Flatwater OC1 preferences

Hello, I am new to the forum and would like some input on this question. I race flatwater canoes and surfskis presently and want to get into OC1 paddling. What is the fastest flatwater OC1. for conditions of 2 foot wind chop and below.
Regards
Brad

Submitted by bbrex on Tue, 03/31/2015 - 2:34am

Honu

#1 Tue, 03/31/2015 - 8:53am

nah nah, Hurricane, Pueo, Ehukai, XS.

We frown upon Hurricanes in our river Time trials, because they are so fast in flat flat conditions.

#2 Tue, 03/31/2015 - 8:57am

I like and paddle Huki's I have two at the present both V1X. I live and paddle in Lake Havasu City AZ and we do have a lot of windy days. Yes the Pueo and Hurricane's are really fast in flat water but with the wind chop and boat wakes my Huki's seem to out perform the other OC1s. My brother just got a Hurricane and I can say it is fast and glides great but with all conductions I seem to beat him in a 8 to 10 mile race.. Just my opinion Good luck ....

#3 Wed, 04/01/2015 - 7:10am

Hi,

We've got a good-sized group of guys at the Washington Canoe Club who paddle and race small boats (in addition to OC6s) here on the Potomac in Washington, DC. Because of our location, we're mostly training on flat water -- the days when there's a stiff southerly fetching straight upstream from Virginia are a real and rare blessing.

Anyway, I'd echo the comment that the Hurricane (especially the new generation single-piece super light boat) and Pueo and Ehukai are probably the three best readily available OC1s for flats, with the Hurricane beating out the other two in true flats and also small chop, unless you're running with the wind and waves (lower bow volume and narrower entry = more speed). Contra 427Cobra, one of our stronger and bigger guys paddled a Huki (V1X, I think -- the big-boy boat) until we ran a series of time trials a couple of years ago and he discovered he was faster in a Hurricane, although I can imagine situations when the Huki, with its plumb bow and presumably longer length at the waterline, is better.

Probably the real answer to the question of "What's the fastest flat water OC1?" is a V1, unless it's windy. We just got one for Paralympic training through a grant program -- loooong, skinny hull, low profile -- but right now it's off limits to those of us without ability differences.

Cheers,
Nate Day
WCC

#4 Wed, 04/01/2015 - 8:59am

Aloha Nathan,

I will be in the DC area in May for a week and as a paddler that goes crazy out of the water for 48 hours, would you folks allow a one week resident from Maui jump in the boat once or twice?

A hui hou

Joel

#5 Wed, 04/01/2015 - 10:15am

The old Sea Lion OC-1's are fast in the flats. I think they are fiberglass so repairs are a little easier also. I think 2' wind chop maybe too big for a Sealion.

#6 Wed, 04/01/2015 - 10:38am

Hunt around for a rare Tom Conner's Cutlass stored away somewhere, which is perhaps the fastest time trial OC-1, hand layed up by the Master himself. Much faster than the Olympic K-1 Eagle that he converted to an OC-1, around 25 years ago. Or install a small K-1 rudder on one of today's state of the art Tahitian style V-1's and really blow away all the OC-1's in the flat.

#7 Wed, 04/01/2015 - 11:12am

Nate I went with the Huki for the very reason that the conductions in Lake Havasu change quickly. We can go from flat water on one side of the Island to 20mph wind on the other side. sometimes we can go wind surfing on the lake and the Huki high volume boats seem to work a little better for me. I am 205lbs and a power paddler, My stroke is longer with power rather than the short , shallow fast stroke. I seem to be able to paddle longer with the long stroke.

#8 Wed, 04/01/2015 - 5:42pm

@joelmkrause: just sent you a message to your ocpaddler account.
Cheers,
Nate

#9 Fri, 04/03/2015 - 4:51am

We are picking up 4 New Huki's for our friends living in Lake Havasu AZ I bought 2 myself.One V1X and one V2X. Can't wait to get our new canoe's home. Just in Time for Tempe Town lakes race Oct 3 and The ADR in Parker AZ that's the fun one at 11 miles long. and over 500 people entered....OC6 OC2 OC1 SUP Kayaks Surfskis It is going to be fun...

#10 Thu, 09/03/2015 - 3:09pm

At the USCA Nationals this year on the Allegheny River in PA we had two Storms, two XS's, and one Hurricane racing the 15 mile course. Interestingly, the XS's were faster than the Storms in the deep, but the Storms were faster in the shallows. The Hurricane paddler had too long of a rudder and keep bumping stuff, slowing him down, so I can't comment on how his boat compared. Of course, not many outrigger paddlers are running fast, shallow rivers, but just in case you were curious... :)

#11 Wed, 09/09/2015 - 8:32am

Fastest flat water OC1, hmmmm, well i was in that pact at the nationals, 1st and 2nd place boats were both Storms, i was in the second place boat, that being said in deep water conditions and waves, the Storm is best if you are 180 plus, i'm 172. When i got my Storm i also had a Hurricane, took both boats down to a deep water lake, no wind, i just had to know, and people who know me know i'm precise, using GPS, 8 runs, 1/8th mile, Storm 10 to 12 seconds faster. I don't own a Hurricane anymore, i recently bought an Antares, best setup boat so far, 17lbs, time trails coming. But don't hold your breath.

#12 Thu, 04/21/2016 - 3:21pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.185 seconds.