawaii Kai. Manutea, Steeve, Heiva, Taaroa, Lono, Maitai and Rete are weapons in surf and they can surf big stuff and do handle.

OC1 surf ride is different, i guess for me I personally feel have more selection options than V1 (well at least at the level I can handle).

I'm really curious on the outcome. Not gonna make any predictions on this one, except one obvious thing - local knowledge rules

#36 Wed, 05/21/2014 - 1:59am

Besides going rudderless, why not go ama-less too, like Karel Sr. did over 30 years ago in crossing the Channel in his mono hull canoe? He never sit on his okole, but did it kneeling the whole way, and paddling only on one side. Like a true canoeist, he never toss his paddle like a baton from side to side to steer, but steered his canoe from only one side. Now that's even more hard! Time to forget this nonsense of whether it is a V-1 or OC-1 or whether get rudder or no more. Back then in Karel Sr. days, it was very simple: if you use a single blade paddle, you paddling a canoe. If you use a double bladed paddle, then you paddling a kayak. Let's keep things simple and uncomplicated. Spend the time improving your skills, instead of worrying about what the other paddlers paddling.

#37 Wed, 05/21/2014 - 7:45am

I'm having a hard time following the conversation. Are people saying that a V-1 is an unfair advantage? I am certain that in shorter, flatter races a V-1 is faster (simply because they are designed for flatter water). But, it is also way more difficult. I'd guess it would take someone at least two to three years of consistent V-1 paddling to be skilled enough to go faster than they would on an OC-1 in flat water. In rough ocean, especially with a quartering swell, an OC-1 is always going to be faster.

The unknown is a longer race (V-1 is more exhausting over time than an OC-1) with a small bump. I don't think anyone, including the Tahitians, know whether they will be faster in an OC-1 or a V-1 in the conditions that are being called for the solo. It's going to be incredibly exciting to see what happens.

Paddling a V-1 is a completely different style of paddling compared to an OC-1. The learning curve is steep and it requires much more finesse. That said, I race in an OC-1 95% of the time because I know I'll go faster in it. So, while there should be events (like the Super Aito) which are exclusively V-1, there shouldn't be events that are exclusively OC-1. If you agree to use a V-1 in an OC-1 race, then you are giving yourself an extra challenge. If you go with an OC-1 in a V-1 race, you are diminishing the level of skill that it takes to paddle a V-1.

My hat goes off to guys like Vance Hashimoto and all of the Tahitians who are coming to take up the challenge. I've always wanted to do the Kaiwi channel in a V-1, but the concept (long race, quartering wind) scares the shit out of me. So, I haven't done it. And I'm in awe of the guys who finally are.

With Kai, Danny, Jimmy, Travis, Manny, Kua, Daniel, Kaihe, Will, Makana, Kalei and seven of the fastest Tahitians... It, in my opinion, will be the most competitive solo there has ever been. And, the winner could be proving an ideological point:

a) If a Hawaiian on an OC-1 wins, then it proves that Hawaiian paddlers really are faster than Tahitians in their own water on their choice of craft.

b) If a Tahitian on a V-1 wins, then it proves that a V-1 can be faster (in a long race with small seas).

c) If a Tahitian on an OC-1 wins, then it proves that an OC-1 is faster than a V-1 (in a long race with small seas).

Regardless of the outcome, it's exciting. Goodluck to everyone out there. May the fastest paddler win...

Out of curiosity, have any of the Tahitians that are coming won: Moloka'i Hoe, Hawaiki Nui, and the Super Aito?

#38 Wed, 05/21/2014 - 8:39am

Spot on Luke!

#39 Wed, 05/21/2014 - 10:08am

Since I hardly paddle anymore, my prediction won't be about who wins the Solo, but what will happen on OCPaddler.com afterwards...
...I predict a repeat of this thread: http://www.ocpaddler.com/node/1813

#40 Wed, 05/21/2014 - 10:27am

I agree with goto (since it looks like it won't be a wind storm) and Luke except the part about v1 being entered in oc1 because more skill is required for a v1, by that argument then surfski's should be able to enter the race.

Like the old thread.

#41 Wed, 05/21/2014 - 11:13am

Love the old thread - goto, thanks for an(other) hour of lost productivity! Best part is kj saying (basically) "Whatever, Shell, win a couple more Hoes and then pop off"

#42 Wed, 05/21/2014 - 11:23am

unhealthy dearth of logic/waha nui:

adding a surfski to the mix is not logical extension of either goto or luke's position and your argument does not hold, let alone float on, water. the fact that you interpret such (or speciously suggest) to apply to a surfski, in my opinion, discredits your initial argument.

i think addressing the obvious differences between v1 & oc1 with a surfski would, at this point, be insulting to everyone. that said, you sound like a complete wuss complaining about such. embarrassing to say the least. enough.

it would be awesome if a v1 wins, and we should not preemptively complain and diminish anyone's effort this weekend.

in no way i mean disrespect to the oc1, as personally, i hope a hawaii paddler wins.

#43 Wed, 05/21/2014 - 1:11pm

Next up is Hybrid V-1/OC-1 ...

V-1 shape with a little faster stern shape + adjustable skeg or tiny rudder. Maybe w/ OC cockpit and ergonnomics.

OC-1 with a little harder 'keel' aft and smaller rudder.

No dog in this but the outcome of the race is (IMO) gonna effect peoples thoughts and consideration on what to buy next.

aloha,
pog

#44 Wed, 05/21/2014 - 1:27pm

healthyearth, I'm trying to understand what you're saying... You disagree w/Luke as far as the V1 taking more skill part? Does V1 take LESS skill you think?
Comparing V1 to a one-man is in no way similar to comparing surfski to one-man... The double-blade, (as pointed out by koacanoe) makes it a whole different sport. Rowing, canoeing, kayaking - three different disciplines made distinct by their means of propulsion, not by the craft.
So what will define a one-man from here on out, since everyone's so uptight about folks racing V1 in the channel? I mean, we can hardly claim that the one-man is a culturally "Hawaiian" canoe, as it was only built in (very) recent times. What if someone puts a 1/2 inch rudder on their Hurricane? Where does Odie's ruddered V1 fall? What if someone builds a sit on top outrigger canoe with the exact same hull profile as an Aukahi? Where do you these boats get categorized?
And how does this argument cross over to six-mans? If someone built a pedal-actuated ruddered six-man, (god forbid!) do you think this boat would have an advantage over regular six-mans, or not? Which one would you expect to do better in a channel crossing, even on a pretty flat day...
...I'd guess that if it was flat, the regular six-man could hold it's own, if not beat the ruddered one, IF your steersman was a badass. Which brings me to my point. Paddling is a sport of skill. Not the least of which are surfing, steering, upwind, flat water, quartering swells...

#45 Wed, 05/21/2014 - 1:27pm

Healthy--
OC-1 and V-1s are both outrigger canoes.
Yet, OC-1s are not Va'a.
And a surfski is neither.

So, in an outrigger canoe race, there's no reason that V-1s shouldn't be allowed.
In a V-1 race, there's every reason why OC-1s shouldn't be allowed.
And surfskis should be allowed in neither. (in the same category).

If a V-1 or an OC-1 wins overall, then that canoe was the fastest outrigger canoe on the water.
If a surfski wins overall, then that was the fastest kayak in the race, but it's irrelevant to the outrigger canoes on the water.

#46 Wed, 05/21/2014 - 1:50pm

In our bhutty moore-morial race there is only one division. You choose what canoe you think you will be faster on. Most paddle OC1. This year we had our first V1 on the podium placing 3rd. Was a good downwind giving the oc1 a lead. at the finish the v1 made up a lot of ground coming into the harbour. could have one if it was flatter for longer. He then raced in the Bo Herbert memorial later in flatter conditions and beat all the oc1. To me looking at that I see the oc1 is faster in downwind. This v1 paddler also came 68th last years super aito. Give him another year and he may win a good downwind on his v1. Just depends how hard you work. Everyones doing the work and will choose what they think is fastest. Took 6 years to get a v1 on the podium here. just taken a bit longer in Hawaii. but im thinking it will happen.

#47 Wed, 05/21/2014 - 2:41pm

"Paddling a V-1 is a completely different style of paddling compared to an OC-1. The learning curve is steep and it requires much more finesse. That said, I race in an OC-1 95% of the time because I know I'll go faster in it. So, while there should be events (like the Super Aito) which are exclusively V-1, there shouldn't be events that are exclusively OC-1. If you agree to use a V-1 in an OC-1 race, then you are giving yourself an extra challenge. If you go with an OC-1 in a V-1 race, you are diminishing the level of skill that it takes to paddle a V-1."

From this paragraph above I thought the logic was,Since a v1 is more difficult then it should be allowed in in oc category. Specifically this statement. "If you agree to use a V-1 in an OC-1 race, then you are giving yourself an extra challenge. If you go with an OC-1 in a V-1 race, you are diminishing the level of skill that it takes to paddle a V-1." So this is why I say "by that logic".

I didn't know your logic was this. "OC-1 and V-1s are both outrigger canoes.
Yet, OC-1s are not Va'a".

I could have communicated it better but I was trying not to distract too much from the title. Which is why most people came to this particular thread... I'd imagine.

Yes I believe the V1 is more difficult.

#48 Wed, 05/21/2014 - 3:24pm

I'm a bit confused on V1 vs OC1. My understanding has been that a one man outrigger canoe with a rudder is an OC1, and a one man outrigger without a rudder is a V1. If you take a V1 and add a rudder, you get an OC1. If you take an OC1 and remove the rudder, you get a V1. Is this wrong?

#49 Wed, 05/21/2014 - 2:56pm

It should come down to basics, and call a canoe with a single blade and an ama an outrigger. It would be an unlimited class, and the paddler would have his choice of craft. in the early years of the surfski race there were many different designs, including kayaks. What later evolved was the fastest all around newer surfskis became the craft of choice.

#50 Wed, 05/21/2014 - 4:37pm

So who's going to win?

For what it's worth
1st Daniel Chun
2nd Steeve T
3 rd Danny Ching
4th Kai Bartlett
5th Rete Ebb

#51 Wed, 05/21/2014 - 5:07pm

Oc-ken, the other major difference between a V1 is the sit inside cockpit, this figures very highly in the Tahitian definition of what a v1 is, along with no rudder and no holes in the bottom of the hull ( drainage etc)

Having said that, some of the oc1s these days are almost semi sit in, so at what point do we determine what is Sit on and what is Sit in?

#52 Wed, 05/21/2014 - 5:07pm

V1 racing is alive and growing in OZ, tomorrow's Aussie Aito race has 95 entries.

#53 Wed, 05/21/2014 - 5:10pm

Read the title of this post Rambo,
I bet you won't give us your top 5 and don't mention you know who and jinx him.

#54 Wed, 05/21/2014 - 5:17pm

Luke, to answer your questions about the tahitians coming. Yes, you have one that has won Molokai Hoe. Several of them who have won Hawaiki Nui several times. Individual Champions of the Aito, Super Aito, Heiva and World sprints that will be participating in this years Molo solo, it should be fun no matter what the channel provides on Sunday... Exciting solo to say the least! Good luck to ALL!

#55 Wed, 05/21/2014 - 5:32pm

GOT TO PUT IN MY TWO CENTS FOR WHAT ITS WORTH. DANIEL CHUN IS GOING TO CRUSH. THIS SOLO IS WHAT HE TRAINS IN EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR, ACTUALLY TWICE EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR. IN YOUR FACE FLAT, HOT, KONA. WHEN I DRIVE HOME AT NIGHT I SEE HIM RUNNING THE MOUNTAINS OF HUALALAI. IF HE TRIED MMA HE WOULD KILL IT. NO MATTER , HIS DETERMINATION IS UNMATCHED. GOOD LUCK YOU GUYS, EVEN IF YOU LIVE TO BE 80 LIFE IS SHORT, SO ENJOY, CHERISH THESE MEMORIES.

#56 Wed, 05/21/2014 - 7:15pm

Hunt West got me convinced! DC!

#57 Wed, 05/21/2014 - 7:28pm

Just saying... V1 and Oc1 are two completely different animals. V1 is way harder and takes true paddling ability while oc1 brings out the top level of surfing. You can't compare the two canoes nor can you compare top tahitian guys to top hawaii guys. The top guys are all at the same fitness level. We train and use different boats because here in Hawaii our trades are strong and we see some big ocean where the V1 wouldn't be as fast. Conditions in Tahiti are a bit calmer and islands are closer. When Hawaii guys go to race v1 in Tahiti we get smashed. There was a time awhile back when Manutea and Georges did a Makai pier- magic island race. That's about 18 miles and surf was big the whole way. I think Manu got 9th riding an oc1. Same month there was a short v1 race out in Kaneohe Bay and I believe Mael edged the two out. The evolution of paddling has gone back and forth between hawaii and tahiti. Tahiti is not afraid of change and so they try and push themselves to be better. Hawaii holds on to only what we know and don't push the level more, if hawaii did we would have HVA prioritized on our calendars and training on v1s just as religiously as we train on the oc1. To me the tahitians are trying to get hawaii to compete with them. If they really go rudderless, that's making a big statement to hawaii to jump on the v1. I just paddled with Manutea last sunday and all he wants to do is help and of course paddle but hawaii can't be afraid to change our style and stroke technique, also feel of how the boat is running. Just Saying

#58 Wed, 05/21/2014 - 7:28pm

Just seen your post Hunt West and yes Daniel Chun is going to kill it, let's all take note that he V1s as well. I know most of us seen his v1 clip. He is a beast, he does it all. We should all be training like that. And he's a very good bruddah.

#59 Wed, 05/21/2014 - 7:37pm

AWE, RIVALRY IS GOOD FOR EVERY SPORT!! THE BEST THING ABOUT PADDLING IS AFTER THE RACE IS OVER ITS ALL SMILES, HANDSHAKES, TRADE SHIRTS, AND GREEN BEERS

#60 Wed, 05/21/2014 - 8:06pm

NO DOTVISION!
NO DOTVISION!
NO DOTVISION!
NO DOTVISION!
WTF

#61 Wed, 05/21/2014 - 9:24pm

PLOM, i think the race with Mael, Manutea and Georges is featured in a video somewhere online. The race was on the windward side of O‘ahu and put on by Keahiakahoe? All three were neck and neck to the finish. All three were on OC1 (ruddered boats).

do people change their top five ranking at all if everyone in the field uses a rudder? Manutea has to be in the mix somewhere near the podium. is Kalei Kaho‘okele in town? Manny has been in the top five forever...

#62 Wed, 05/21/2014 - 9:31pm

Hey Mike, I actually meant has any of them won all three? Would be an impressive feat if someone ever won all four major races in the world (Solo, Super Aito, Moloka'i Hoe, Hawaiki Nui).

#63 Wed, 05/21/2014 - 9:46pm

Hey Luke I think Lewis Laughlin would have the best record worldwide ( someone want to look it up) has Manu won 3 of the 4?

#64 Wed, 05/21/2014 - 10:31pm

As far as I know, Lewis won:
Moloka'i Hoe
Hawaiki Nui
Super Aito
Moloka'i Surfski

I think that Manutea, Steeve, and Rete have all won: Super Aito and Hawaiki Nui-- but none have won Moloka'i Hoe (correct?).

I hope I live long enough to see someone win all four. Especially if that person is from Hawai'i.

#65 Thu, 05/22/2014 - 9:27am

my top 10 in no particular order
-if small surf.
Rete, Manu, Steve, Maitai, Kua, Daniel, Danny, Kai, Manny, Trav

I don't know the other Tahitians but I would bet that they would be in the mix of that top 10. what if the front 7 are all Tahitians with no knowledgable escort guy, and are aiming for Diamond head? eek

I hope I'm wrong and more locals are in the top 10.

No GPS for the Solo?

#66 Thu, 05/22/2014 - 9:44am

Wind is coming.

Is anyone leaving hk in motorboat to watch end if race?
I would like to hop on if so. I promise I won't tell you how to drive your boat.

#67 Thu, 05/22/2014 - 9:51am

Rudder or rudderless I really hope a local wins!

#68 Thu, 05/22/2014 - 10:16am

FYI:
The Race is Called
"Kaiwi Channel Solo OC1 World Championship 2014"

hint hint, OC1 World Champ!

#69 Thu, 05/22/2014 - 10:27am

Just like the surfski race that past (Molokai challenge & Surfski World Championship) you could race on any craft but the champ/person was the person who won in the ski. The money went mostly to the ski guys.

#70 Thu, 05/22/2014 - 12:20pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.279 seconds.