Best OC-1 on the Oahu market?

Looking for experienced paddlers' own input about what brand and style Canoe you like, if you could chose to buy any NEW canoe you wanted right now?

Submitted by 1Pake on Sun, 04/25/2010 - 10:17am

IPake, this should be interesting.

#1 Sun, 04/25/2010 - 2:54pm

im pretty sure everyones answer is gonna be "its all up to you", "go out and demo all the boats you can" "pueo hands down best boat" "hurricane best in flats" "v1 great trainer and who needs an oc1?" "OC best surfing canoe" "scorpious you dont even need training to be on top"

#2 Sun, 04/25/2010 - 3:21pm

1Pake - if you can be more specific you will get a better answer.

All new boats are good. You may loose ~ $ 400 value in the first year if you take very good care of it - is that about right ?
Prices for new start at ~ $ 2900 before taxes.

#3 Mon, 04/26/2010 - 7:54am

i think hes asking peoples opinions on the type of canoes they like and their input. If your looking at boat placements at races id say pueo hands down.

#4 Sun, 04/25/2010 - 6:23pm

Good luck.

#5 Mon, 04/26/2010 - 10:30am

Does nobody look through old threads? I mean the solo canoe thread is still on the main page.

#6 Sun, 04/25/2010 - 8:10pm

the way i look at it, hes asking a legit ? irregardless if its been posted before, he figures he can get answers w/ out the sarcasm of people whining about doing a search. if you dont want to post anything helpful then dont post in his thread. just read and pass it by.

#7 Sun, 04/25/2010 - 9:34pm

totally agree with kauai74. bruddah asking for some opinions/help, obviously he didn't see the previous posts. like kauai74 said; no one is forcing you to read or respond to his post. most people just skip the subjects that don't interest them or resist the urge to make useless comments. bruddah was asking a simple, legitimate question, either help him out or just keep on scrolling. be like da guy Shurlock giving the guy some helpful info.

#9 Sun, 04/25/2010 - 11:15pm

So thankful for the information, I'm really sincerely taking in all the information that I can before I finally buy my dream kanu.

BTW, 1Pake = Pake Girl. Hence I'm looking for a smaller sized kanu (I'm 5'3", 121 pounds) and also trying to ascertain the reputations and reliability of the different brands.

Anyway, Mahalo for the input, it's truly appreciated.

#10 Mon, 04/26/2010 - 3:15am

1Pake, with your size, I would be looking at one of the smaller canoes as you suggest. The main contenders will be the Pegasus, Fuze, Osprey, Hurricane, and Kahele. All of these canoes are well made. Kai's Pegasus is a favorite for many smaller paddlers, as is the Hurricane. There is not much information on this board concerning the Osprey as it is the newest canoe on the market. However, since we are talking about your "dream kanu", the best advice has already been given. That is, test paddle each of these canoes in the conditions you plan to paddle and get the one that you are the most comfortable on. Pick it up, carry it around to see how easy it is to move around. Having a comfortable canoe that you have no issues handling will keep you on the water. Otherwise, you may have an expensive garage ornament.

#11 Mon, 04/26/2010 - 4:13am

i would go w/ the pegasus, seeing how lauren has dominated on this canoe. plus its a fairly small boat and maybe perfect for you... but feel for you would be the best answer. i would try to demo a pegasus aand a hurricane and get the gist of it all and make sure you and the kanu feel like one. goodluck sistah.

#12 Mon, 04/26/2010 - 6:26am

check out the difference in the women's times in last Molo solo. lauren would dominate paddling a 2" x 8" plank! lol. but seriously, for your size i'd check out and demo a pegasus. i own and paddle one, think it's a little too small for me but a great boat! a coupla my friends paddle hurricanes and like them but feel the pegasus is a better all-around boat. i guess jus gotta go with what feels good for you. all the newer boats are good. good luck!

#13 Mon, 04/26/2010 - 7:34am

Consider the Naia Iki as well.

With 120 lbs you can paddle the smallest, narrowest hull available - least drag.
Beane Heen(?)'s new boat from Big Island may also be a good choice.

In case you live close to Kailua, Oahu, everybody is on the beach around 5 pm, except Tuesdays, or Sunday am and you can ask all
the questions and look at boats.

#14 Mon, 04/26/2010 - 8:08am

Thank you soooooooooo much for the information! SUPER helpful!

#15 Tue, 04/27/2010 - 2:56am

Thanks Eckhart, followed your advice and bought a used Naia Iki, which is so easy to handle by a kid. Although it shares the same name, it is entirely different than the Naia. I bought it for a growing middle school padler (almost same size as 1Pake) and not for me, since I sink it at 230+ pounds. 1Pake: the main thing is can you handle the canoe by yourself without any help? So size shape and weight should be considered. And what are you going to do when the canoe needs repairs or fixing? How fast can they fix? Or how long you willing to wait? Indeed, demo the boats and establish relationships with the designers and builders, for the real service occurs after you take delivery of the canoe. If buying new, check the waiting list, you might have to consider buying used if you want the canoe immediately.

#16 Wed, 04/28/2010 - 9:18am

1Pake - most of us had a share of accidents - hitting the reef, collision with other boat, or, a must for every beginner, 'ama under' in the surf break, then fall unto the ama and break it in the middle.

Also handling on a car, trees, rain gutters, corners of your house, wind - the OC 1 has many enemies.

It hurts when you have the first dents in your new canoe.

Koakanoe - same here, too heavy for the Naia Iki; I would love to try that boat.

#17 Wed, 04/28/2010 - 9:14pm

I love this Vidio,,, the Super man Canoe

#18 Thu, 04/29/2010 - 5:56am

Eckhart: I paddled it (standard layup Iki) and yes it sank to just about an inch below the gunnels, but hey, once you pop it, it's like a bullet and really takes off. Good work-out boat for me to do intervals in the flat, for it takes more energy to get it to plane than a bigger canoe with my weight. Heading out and around DH Buoy was a struggle for me, but once in calmer waters, the canoe took off. I'll try it again sometime when I'm 70 pounds lighter? I recommend the canoe for all paddlers under 150 pounds, especially kids and senior citizens who want an easy canoe to carry around. Now, got to try the 17 pound version.

#19 Fri, 04/30/2010 - 9:11am

I wish I could do that to my canoe and still have it weigh 20 lbs!

#20 Fri, 04/30/2010 - 11:07pm

Eckhardt, thank you for those tips and information, most especially about things that could happen to the OC-1. That's good food for thought.

#21 Sat, 05/01/2010 - 5:12am

Please register or login to post a comment.

Page loaded in 0.324 seconds.