China Canoes

I'm sure just about everybody whose ever googled China canoes has seen the Hypr canoe thread, but I'm curious about owner's opinions for the other canoes. Especially after maybe owning them for a little bit. There are a lot of Ozone/ Kai waa and Hurricanes out there. Also the canoes coming from Aloha Composites ( Outrigger Connection/ Paddle Sports International). What are owner's opinions? Would you purchase them again?

I'll even start. I own an Ozone Scorpius XM. It seems to be a well built canoe. Lighter than anything I've ever felt, and still solid. Keep in mind my other canoes are 10+ years old, so not really a fair comparison. It does ding easily, but I think it's the same for any double carbon canoe. I do feel the paint on the canoe is really thin, and chips easily. I do wish it was more durable. Not near as durable as gelcoat. I do like that it is seamless, just becasue I sometimes brush my thumb against the side of the canoe, and on my older canoes, it sometimes hurt my thumb. When I bought it, a Maui built canoe was about $1000 more so I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another Ozone canoe, although I would wish for more durable paint.
Any thoughts from other owners? Outrigger Connection Owners?

Submitted by kalikikopa on Sun, 04/06/2014 - 9:32pm

Hi Rambo, I formed that opinion from looking at my and other Ozone canoes next to the sea of Pueos on the beach. They just seem to be really well built canoes. I do admit my canoe feels light, but very solid. My opinion really just may be because ot how I feel about the paint. That and after someone's post about carbon iakos should come with a bag has me thinking about how I treat my iakos, and possibly looking into aluminum before my son or I break another set.

#71 Wed, 04/16/2014 - 11:34pm

Aloha kalikikopa, I misspoke! You (and the Kamanu website) are correct. The Pueo design is licensed and built in outside of the US in two other locations. By Kamanu Composites Australia, Down Under, and by Woo in France. Both locations build for their local market. It increases availability, their materials and labor are locally sourced, and the shipping costs, emissions, and packaging waste are all greatly reduced.

So what I meant to say is that all Kamanu Composites canoes built for Hawai'i and N. America, are made in the Kailua shop :)

#72 Thu, 04/17/2014 - 6:40am

Kalikikopa- Gelcoat can chip especially from paddle bangs on cockpit rails. Acrylic will also. Crylon (sp?) spray paint gloss white is a good touch white for paint chips and matches the OZONE white very well. Also matches the VAlspar white white gelcoat. Best way to spray is by not taping of the repair area which leaves a ridge. Colors are harder to match. Crylon gloss black works well on the Ozone black. Put a coat of clear over the white, let it dry for 48 hours and then wetsand with 600 grit or finer, and polish.

#73 Thu, 04/17/2014 - 8:02am

That alibaba site is gnarly. Moulds from Kai's, and Maui were allowed to be used and sold?

There's your sign.

At least people will be able to buy a decent canoe from Walmart in the more rural parts of America...

Franco might have to defend his Title to some 15 year old from Arkansas in the near future.

All Kidding aside, you can't force ideologies on others, but you can inform the un informed.

Half the crap I own is probably made in china...but when I have a viable choice I want Made in the USA/HI.

Have a Happy Easter everyone!

#74 Thu, 04/17/2014 - 8:40am

goto, thanks for ruining this thread with factual evidence. Pulling facts out of my ass is by far more fun. Damn you.

And if you need more motivation to buy USA/Hawaii take some time to look at how chinese factories affect the environment. Its pretty scary. Fresh vegetables are a very rare item in China because of the widespread polluted water. All vegetables are cooked.

Another thought I had: I'm glad I'm not paddling right now, how the f*ck would I ever afford a $4500 canoe on my own? Good lord...

And yes, this feels good, just like the old days...

#75 Thu, 04/17/2014 - 9:03am

yeah poopoo, $4500 sounds nuts right? until you start to think about how much money many people in the US and Hawaii make and then spend on a daily or monthly basis.

cable service? $45 a month for just basic $100 if you watch Game of Thrones (not even needed with OCP firing)
internet service? $35 a month
home phone? $35 a month
cell phone? $90 a month for smart phone (sometimes more, sometimes less)
car payment for second or third car? $250 a month (probably more)
electric bill? $250 a month (not unheard of, maybe could be halved b y using efficient lights, appliances, and line drying clothes)
eat out once a week? $160 a month (conservatively)

so just cancel cable, home phone, sell your shiny new car you're paying for, eat at home more often (out once a month), reduce electric use and here's what you get in monthly savings.

45+35+250+125+120= $575 saved PER MONTH.

so in 7-8 months you've saved enough for a $4500 canoe. so really, what is your priority? this is always the case? as you see in this example i choose to keep my cell phone, electricity, and internet service…i'm not crazy! right now many of us probably pay for a home phone we use once a month, if at all. insure one too many cars. pay for a brand new car that spends 21 hours a day not even moving (it either sits in your garage or in the parking lot at work). and some people have to stare at a tv for several hours a day out of habit.

if you can't afford the $1500 difference to buy a canoe straight from Kai, then just make these changes for three months and then go back to the "easy" life.

i'm sure people will get angry at me, so i'll put this out there. yes, i have three cars. selling one to go down to two. they're all paid for. i line dry my clothes weather permitting. i have no cable service. my wife makes me have a home phone that we don't use. we've replaced most of our lights with efficient bulbs.this over simplified example doesn't even account for insurance savings, gas savings, etc etc etc. it adds up really fast. if you really dig paddling, which i think most of us do, you'll spend more time in your new canoe than you will in your new car!

**i have a mortgage and two kids and a wife. if i can do this anyone can. all this whining about needing to save 300 or 1500 bucks and having to take care of your family is a sad song that's overused. cry me a river. the choices YOU make daily are what bleed your pockets dry. not a local built canoe from Kamanu, Kai, Maui, OC or Tiger. if having to wait bothers you, then put in your order and then start saving your money. by the time the boat is ready you'll have the money. or just put in on your unpaid credit card and live with the 14 to 21% interest capital one will charge you...

#76 Thu, 04/17/2014 - 10:11am

jc9, we live a pretty frugal life already. Bills are all pretty low, I think our only luxury is my truck which is almost paid off and our cable TV/internet. If we do eat out its $12 pizza or $15 kozo sushi (handrolls are awesome).

I guess if it wasn't for tuition, I could buy 4 pueos.

#77 Thu, 04/17/2014 - 10:41am

Now that I'm doing better in my races I need to start my comments like this. I don't normally post on here but (meaning I like watching you mere earthling endlessly squabble over the right answer and it was amusing for a while but now I need to give you the right answer) I had to say this. The guys saying don't buy the Chinese are basically acting like Chinese and saying "only do it this way and all other reasons don't matter!"Yes master! The guys buying Chinese are saying "Look we wuold like to buy American but I need to buy Chinese, give us a little Freedom so we can paddle comfortably. We not judging you don't judge us, we all have our own situation". It's not as ironic as a black fly in your Chardonnay or a death row pardon two minutes too late, or aaaa cream pie when you already aaate. but still lil ironic.

I must say Kamanu canoes are extremely well built and the service provided by them is unmatched in the industry here on Oahu. I would say each builder there seems to have a touch of concern for each Pueo that has left their shop. Having a Pueo felt like I was always being looked after not just by the owner(s) but also by the many hands that help build these canoes.

#78 Thu, 04/17/2014 - 12:31pm

yes poopoo, i know you're a miser. i refer to the other 99.9%.

#79 Thu, 04/17/2014 - 12:30pm

"I must say Kamanu canoes are extremely well built and the service provided by them is unmatched in the industry here on Oahu. I would say each builder there seems to have a touch of concern for each Pueo that has left their shop. Having a Pueo felt like I was always being looked after not just by the owner(s) but also by the many hands that help build these canoes."

I must say I agree 100%. I have purchased 1 Aukahi from them and Luke was awesome. I bought a 2nd hand pueo2 and Luke was still awesome. Ive bought roughly 6 canoes from Kai, and they are just as awesome. Buy local when you can. Its better, in my opinion. But if the only way you can get on the water is to buy China, then buy China.

Glad to see OCP can still be alive and well.

#80 Thu, 04/17/2014 - 1:05pm

Thank you all for the great discussion. Looking at the thread we could probably break it down to at three or four different topics(China canoe quality, buying/local vs outsourcing, passing judgement, Kamanu Composites service). I did enjoy reading it all. Thanks again.

#81 Thu, 04/17/2014 - 2:30pm

jc9, I am as some would say "chinese."

What Hawaii really needs is a reliable illegal workforce.

#82 Thu, 04/17/2014 - 2:34pm

It's not over till the big fella sings...

#83 Thu, 04/17/2014 - 2:50pm

LOL poopoopaddler.

Kalikikopa, you forgot misinformation about Gelcoat too. ***

*** Tiger's is correct.

aloha,
pog

#84 Thu, 04/17/2014 - 2:50pm

I guess we're lucky here in France mainland after all (I'm glad I can tell the world something is right in my country these days !)

We've got the best part from all different points of view regarding the business machine :
- One pure dealer (kai wa'a and ozone products)
- One pure manufacturer under kamanu licence (also its own products which he began business with)
- One workshop assembling pieces of va'a sent straight from Tahiti.
- Some anecdotic shippings from Tahiti (I call them anecdotic because it's rather a one shot, sometimes through complicated "I don't want to know how" ways then a standard business, anyhow it's historically the first supply line for us)
- Very scarce shipping of east european made OC6 (east of europe is somewhat our "china" regarding composite work)
- For the record : Local kayak manufacturers tried in the past to do their own products with their own designs, without the slightest knowledge of the sport. That's plain stupid and proved to be : They closed their activity after more or less struggling. But the resulting "monsters" (heavy, clumsy, awkward beasts if I daresay) are still in the second hand market. Not very sought after but still OK, sturdy and cheap for the beginner. That's something :-)

Therefore a lot of second hands in V1, OC1, OC2, V6 for such a small sport (very small community actually)

The only missing one is the 3 men, to my despair :-/ (my favourite and probably the one we should develop regarding the transport and storage issues we have to deal with)

#85 Fri, 04/18/2014 - 2:49am

Bonjour Fabrice,

look at Va'a Factory for instance. They do produce a Va'a Toru in France:

http://www.vaafactory.fr/catalogue-3/catalogue-pirogue-vf-europe/

#86 Fri, 04/18/2014 - 6:00am

@PaddlingGerman

It has a caption of V3 but it looks like a V6, But I'm sure they make them.

#87 Fri, 04/18/2014 - 7:19am

"- Very scarce shipping of east european made OC6 (east of europe is somewhat our "china" regarding composite work)"

I'm surprised more manufacturers aren't building their lower-cost boats and such in places like the Czech Republic. The composite work and build quality I've seen in products manufactured in the Czech Republic has really been first rate, costs are low, and you don't seem to have the rampant violatiosn of patent rights that occur in China (as well as other issues with doing business in China). Surely the language isn't any harder to learn. :)

#88 Fri, 04/18/2014 - 8:41am

Jiri Gut and Hody Outrigger for example are built in Eastern Europe. Jiri does the Mirage for Outrigger Connection. Both have their basis in Kayaking which is huge in Europe.

http://www.hodysport.hu/en/products/oc1-bonito/
http://www.jgut.cz/Outrigger.htm

#89 Fri, 04/18/2014 - 9:01am

Just one thing to think about, paddling the boat that feels the best for you. I have paddled several different types of boats to find one that "fits" me and I feel confident in. It ended up that the boat that felt the best for my style and body was the Storm. No options there to buy local. That said living on Maui with Mike Giblin on island, the service has been amazing. Mike has lent a friend an Ama when we broke his ama. Mike has given me an extra pair of iakus when I damaged mine, at no charge.

As stated before, service goes a long way.

Not sure what I would do if they had a locally made Storm, but its an interesting thought.

-J

#90 Fri, 04/18/2014 - 9:12am

Buy American.....PBR all the way!

#91 Fri, 04/18/2014 - 2:09pm

Since no one chimed in for the east coast, U.S., I'll add my 2 cents. When I start paddling about 15 yrs ago, there was one choice for OC1...Huki or nothing AND I have always liked Judes canoes (I still have my original V1A). After several years, a couple of reps sprang up and we had the choice of maybe 2 or 3 boats from Ozone (First HUrricanes, then Kai Wa'a) and Outrigger Connection boats became available too (who can't forget the "chine" discussion). You could get a yellow one, blue one, red one or green one. Cookie cutter. Recently, some of the reps have moved or shut down so one has to search a bit harder for an OC1. Good Used ones can be had for not that much off of the original sale price. Whenever I look in the classifieds at custom canoes with their splashy graphics, etc. I KNOW that I could go faster if I had one of these! Seriously, I would and DO pay more to "buy American" if and when I can! (I might add...nothing against foreign goods...buying "American" is buying "local" for me)

#92 Sun, 04/20/2014 - 9:24am

paddlingGerman : I'm aware of the va'a factory's vaatoru offer. The first one should come out of the mold any moment now in the French workshop. I'm looking forward to trying it soon !

#93 Wed, 04/23/2014 - 2:55am

redpepper : I'm as surprised as you are. "Idoine diffusion", a french dealer is going that way. I'm pretty sure their products are some of these you mentioned.

#94 Wed, 04/23/2014 - 8:05pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.232 seconds.