Olamau 2012

With the race less than one week away i'm surprised this thread isn't going....

If you've been living under a rock and aren't sure what Olamau is check this site: http://olamaurace.com for the full details. But in a nut shell its a race unlike any other to date: 3 Days, 3 Islands, 90 Miles aaaaand 50K prize money up for grabs! Oh, and its an Unlimited Canoe "Iron" race… There are no length, weight or design restrictions on the canoes except that no sails, solar or any other artificial means of propulsion are allowed. Each crew consist of 9 paddlers but only 6 paddlers participate in each leg of the race.

AND you can watch it LIVE on the internet thanks to Ocean Paddler TV: http://olamaurace.com/images/live.html

Here are the crews:
1. Team Pacific Northwest (HCRA Spec Mirage)
2. Team 404 Simple Mobile #1 (Cali)(Pure Unlimited Canoe)
3. Team 404 Simple Mobile #2 (Cali)(Pure Unlimited Canoe)
4. Team Hui Lanakila (Kapa'a: Kamanu Composite Unlimited Canoe)
5. Lanikai Canoe Club (Kawainui: Kamanu Composite Unlimited Canoe)
6. Team Livestrong #1 (Unlimited Canoe- Name/Builder?)
7. Team Livestrong #2 (Unlimited Canoe- Name/Builder?)
8. Team Raimanasworld Tahiti (I hear they are no longer coming)
9.Team Primo/Waimea Canoe Club (Kaapahu: Kamanu Composite Unlimited Canoe)
10. Team Wahine (Pogue (Canada Made) Lightweight Bradley?)
11. Hawaiian Canoe Club (Kaumuali
i: Ozone-(Mike Giblin) Unlimited Canoe)
12. Team Mahina Hoe Tahiti (Ho`omau: Fluid Unlimited Canoe)
***If anyone has info on the "?"s above please fill in.

If you're a tweeter you can follow @HawaiianCC starting wednesday night to see first look at these canoes during the blessing ceremony and continue to get tweets throughout the race all the way to beach finish.

Continue to monitor conditions at www.WindGuru.com looks like its gonna be a smoking race!

Submitted by mauitim on Fri, 03/02/2012 - 11:25am

Hey TIm,
The SoCal Teams are running under the name TEAM 404 SIMPLE MOBILE.
They are racing in Pure Canoes borrowed from Odie and Livestrong. Not sure about anyone else, but see you guys in Maui. Should be fun!
Danny

#1 Fri, 03/02/2012 - 8:21pm

Mahalo Danny,
Updated. See ya next week:)

#2 Sat, 03/03/2012 - 7:25am

Pictures of Kaumuali'i by Mike Giblin (maker of the Hurricane OC1, Tempest OC2, and Storm OC1). First time in the water today, 3/3/12, for a Maliko Run with the Hawaiian Canoe Club boys.

http://www.hawaiiancanoeclub.org/blog/photos

I will be tweeting updates and pictures of Olamau 2012 from opening ceremonies to finish at Waikiki. Please follow along @HawaiianCC. There will be no live feed for the first two legs of the race.

Kaimana

#3 Sat, 03/03/2012 - 8:49pm

Is the Ho'omau canoe from Hilo making it to this race? Good luck to all.

#4 Sat, 03/03/2012 - 10:37pm

tim, 400lb mirage to be exact

#5 Sun, 03/04/2012 - 4:56am

I've seen a few videos of the Livestrong boys training in Odie's Pure canoes... Couldn't tell ya though if that's what they're gonna race tomorrow.

#6 Wed, 03/07/2012 - 3:46am

Looked like fun conditions for day one! Can't wait to watch the updates unfold for days two and three. Go get em primo...

#7 Thu, 03/08/2012 - 1:28pm

After day 1:

1. 2:43 03 Team Primo
  2. 2:47 38 404Simple Mobile #1
  3. 2:49 48 Lanikai Canoe Club
  4. 2:53 07 Team Livestrong #1
  5. 3:05 31 Hui Lanakila
  6. 3:13 23 Hawaiian Canoe Club
  7. 3:21 38 404Simple Mobile #2
  8. 3:31 12 Mahina Hoe
  9. 3:43 46 Team Pacific Northwest
  10. 3:54 26 Team Hanaiakamalama
  11. 4:10 12 Team Livestrong #2

#8 Thu, 03/08/2012 - 3:27pm

i wonder what kind of lineup strategy crews are using. stack the first day, second or third? did everyone go all out today? congrats to the Dana Point guys on such a strong showing!

#9 Thu, 03/08/2012 - 3:40pm

It's actually not Dana Point. The boat that 404 #1 is racing will get shipped to Dana Point OCC after this race.

#10 Thu, 03/08/2012 - 5:06pm

that Dana Point crew is killing it!

#11 Thu, 03/08/2012 - 5:08pm

haha!

#12 Thu, 03/08/2012 - 5:41pm

must have been tough for parts of the race up to the corner after Kahului. After the corner had to be a blast!Same for tomorrow unless the wind turns more east.

#13 Thu, 03/08/2012 - 6:35pm

Wonder why team is not using Outrigger connections 200 pounds M2? The golden canoe

#14 Fri, 03/09/2012 - 8:47am

I think we do have to talk about the Livestrong Team #2 canoe breaking.

Does anyone have any details?

#15 Fri, 03/09/2012 - 8:48am

Yo. Just updateing whats the reality of the Ho'omau, the WB6 from IHE Canoes. Just a little late on the alterations that needed to be made to the individual cockpits. We blew the original cockpit size and had to do them last minute after feedback. They were simply to small and the deck too tall, so too much freeboard. But the most important thing is that the hull bottom is good. So we had to alter cockpits late Wed as of the storm on Tues. Thanks Robert and Na Kai Ewalu for the help a great amount of help. We had a few teams interested to change canoes late but it was just too late. Thats how it goes soemtimes. K. The teams I'm sure had a blast to day on the best downhill course in the state probably. Aurite

#16 Fri, 03/09/2012 - 10:16am

uhhh, reminds me of an old adage: NEVER use any equipment or consume anything for the first time during a competition. Try out whatever it is during practice in case there are consequent problems that need to be resolved. I imagine time constraints played a compelling factor here, but I can also imagine that there are some very disappointed paddlers on Livestrong #2.

#17 Fri, 03/09/2012 - 11:26am

Day Two Results for you non-Facebook/Twitterers:

1: 404 Simple Mobile #1
2: Primo
3: Livestrong #1
4: Livestrong #2
5: Lanikai
6: Hui Lanakila
7: Mahina Hoe (Tahiti)
8: Hawaiian Canoe Club
9: 404 Simple Mobile #2
10: PNW
11: Team Hanaiakamalama Wahines

#18 Fri, 03/09/2012 - 2:16pm

there must be a mix up on the timing or the order of finish or a typo. the Facebook post shows Primo's time as 3 minutes faster but has them in second behind Dana Point. Pictures from the finish show DP finishing first so I assume the error in is Primo's posted time.

#19 Fri, 03/09/2012 - 3:05pm

am I reading that correctly

a grassroots crew from SoCal is in position to take down the Primo all-stars at Hawaii's longest and best downwind race??? wow.

Best not look back tomorrow, Team Primo --- that could be the 404 boys marching you down again!!

Way to go Josh, Danny and crew!!

#20 Fri, 03/09/2012 - 2:55pm

going into today Primo held a lead of 4:35. DP won today's leg by 2:19. so right now Primo is sitting on a 2 minute and 16 second lead. not insurmountable, but also a daunting task in the Ka'iwi to make up over 2 minutes.

#21 Fri, 03/09/2012 - 3:19pm

Hoot Hoot!

Sorry my disappearance but this weather has had me hiding and leaving me all tuckered out.

Listen to the wind and 808 crews will surfing.

#22 Fri, 03/09/2012 - 6:28pm

@anyone who thinks today was surf and 404 kept up.

That might be the best down wind run in the islands but today was no surf run from what the reports say. If we are listening to the wind tomorrow then "the chain" will break, 404 will not win.

#23 Fri, 03/09/2012 - 7:45pm

Breaking news- The concert will be delayed for 24 hours due to extremely loud Fleetwood Mac and the waves that result from loud sounds of wind.

#24 Fri, 03/09/2012 - 7:50pm

From the Olamau Race FB page:

Due to extreme and unsafe conditions olamau race will be delayed 24 hours. The forecast is for winds in excess of 35 knots and seas 11 to 18 feet. In addition there is large surf at the start making for difficult entry. The conditions for Sunday look much more favorable and safe for all people involved. At this point race will start at 9am on Sunday. We apologize to all for any inconvenience!

#25 Fri, 03/09/2012 - 8:17pm

paddlers might as well do Molokai Hoe iron from now on to get ready for this epicness. can't wait to see what unfolds tomorrow... or next year... or the year after that!!!

#26 Sat, 03/10/2012 - 2:57pm

latest observations on Molokai as of 4:30. winds from NE @ 20 gusting to 30. the sun hasn't even come up yet. today will be a huge test of paddler and equipment. have fun everyone!!

#27 Sun, 03/11/2012 - 4:33am

Do you have some details about the broken canoe ? What happened ?

#28 Sun, 03/11/2012 - 9:19pm

From the information that I was able to gather; the crew that was using the Livestrong I'o canoe had huli'd a few times and there was a pretty good amount of water in it. Something was also wrong with the automatic draining venturi system in the boat, so they had no effective way to bail the water out.

Couple the weight of a few hundred pounds of water sloshing around and the conditions of the channel, it just proved to be too much for that canoe to handle.

That's about as much I know. I hope somebody else can help fill in the gaps.

#29 Mon, 03/12/2012 - 2:46am

Yes it was an awesome race and broke down many barriers and shifted the paradigm for outrigger racing in Hawaii.

Yet I think we need more details or the equipment failures, especially from the builder's standpoint. There will be other teams and groups starting to build their own unlimited V6 and having more knoweldge about how to build a structurally sound canoe is important

From my reading of the reports there were 3 canoe issues. Major or minor depending on how you look at it.

Tahiti Team-We have the details-Major canoe failure.

LiveStrong Team 2-Day 1- I didn't hear the details about their canoe problems

Team 404 SimpleMobile #1-Day 3- They lost 30 minutes or so to fix something with their canoe. Don;t know the details.

#30 Mon, 03/12/2012 - 5:57am

The self draining bailers, in a proper application are set above the waterline on most boats, not below. In our canoes they will work with a limited amount of water when the hull speed is up. But when you get a couple of 5 gallon buckets of water in your canoe, you WILL have to do some manual bailing. If the drain is open and you're not moving it is like old faithful.

We installed one on Ho'omau and it worked pretty well, but we never got to test it the conditions these guys were in, plus I can't see 10 or 20 gallons of water automatically draining through a 1 or 2 inch hole in the bottom of canoe under the waterline, effectively.

The only way I can see self bailing working correctly in our situation is either foot pump or some sort of electric bailers that can actually force the water out of the canoe. This is being done everywhere except in Hawaii.

I guess this is where the innovation starts.

When you push limits the limits on the construction side of things, there is always a give and take.

The I'o was great looking canoe and wasn't a cheap build from what I understand, bummer to see this happen.

Just my take on this. This was a great event and it will continue to challenge paddlers and builders alike.

#31 Mon, 03/12/2012 - 9:12am

for what it's worth i don't think any of these boats had ever been tested in conditions like these. to me that made the race all that much more exciting as athletes and equipment were pushing boundaries. there are obviously some build techniques that need ironing out, but once builders have mastered these issues it would seem unlimited canoes can be as reliable as any other on the market. i believe all of the original wa'a made for the innaugural Eono were still on the water and completed this race as well.

as long as sponsors stay involved i don't see this race going away any time soon. obviously paddlers in Hawai'i and abroad have the ability to do this race and there aren't too many reasons not to. bottom line is it's safer to do these iron these races anyway. i know of at least three Hawai'i canoe clubs that are currently planning to purchase an unlimited canoe and are mapping out training schedules for Olamau 2013. provided the world doesn't end this year i'd say there will be at least a doubling of the number of entries next year. there are many Hawai'i based crews that could be competitive. also let's not forget all the great Aussie, Tahitian, and European atheletes out there as well. And ladies? Come on! There has to be more than one crew willing to do this... where were the Beach Girls, Hui Nalu, Outrigger, and team Bradley? They all would have had a chance to finish with some kind of cash prize this year...

also let's not forget there are at least two new molded unlimited boats coming out in the storm and and the fluid canoe. add in an international contingent and things will be really exciting!

#32 Mon, 03/12/2012 - 10:15am

Hope you are right jc9 and this race will stay and thrive. I tried to find something about it in the Star Advertiser...nothing there even in the back of the sports section....they did show the results of the latest air rifle competition though. I do know who or how but it would be good to get promotion out there beyond the blogs and word of mouth, Guy Hagi mentioned it a bit but other then that our local news did not do a good job of covering it. . As a spectator....I am stoked....and congratulations to the organizers, participants, canoe builders and sponsers.. A great event and worthy of a lot more attention.

#33 Mon, 03/12/2012 - 10:30am

You're awesome JC_9. You don't hit the homers like pswitzer does but you have a better on base percentage. But really, the great one is .........Who is Eckhart Diestel?

#34 Mon, 03/12/2012 - 10:33am

@ jc_9 I agree.

As far as coverage goes, locally, you almost have to write your own article and submit it to the paper, in most cases they'll run it, well at least here in Hilo, we get very thin papers so they'll put just about anything in there, lol. You can submit video to the cable access too.

I like the effort ocean paddler tv is putting into the promotion of outrigger paddling,with the televised live coverage concept and national cable spots, it is a huge undertaking. I hope they can continue to refine the process and keep it going.

#35 Mon, 03/12/2012 - 11:32am

it would seem part of the budget for a new race on the block should be to have a publicist and newspaper reporter on retainer. i also had a depressing look at the star advertiser this morning. we've had this exact experience with HVA races. every year we email a press release to the Advertiser with big hopes. the following morning we wake up to no story and no results. this despite the fact that we annually host near 100 paddlers from Tahiti, the PNW, Australia, Maui, O'ahu, and Kaua'i for the Race Around the Hat.

i'm not sure if it will help but i'm writing an email to the sports editor for the Star Advertiser, Paul Arnett. i encourage others to do the same. here's his info: parnett@staradvertiser.com or call him at 529-4786. Is it worthwhile to email or call the TV news director as well? They'll probably never send a reporter to the beach to cover all the finishes of a multi stage race, but they've been known to use videos submitted by viewers.

on a positive note, i'm donating money to my club on Kaua'i to help us get a new unlimited boat. I encourage others to do the same at their club. i was saving my money for a new one man this year, but instead that money will go towards helping my club out. Never thought i'd be thinking like this again. this new style of paddling really is that much fun to me. with any luck i'll be out there on the line next year with my club... i don't say this to toot my own horn, but to encourage others to help where they can. if a broke ass like me can do it then i think a lot of paddlers out there should be able to do the same. if a crew of young bucks fills that boat and i get cut, all the better!

praying my wife doesn't see this post till it's too late.

#36 Mon, 03/12/2012 - 9:07pm

Rant on the simplicity of draining water out deleted ..

aloha,
pat

#37 Mon, 03/12/2012 - 2:47pm

Would be great to get a guy like surfer/paddler Fred Hemmings on board...lots of connections and he did a lot (soul surfers might not have liked it) to get surfing into a professional arena.where sponsorship and interest threw a lot of money into surfing. This kind of race would qualify and should qualify for something more then paddlers doing a lot wala au about it. Its the state sport...its a life style..it is worldwide now and can become a lot more. I am going to also email the advertiser and there are some newscasters who surf and paddle who would support better coverage...maybe we are too late on this one but next year the race deserves some COVERAGE. Ocean Paddler is great and have to thank them for their efforts and the great job they always do for the sport.

#38 Mon, 03/12/2012 - 2:50pm

Where have you gone, Dayton?
Paddling is part of Hawaiian identity, huge part of Hawaiian culture; its recurring absence from the local paper means part of Hawaii's daily news isn't being told. If the Star-Advertiser doesn't want to tell it, then maybe it has lost touch. (Maybe we are delusional on this website, thinking that paddling still matters, but I don't believe that we are delusional.) I think the big paper is part of the big machine, the one that will soon show Peyton Manning smiling at the podium of his new team in an ENORMOUS color photo...because that is what is believed to be important to its readers. Meanwhile, Kanaka Ikaika will run the Oahu Championships on Sunday, and, absent any effort from us, Peyton Manning will remain a FAR more important news story.
I'd just like to see the Star-Advertiser let go of its belief that it has to match what the Detroit Free Press and LA Times is reporting on, and be "the Pulse of Paradise" that it claims to be every day on Page One, providing coverage of HCKT events, Olamau Race, Race Around The Hat, OC1 and SS1 seasons...THAT's what is going on in paradise.
Congratulations to all the race directors of Olamau Race 2012. You put on a great event. Aloha.

#39 Mon, 03/12/2012 - 3:17pm

I think you guys are delusional for thinking the newspapers still matter. Who goes to newspaper to get sports news. Focus the energy in what manny doing with the jr crews. Getting more people competitive at a younger age so the races aren't only close in the first 10 min. This will make it more spectator friendly.

#40 Mon, 03/12/2012 - 6:56pm

haha, good stuff niner!

Watching the tweets, status updates and text messages come in over the weekend was unreal. The race format was everything I had hoped for ..and more. The organizers jazzed it up with different colored flags and shirts to differ the leaders and runner up, as well they posted well written wires on what was happening during the race. Also the fact that there was only a dozen teams competing seemed to make it more interesting to follow, and highlighted some new talent. I also imagine it must have been a dream for the paddlers, a lot less chaotic and stressful for coaches, safety and organizers. Just my reaction.

I'm curious what the top crews are thinking now, considering unlimited spec and iron. Does it level the playing field a bit? Primo's time was 4:38, same time they had in Hoe, albeit different course and format.

Congrats to all the teams and paddlers that were part of this, and a tip of the hat to Olamau organizers, Right Arm et al, you guys have done a great thing, mahalo!

#41 Mon, 03/12/2012 - 7:50pm

jeremy, before reading your last line I was like "ooops, hope his wife won't read this" ...

#42 Mon, 03/12/2012 - 8:59pm

ha. Hiro that was actually an edit after i'd written that whole thing. i'll be in trouble for a few reasons with that post.

after rereading this thread i have to disagree with one suggestion. kids should not go out and join an all star team. they should pick one club or system with good coaches and better training and stick with it. dial a crews are a thing of the past. find the best coaches and be a part of a strong nucleus. build something you can be proud of. don't just paddle your one man and wait for the magic phone call.

#43 Mon, 03/12/2012 - 9:14pm

Jc9_0, no truer words were ever spoken.

Around here the club management even encourages dial-a-team. Those same folks playing fantasy football with their own club members (and ringers they bring in) seldom show up for an OC-6 practice themselves.

Then they're surprised at the % of membership turnover.

#44 Tue, 03/13/2012 - 3:31am

To add to the "dial-a-crew" discussion, I wasn't there, but this race seemed to emphasize the fact that crews do better that are familiar w/ each other. On paper, for example, each of the top teams could have included guys that were "faster" (on oc1 or something), but they seemed to instead go w/ the guys they've been paddling and racing w/ consistently. So in essence, I think, the fear that these elite organizations (Primo, Livestrong etc.) would undermine the team ethic in paddling has proven to be unfounded. In fact, they seem to have had the opposite effect.

#45 Tue, 03/13/2012 - 4:51am

gotta ask this, since Simple Mobile was so damn fast in the flats and upwind will the paddling world see them in Hawaiki Nui?

did the Olamau guys say anything about next year? Odie, you there?

#46 Tue, 03/13/2012 - 7:25am

My respects go to all the people that made this race happen. Very progressive and intense.

Quick comment on canoes. Simplified volume and weight calculation might surprise you. A six person outrigger full of water could weigh more than 3,500 pounds. Note I said simplified, not beyond the realm of possibility.

Again awesome event and glad everyone made it home safe.

#47 Wed, 03/14/2012 - 9:50pm

I can't resist commenting in regard to this statement:
"And ladies? Come on! There has to be more than one crew willing to do this... where were the Beach Girls, Hui Nalu, Outrigger, and team Bradley? They all would have had a chance to finish with some kind of cash prize this year..." Them's fighting words! But I agree... where were they?

I cannot speak on behalf of any of the potential crews you mention. I can only speak for myself as someone who helped organize one of the few women's crews that completed the Eono race last year. I was very tempted to organize a crew for this Olamau race. With $50k in cash prizes advertised, I thought that at least a small amount might be angled toward a women's division. When I inquired about that, however, I was informed that there was no women's division. The women would be competing against the men for the same overall awards. With the high costs for a race such as this (~$7k+ for a local crew?), I just couldn't afford it. Not that I would only ever enter a race because of a chance to finish with some sort of cash prize. Some of the more elite crews might be influenced by that. From my perspective, it would have been nice if a women's division was at least recognized. As it turned out this year, the only reason the women's crew even qualified for $1000 at the end was because only 11 canoes entered and 2 canoes didn't finish the complete course. Those women were amazing, strong and could beat many men's crews, but do you really expect them to finish ahead of elite men's crews? They deserve their own division. Or if they don't have a division, maybe the race fee could be reduced?

I have much respect for ALL the crews that competed in the Olamau race. Maybe one day I will do it myself... as it was this year, I still found it super exciting to follow online, watch them pass at Portlock and then see them come in at the finish. A fantastic event that I hope continues.

#48 Thu, 03/15/2012 - 12:03am

I really don't think the race organizers really thought about divisions when creating this race. They kept it simple, left the drawing board open for everybody and in the end, the fastest crew won.

As this race grows, (as I hope it does) I think a women's division will certainly appear.

#49 Thu, 03/15/2012 - 2:10am

I have to agree with Rachel. I am happy for the progress that's been made in "Unlimited" Canoe Design.
However when it comes to "Unlimited" Racing, not having a Women Division or getting prize money only because other teams didn't finish, leaves a smudge of "Limits" on the other half of the human race.
Great opportunity missed in an inaugural event.
Full disclosure:
I am the father of my daughter.

#50 Thu, 03/15/2012 - 8:15am

This is the only specifications that were outlined for the race:

"Olamau Race is the Ultimate Unlimited Outrigger Canoe Challenge in Hawaii. It is a 90 mile open ocean race that will take place over three consecutive days on March 8, 9 and 10, 2012. Prizes will be awarded for each leg of the race as well as for overall race performance. Please refer to Prize Distribution pages for further information on prize breakdown. There are no length, weight or design restrictions on the canoes except that no sails, solar or any other artificial means of propulsion are allowed. Canoes must have an Ama and only outrigger paddle blades are permitted, no kayak or double bladed paddles are allowed. Each team may consist of a maximum of 9 paddlers, with 6 paddlers participating in each leg of the race. No changes to paddler personnel will be permitted during the race, no exceptions."

They pretty much left the door wide open for any crew of any makeup to compete in this race. They didn't discriminate or even specify what gender should be racing. You guys are picking at nits here.

#51 Thu, 03/15/2012 - 9:06am

A change to require a mix of F/M ?

aloha,
pog

#52 Thu, 03/15/2012 - 10:05am

I would think it would be up to the Sponsor to decide what divisions to honor. Personally, I like the idea of it being a pure shootout. The best overall winner and purse money going to the top 3.
I think the Sponsor is in a no win situation. If they were to offer money to a "women's" division, then there would be sour grapes to why the women's purse is smaller.
Let's see some increased participation before we kill this race with a bunch of rules. Just my opinion.

#53 Thu, 03/15/2012 - 11:25am

Slideshow of Lanikai's Olomau Race:
http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4d7a41314e544d304e444d3d0d0a&blogview=true

#54 Thu, 03/15/2012 - 1:43pm

hmmm all perspective I guess. the way I look at it is team Pacific Northwest had about as much a chance of winning money as this years women's crew. so was money their motivation for flying all the way to Hawaii to do this race? PNW's cost was far and above more than any other crew on the water and yet there they were. if I were to do this race i'd have no chance at winning money. but I'd still do it. my only regret next year when i'm on the starting line is that i missed this year's race.

my point is that there are thousands of women in Hawaii who paddle, heck, in the world that paddle. there were nine that took the challenge. there are also tens of thousands of registered male paddlers in Hawaii. hundreds who paddle at a very high level. minus the PNW, Tahitian, two Californian, and womens crew, that leaves a grand total of 6 LOCAL men's crews out of the 11 in the race. people are saying the race is expensive and they have no chance of winning money so it's not worth racing. then why do any other race?

name one other major race that the top ten crews have a chance of winning money! despite this hundreds of crews turn out for the Hoe, Kona, States, etc. they show up to paddle because they love it. what this money does is ad an element of excitement and entertainment for the spectators (paddler or not). look at how interested everyone is in the outcome of this race all of a sudden... 99.9% of us will never compete with the best paddlers. but it's great fun to be out there on the water with the best of the best and see how you stack up. whether it's 10, 20, or 120 minutes behind.

how much time were paddlers given to save up money for this race? i think the info had been online for about a year or so. save $90 a month for a year and you've banked $1,080. if it costs $9,000 to field a crew, then with a nine person crew you've just paid for your race. sorry, i'm not buying the excuse that it's too expensive. so what's the real reason?

no it's not about female vs male for me. it's about the lack of turnout from all the local paddlers. kudos to Lanikai, Hui Lanikila, Livestrong, Primo, the women's crew, Simple Mobile, and especially team pacific northwest. those crazy bastards flew thousands of miles to do this race. if you read my previous post and it hit home with you then obviously a part of you feels you should have been out there. that goes for everyone, regardless of sex.

EDIT: good job Hawaiian...

#55 Thu, 03/15/2012 - 9:00pm

Jc, Hawaiian raced too ;).... Just sayin'

#56 Thu, 03/15/2012 - 5:27pm

I really hope my comments dont sound sexist because thats certainly not my intention.
Rachel, I really think you have missed the whole point of THIS race, it was always going to be an experiment and due to the hard work and commitment of the organisers and the gifts from Mother nature it was a true CLASSIC.
I was lucky enough to paddle with the PNW crew it cost me nearly $2'000.00 in airfares and took over 20 hours there and back and I would leave again tomorrow to do it again.
I plan on going next year even in a spec canoe again and by then I will be 52 years old and happily lining up in the open division.
I believe that I left the race with more treasure than the Primo boys.
http://youtu.be/wJdBDqXD3Ns

#57 Thu, 03/15/2012 - 6:18pm

Well said Kev. BTW, if you're looking for another 50yo to keep you company next year, I'm available. Can steer a bit as well. ;)

#58 Thu, 03/15/2012 - 6:36pm

Where are the detailed results and times for all three days?

#59 Fri, 03/16/2012 - 10:30am

No, I am not "missing the point" on the idea about this race. I think it was amazing and I wish I had been a part of it. However, the question was asked "where were the women" and I tried to provide a perspective toward a part of that answer. Not the answer for everyone, but for some of the more elite crews I think it may have been a factor.

Everyone has their own reasons for racing. But you can't pretend that the cost isn't a factor in a race like this. It was significantly more expensive than most other races, partly because of the requirement (perhaps necessity) of an escort boat for all three legs. In the lead up to it, from the conversations I had with a few people from different teams, I got the impression that many of the men's crews (perhaps half?) thought they had a chance of winning it. For those teams the potential cash prize was definitely an extra bonus/motivator on top of the awesomeness of doing the race. That extra motivator was never on the table for a female crew. Just sayin'...

As for the PNW crew -- You guys went above and beyond in terms of cost, commitment, everything. Big respect. I was one of the people that made sure to help lift your canoe out of the water at the end in Waikiki.

It is not just about the prize money. But that is a BIG part of what made this race different. They were pushing the envelope to see if big prizes could make it more interesting (e.g. marketable) to the masses. We can't pretend that it didn't influence people's decisions on whether to commit to such a big race or not.

#60 Fri, 03/16/2012 - 8:28pm

Rachel, yes they are valid points that you raise and claiming "you missed the point" was the wrong thing to say.
I thought it was such a bold exciting change that it seemed trivial to criticize it in its first year for it's lack of divisions, but to be honest I hadn't considered from a womans perspective , so for next year I hope they do have a big womans prize then I can help lift your canoe out at the finish. Thank you and Aloha.

#61 Fri, 03/16/2012 - 9:13pm

WE DIDNT. WE WENT TO TEST OURSELVES.

#62 Mon, 03/19/2012 - 7:43pm

Most i have learned about paddling and myself and my friends.

#63 Mon, 03/19/2012 - 7:44pm

I'm speaking for myself, as I'm not 100% certain that my crew, Team Hanaiakamalama (how lucky am I to be on that crew!), agrees with me. We were aware from the get go that there was no division for us and it was more than likely we would not place to win anything. The opportunity to participate exceeded my expectations. The test of the unknown and how I/we would hold up was expected, with some trepidation. Throw in all of what was anticipated and then everything else that came with the weather, power outages, etc...it was a huge test indeed. Each day that has passed since the race I feel a little more rested and dream of doing it all over again (maybe a little less rain). I haven't looked a photos from the race for a couple of days because if I start, I could just sit there and gaze at the beauty of it all...for far too long. Kudos to Mike Nakachi and all of the Olamau support. Adjusting to the ever changing conditions and logistics was made as seamless as possible by their tireless efforts. Olamau did break new ground, they can organize their race however they want.
And to my crew mates....words can't express my love and admiration....Boom boom!

#64 Tue, 03/20/2012 - 2:51pm

found this online... anybody got any other pics?

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&rlz=1C1RNPN_enUS423US42...

#65 Wed, 03/21/2012 - 1:29pm

@ lavapaddler, thanks for the free ad ;)
Those pics come from facebook. Lool for "Olamau race", the pic of the broken canoe comes from Odie Sumi 's Facebook account.

On this other page on my blog I did publish a link to a diaporama made by someone who followed Lanikai, and a movie by team PNW. http://tuaruavaa.blogspot.com/2012/03/olamau-2012_15.html

#66 Wed, 03/21/2012 - 7:57pm

found this

and this

#67 Thu, 03/22/2012 - 11:31pm

Here is a trailer to a video some of the PNW boys are putting together:

Rachel, thanks for helping the PNW crew with our boat at the finish. i think i might have been right next you carrying the iako. much mahalos!

#68 Fri, 03/23/2012 - 9:22am

news coverage:
http://www.midweek.com/three-days-three-islands-90-miles/

#69 Fri, 03/23/2012 - 10:18pm

not to sound like a money hungry bastard, but the last sentence in that article caught my eye. possibly double the prize money next year... $100,000.

i actually got the chance to exchange emails with the organizers and they say there are several improvements in store for the 2013 Edition of Olamau. people better start thinking up better excuses if they're not going to show up...

#70 Fri, 03/23/2012 - 10:35pm

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.482 seconds.