Peeling gelcoat?

Howzit guys,
I looked around a little and thought I might ask how to repair large areas of a peeling gel coat. Even a link to another post or page would help. I have a shop and tools so I think I can do a functional job. Just looking to get this thing going. Can I run it without a gel coat? Any info is welcome. Mahalo

AttachmentSize
image.jpg1.61 MB

Submitted by Honomupaddler on Mon, 03/10/2014 - 10:16pm

Check out the top of the forum where it says forum photos videos calendar more search and hover over "more" for the drop down list and go to articles. Read some of the posts (not the SPAM ones) in the two articles on "Basics of canoe materials" and "Gel-Coat Cracks in oc1 canoes." Particularly the ones about bonding. As long as there aren't any soft spots or structural issues in the exposed area, you should be able to just re-coat with what you come up with from the two articles.

Running it without gel coat (or re-coating) as in your picture would be bad. If there is some exposed sections of the carbon weave, water could be absorbed into the foam core and cause more problems including leakage (taking on water while paddling it).

Pretty sure there are others with more expertise that may be willing to help or advise on what to do.

#1 Tue, 03/11/2014 - 9:38am

I fix simple cracks with 2 oz glass and epoxy resin. then spray after sanding with 2X rustoleum or Craylon acrylic and let it cure for 3 days in the sun. Works great.

#2 Tue, 03/11/2014 - 8:50pm

Clay Carson has experience with this paint chipping issue. We just got our Stingray 2 out of the shop with the same issue. Clay knew exaclty what was happening and did awsome affordable work. We also have a Fusion with the same issue. Thats going in next after the great results we had. The water was getting in between the hull and the paint. You should get some feedback from him and a quote. At least you will have a better understanding about whats happening and your options for a successful repair. Save time energy and money.

#3 Thu, 03/13/2014 - 3:06pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.171 seconds.